The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just because...

Scanning some old images tonight, from my very first camera. Got it in 1964.

Kodak Fiesta camera-001-2.jpg

This shot is from 1968. Some of my school chums.
St John's gang - June 1968-1.jpg

I probably should have kept some of my early cameras. Very reminiscent:)
I sold nearly all my early camera gear as I upgraded, but have reacquired most of it via eBay in recent years. Most of them fully functional.

(I still shoot the Rolleiflex and the Leicaflex, occasionally.)
Camera display-004.jpg

Tim

That Rollei 35 caught my eye. Lovely little camera.

I've just been through and scanned 99% of my film.
The 110 and Instamatic film was ok to scan as I just put it in the 35mm holder and can crop it later.
To be honest I was not totally happy with the process of what I did, some I didn't corrected for colour at the beginning then I did later on.

Many many of my images were more for memories and highly unlikely to be printed so to save disc space I scanned only to HQ jpg, correcting the colour before the scan.
Anything that was either edit or print worthy I scanned as tiff so that I have more data to work with.
Its a tough call and disc space may be cheap but is anything more than jpg worth it if its a "low value" image?

This disc film stuff I am stuck on short of cutting it out of the center holder.
I want to keep the disc film intact as a novelty but still scan the images.
I am yet to find someone that can scan it.

Godfrey

This disc film stuff I am stuck on short of cutting it out of the center holder.
I want to keep the disc film intact as a novelty but still scan the images. ...
Build a jig to hold the film, then use a macro lens and copy setup to capture them. Once you have the negatives captured into raw files, convert them to DNG format. Then you can use the Adobe DNG Profile Editor to create a camera calibration profile to invert them and filter out the orange crossover mask.

Getting the setup right takes a bit of time and effort, but once you have it down it's a cinch to capture all of them to quite nice JPEGs. I've captured a bunch negatives this way when they would not work in any of my scanners due to odd formats or excessive curl.

G

Tim

then use a macro lens .

G
Considering the negative size I feel I should try to go beyond 1:1 ratio.
I am not adverse to buying something to fill the need.

What would be a good choice of lens for this job?

Added: I do have access to an old Olympus C5060 with add on macro tube.
I will investigate if this can do the job.

Godfrey

Considering the negative size I feel I should try to go beyond 1:1 ratio.
I am not adverse to buying something to fill the need.

What would be a good choice of lens for this job? ...
If I recall, Disc format is close to Minox 8x11. I used a 35mm Macro lens with a 1.4x extender on FourThirds format to achieve 1.4:1 magnification, netting a near format filling capture.