The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zero refractive index meta-materials? Do they affect lens development?

Stuart Richardson

I was just reading this article about new materials and how they might revolutionize computing, but it struck me that if it is a material that has no refractive index, it would also have the potential to revolutionize lens design. Of course, I have no idea what I am talking about, but perhaps someone who does could weigh in on this? I guess lens design would require elements with all kinds of refractive indices, but I would imagine that having one that offered no refraction at all might also be useful. Perhaps either as clear glass elements (as in a filter etc), or if they offered some other manipulation of the light, without otherwise changing the refractive index.

Does anyone out there know a bit more about optics and have an idea if this might affect anything?

V

Vivek

Stuart, Zero or even negative refractive index materials are being considered (theoretically) for construction of "perfect" lenses.

I am unsure if it would get translated (when developed) to real optics for imaging, especially in the visible light.