The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pro as in Idiot

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well it seems Godfrey is happy with the ipad++ but the rest of us really want a real computer in a tablet format (and remember we're photographers here and hence a skewed demographic).

Personally, the only machine I've seen that piques my interest is the Cintiq Companion 2 i7/512gb model but it is critically flawed by running windoze which I do truly truly loathe.

Yes, a surface pro 3/4 hackintosh would make my day and get my spare $$

Godfrey

Well it seems Godfrey is happy with the ipad++ but the rest of us really want a real computer in a tablet format (and remember we're photographers here and hence a skewed demographic).

Personally, the only machine I've seen that piques my interest is the Cintiq Companion 2 i7/512gb model but it is critically flawed by running windoze which I do truly truly loathe.

Yes, a surface pro 3/4 hackintosh would make my day and get my spare $$
I'm neither happy nor sad about the iPad Pro. It seems a good iPad, regardless of the name, but I prefer a smaller tablet. If I were considering an iPad as a full laptop replacement, I'd have no problem with the Pro, but I have plenty of laptops to suit all my needs.

I noticed that they obsoleted my iPad mini 3 with a new iPad mini 4. It's a little thinner, has the A8 vs the A7 processor, has an 8Mpixel camera instead of 5Mpixel, and an updated Bluetooth chipset. Modest changes, no real need to upgrade my mini 3 for the present.

What is a "real computer"? :rolleyes:
I don't seem to have any difficulty doing the work I want to do with the iPad mini 3 and iPhone 6, including some of my photography.

G

4season

Wise man once said something about desire being the root of suffering or at least shopper's angst :) I'll leave that Wacom device to people who have an immediate need for such a thing.

I'm still pretty happy with my 2nd generation iPad Mini (even if I don't use it for photo editing).

iiiNelson

LOL! If you're going to ridicule the marketing, at least get the marketing names right. That's "Apple Pencil", not iPencil ... rather similar to "Pencil" by 53 (to go along with their Paper and Book products, see http://www.fiftythree.com).

So the takeaway from your last note is that what you and "all those others who are complaining" (haven't seen very many) are really all upset about is that Apple called the bigger tablet "pro" rather than "plus".

G

(BTW, it seems to me that there's a healthy market for iPad-compatible stylus products: There are at least a dozen on the market. It seems to me that this might actually be a product that many people who use the iPad in a professional capacity need or want, it seems many consider the iPad a pretty good tool for drawing, sketching, and illustration. Perhaps that's a clue as to whom Apple is addressing with the name... ;-)
I think you're misunderstanding the perspective of many and being an Apple apologist in the process.

I don't have a problem with the marketing per se or the stylus at all. I actually own a Wacom stylus already specifically for Paper by FiftyThree for the last 3 years or so. I have no issue with people using an iPad professionally but a "Pro" designation would suggest a different class of tablet than an iPad... Something that the Surface Pro models provides.

Godfrey

I think you're misunderstanding the perspective of many and being an Apple apologist in the process.

I don't have a problem with the marketing per se or the stylus at all. I actually own a Wacom stylus already specifically for Paper by FiftyThree for the last 3 years or so. I have no issue with people using an iPad professionally but a "Pro" designation would suggest a different class of tablet than an iPad... Something that the Surface Pro models provides.
As I said: "So the takeaway from your last note is that what you and "all those others who are complaining" (haven't seen very many) are really all upset about is that Apple called the bigger tablet "pro" rather than "plus". "

I would have named it "iPad grande" myself, in keeping with the "iPad mini" naming, but they don't listen to me. :)

G

iiiNelson

As I said: "So the takeaway from your last note is that what you and "all those others who are complaining" (haven't seen very many) are really all upset about is that Apple called the bigger tablet "pro" rather than "plus". "

I would have named it "iPad grande" myself, in keeping with the "iPad mini" naming, but they don't listen to me. :)

G
Thank God Apple didn't do that... I know they have a habit of attracting the "Ugg boot" crowd in the fall much like Starbucks does with Pumkin Spiced flavored drinks that have no business being Pumpkin spiced but thankfully they didn't call it the iPad Grande, Venti, or Trenti...

Well back to enjoying my iPhone 6s Pro... I mean Plus... I get so confused about what's "pro" these days.

Godfrey

Thank God Apple didn't do that... I know they have a habit of attracting the "Ugg boot" crowd in the fall much like Starbucks does with Pumkin Spiced flavored drinks that have no business being Pumpkin spiced but thankfully they didn't call it the iPad Grande, Venti, or Trenti...

Well back to enjoying my iPhone 6s Pro... I mean Plus... I get so confused about what's "pro" these days.
What's an "Ugg boot"? Never heard of that. (Yeah, I could google it, if I was interested enough. ;-)

IMO, naming anything "Pro" these days is just empty air ... Just like the use of the term "Macro" on horrible zoom lenses that can't touch doing anything remotely related to macrophotography in any sensible way, or using "Limited" on a Buick that is one of half a million made. It's simply not descriptive of anything or means anything other than "this is a different model from the one named without the 'Pro' on the end of the name."

Of course, I'm not in charge of these things... I wouldn't have named it iPad in the first place!

G

V

Vivek

When "pumpkin" tastes too sweet and smells like cinnamon, it makes no difference as to to how it is called. Horrible concoction.

Lars

Jorgen, you're holding it wrong.

Seriously though - Apple must be at least thinking about a Surface Pro competitor running OSX. Adapting OSX to touch would be a momentous task though (ask Microsoft) so I can see how they are avoiding going there. Adding iOS app support to OSX makes more sense.

Perhaps an ARM on steroid? Forget thin and light, make an iPad for Jorgen? Probably not enough market, plus it might be seen as a failed attempt at matching the performance of a SP3(4).

What remains is making an x86 version of iOS then, to run on an x86 iPad Pro Plus, and port all iOS apps. Doable but costly and risky (again, ask the guys in Redmond).

I'm sure sooner or later Apple will choose one of the paths above. I'd guess within the next 24 months we'll see some variation of high performance Apple product with a touch screen. But I did say that ten years ago as well. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, you're holding it wrong.

Seriously though - Apple must be at least thinking about a Surface Pro competitor running OSX. Adapting OSX to touch would be a momentous task though (ask Microsoft) so I can see how they are avoiding going there. Adding iOS app support to OSX makes more sense.

Perhaps an ARM on steroid? Forget thin and light, make an iPad for Jorgen? Probably not enough market, plus it might be seen as a failed attempt at matching the performance of a SP3(4).

What remains is making an x86 version of iOS then, to run on an x86 iPad Pro Plus, and port all iOS apps. Doable but costly and risky (again, ask the guys in Redmond).

I'm sure sooner or later Apple will choose one of the paths above. I'd guess within the next 24 months we'll see some variation of high performance Apple product with a touch screen. But I did say that ten years ago as well. :)
Ironically, the MS Lumia 950 XL (yes, that's a telephone) seems to be more "pro" than the iPad Pro:

- Support for micro SD card up to 2TB (only 200GB available at the moment)
- Replaceable battery
- Can connect to keyboard, mouse and large monitor

The only thing missing is the ability to run Photoshop CC.

I had a look at the Surface 3 the other day, a device that is much cheaper than the Apple, but does run a full version of Windows 10, and thereby Photoshop etc., has a full size USB 3 contact, micro SD and so on. It doesn't look as elegant as the iPad, but why would I care? The Surface is high on my shopping list now.