The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

any dyslexic RF users here?

cam

i know this is a long shot, but....

i'm dyslexic. not as bad as many, but... it sucks when you've got your lens around where you think it should be, bring it to the eye, and voila! you automatically twist it in the opposite direction of where you want to move it.

i think i am the only person on earth who actually likes the stupid infinity locks on old lenses because it tells me i've been going the wrong way.

i've, obviously, always had this problem, but playing with the Nocti has me ready to slit my wrists. no, not really, but it is mighty frustrating.

is anybody in the same boat as me? any tricks, tips, that might sink into this thick skull of mine?

thank you in advance.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I read a hint a long time ago. Can't say that I actually follow this, but it might work for you. Push the focus to infinity after every shot. Then you will always have to bring it back the other way to focus and you will get used to that.
Have you tried the Steer from Dirk? (LOL, probably wouldn't want to put that on the pretty Nocti, would you.:ROTFL:)

Ben Rubinstein

If it's any help I have an eye condition that specifically stops me from being able to rangefinder focus, the double image comes together with focusing then just as it's about to line up, jumps apart again. Due to distortions on my cornea. Oh well, never liked manual focus anyway.... :D

cam

that's very interesting. i will definitely have to try that.... my goal was to "fine tune" but since that isn't working... thank you!

as for the Steer, no, but i was thinking of picking up one for the 75 Lux. never thought of it for the Nocti -- which, by the way, is not so pretty by the usual standards. circa 1975 (58mm so does the Steer even fit?), there is a nice white ding at the 1.2 focus mark (just before which there is a mysterious glitch in the otherwise smooth focus). but i think my boy is handsome, nonetheless.

oh, and i picked up a Sigma filter to protect it until my B+W comes. every punter that looks at the lens now thinks i have a Sigma on the camera :ROTFL:

cam

If it's any help I have an eye condition that specifically stops me from being able to rangefinder focus, the double image comes together with focusing then just as it's about to line up, jumps apart again. Due to distortions on my cornea. Oh well, never liked manual focus anyway.... :D
that must be more than a bit trippy, Ben, wow! good thing you like AF!

my problem is that i truly am enjoying using a rangefinder and shoot a lot wide open. for the streets, i have a bunch of older lenses so even though they're wider and i'm stopped down, zone focussing isn't always enough either.

i know this won't seem as bad when i stop trying to do "street" as well as other stuff with the Nocti's huge focus throw. i'm using it exclusively right now to learn it and it's just exacerbating a problem i've always had. thought it was time to ask for help....

Ben Rubinstein

The condition only started a few years back and it wasn't till I was almost tearing my hair out trying to focus my 4X5 that I realised that something screwy was happening.

O

Oxide Blu

I have a mild issue with manual focus to, but it doesn't manifest until after the 1st bottle of wine, and then grows exponentially worse after that. So far its been self correcting by mid-day, the following day.