The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luminous Landscape going pay-to-view next month

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting for sure. I do understand the cost issue and trust me I have not seen a check in years it seems here. That's not a joke either.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No problem with that. LL is a valuable source of information. The amount is also so modest that it's affordable even on a third world salary :)

jlm

Workshop Member
with 30,000 active members claimed by LL, that is not a bad cash flow and the tithe per member is peanuts.

i suggest this site do the same thing

V

Vivek

i suggest this site do the same thing
Terrible advice! Good luck!

It will be interesting to see how many of the so called active 30,000 plus members will still be active.

What are they selling? User contributed contents are being peddled along with the reviews/videos from the owners? :confused:

rayyan

I would pay to view that site.

As I would also pay to view GetDPI.

The price is very reasonable. People have become used to freebies. They start thinking that somehow it is their right to have good sites free of charge.It costs time and money to run, moderate and maintain a good site. Free loaders are a plenty.

V

Vivek

$1/month for the privilege to get spammed. :LOL:

We will also be regularly making special offers available from various companies exclusively to members. Often just one of these discount offers will cover the cost of your annual subscription.

Brian Mosley

I think it's a very clever move - get the membership into the 10's of thousands and then charge a negligible subscription fee... Especially when you have some decent materials (training videos) which you can throw in to entice the membership.

I would certainly pay that for the Ming Thein blog, especially if the training materials (which aren't selling in enough numbers to generate regular revenue) were included.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

I would pay to view that site.

As I would also pay to view GetDPI.

The price is very reasonable. People have become used to freebies. They start thinking that somehow it is their right to have good sites free of charge.It costs time and money to run, moderate and maintain a good site. Free loaders are a plenty.
+1

I'd rather pay a small tithe for useful information and conversation than have a site beladen with advertising garbage like photo.net.

G

wattsy

Interesting development. $12 per year is very good value indeed if you like the website but I wouldn't be surprised if the owners have grossly overestimated the number of people likely to cough up. IMO the content isn't compelling enough to bother with the (even very minor) hassle of going through the subscription process, irrespective of the cost. I can imagine a reasonable proportion of the few hundred forum regulars there will subscribe but can't see many others doing so.

Guy Mancuso

I'm a little gun shy on the second part of it with selling the members email to preferred vendors to offer you deals. I'm not saying that because I have a interest here in Get.DPI

My problem is the unwanted emails that get to about 75 a day now. Owning guymancusophotography I get spammed so much I can't tell you. The money is not the problem, sealing off the forum off from the public can be a big issue though, you don't get fresh people but I'm not sure how they will do that end of it.

I would like to see us do it for the much needed revenue but I refuse to offer emails out to vendors on our members. It's not my call though

V

Vivek

Interesting development. $12 per year is very good value indeed if you like the website but I wouldn't be surprised if the owners have grossly overestimated the number of people likely to cough up. IMO the content isn't compelling enough to bother with the (even very minor) hassle of going through the subscription process, irrespective of the cost. I can imagine a reasonable proportion of the few hundred forum regulars there will subscribe but can't see many others doing so.
Well said! :grin:

jlm

Workshop Member
quite a few sites allow reading, maybe not seeing images, for no registration (paid or non-paid); once you sign (maybe pay the subscription) you get full privileges, can post, see image content, search, B/S, etc.

offers a way for casual viewers/potential subscribers to get sucked in

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Kevin Raber is a businessman first and a photographer second LOL. I think it's a good idea and a smart move for them. And it will be interesting to see how they fare.

Like Guy alluded too, there isn't a lot of money in running a photo-forum site. We just about break even on the costs of running and maintaing this site from our paid advertisers. We get a teeny bit from the Amazon and B&H links that makes up the rest, but since we updated the software and those two links only being on the first page, our click payments from them have decreased significantly. (Bob, look into that! LOL) Other revenue is a handful of you are regularly generous with the donate button and we do appreciate that as it all helps.

I have no doubt our regular usership would be willing to pay $1/month to support us and their passion. The issue becomes attracting and keeping new passionate and active users -- sometimes a membership fee can be a barrier to that.

Regardless, I applaud LuLa management and wish them a lot of success with this new move!

Guy Mancuso

Kevin Raber is a businessman first and a photographer second LOL. I think it's a good idea and a smart move for them. And it will be interesting to see how they fare.

Like Guy alluded too, there isn't a lot of money in running a photo-forum site. We just about break even on the costs of running and maintaing this site from our paid advertisers. We get a teeny bit from the Amazon and B&H links that makes up the rest, but since we updated the software and those two links only being on the first page, our click payments from them have decreased significantly. (Bob, look into that! LOL) Other revenue is a handful of you are regularly generous with the donate button and we do appreciate that as it all helps.

I have no doubt our regular usership would be willing to pay $1/month to support us and their passion. The issue becomes attracting and keeping new passionate and active users -- sometimes a membership fee can be a barrier to that.

Regardless, I applaud LuLa management and wish them a lot of success with this new move!
I would love to do it in a way but I don't want to see us selling out to venders with people's email. If we can avoid that Jack I'm all in. It would help us but again we want to attract new users as well. Maybe free for 2 months kind of thing. Something we can talk about

I agree Kevin is there to generate money first and foremost. Lol