The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

advise on model

jonboring

Hi Folks

I am trying to help a model ... single mom age 27. She wants to get into modeling and asked me to shoot her. She's entering the Hooter's Calendar contest and needed some photo's. I'm a landscape photographer but I gave it a try.

Can you guys / gals who shoot models professionally take a look at this pic (next message) and tell me what you think about the model? I know the pic stinks so save your breath on that. I am looking for some advise to give this very nice young lady about her prospects of getting into modeling, what type of modeling she might be best suited for and any other advise / comments you care to share.

This is a completely raw untouched image. Shot with 5Dii and L70-200. I'd be happy to send a link to the raw file if you need that.

Graham Mitchell

It's hard to judge based on one photo, but to be honest I don't see her as standing out from thousands of quite pretty women, and there are certainly more beautiful, more photogenic and younger models who will be beating her to the more glamorous and better paid jobs. She could get work as a 'people model', as some call it. In other words, being a mum in catalogue shots etc. I think that's her best bet.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Her hands look out of place and old. She needs to look at least makeup on them as well as just her face or some photoshop work.

They really jump on in the third shot.

LJL

Who is looking at her hands ? ! ?
Actually, Doug, after the initial blast from above, the hands jump out....looking quite mannish. I really did not want to comment on this sort of thing, as I think this is the wrong kind of forum for this sort of critique. We can talk about lighting, posing, color, processing, etc., but talking about the physical characteristics of a person feels out of place. Something better done on one of the modeling forums, I would think, but it feels strange going there with this forum of contributors.

So, I apologize to the woman if my above comment was offensive, and that is pretty much why I did not jump into this thread when it first appeared. But since a few others have offered some comment, and your quip was to elicit a bit more prurient direction, Doug, I thought to chip in anyway :eek:

LJ

O

Oxide Blu

... I am looking for some advise to give this very nice young lady about her prospects of getting into modeling, what type of modeling she might be best suited for ...

I think you/she is going about this backward. You start with the kind of modeling she wants to do -- attitude is a significant part of successful modeling -- and then figure out how to exploit her attributes in that area.

Personally, I think the ink is a problem, you area seeing that with the placements of her hands. It limits the kind of modeling she can do.

jonboring

i posted the shots here because I trust your views more than some of those other sites. I have known some of you (virtually) for several years and I know there are some exceptional photographers here (that do this type of work). Also, I think we can critique a model and do it in a professional manner.

Thanks for the comments. Remember I'm looking for comments on the model and her potential, not the images. I'm a landscaper / classic b&w's and don't shoot people much and know the images aren't that great. This is a very nice lady ... single mom who's had some really bad breaks in life ... just trying to help her. Attached is another pic.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Best shot of the series so far and good post work too.
I am sure that there is stuff she might be able to do, but it might be hard for her to find regular work; actually, EVERYBODY is having that problem right now.
I do think that she could work on her posing, maybe hold her head up more and work on hand position and develop several expressions to convey different moods and attitudes.
There is a lot to modeling besides height, weight, and measurements.
I know of several men and women in my area who get occasional assignments, but can't get enough business to make it a sole profession and many of them do event work.
Best of luck to her.
bob

jonboring

Thanks everyone. I've gotten some good feedback here and a few sent me PM's so I'm good to go. The feedback was fairly consistent so now I know how to advise this nice lady.

Lars

Here's a light attempt at retouching, a skin retouch filter I've been working on, sorry to hijack the thread. The smoothing needs to be properly masked, in the screenshot it's just a straight filter, plus some dodging over the face.

Last edited: