The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon better watch their back

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Some Spanish nerds have checked what kind of cameras this year's World Press Photo winners used to take their winning contributions, and as many have suspected, professionals are leaving the ancient click-clack/flip-flap technology of yesteryear's DSLR cameras behind in droves. 100% of one of the photos was taken with the revolutionary, new Fujifilm X-Pro1, while only a paltry 28 images were taken with Canon DSLR cameras, slightly ahead of Nikon, who was used by 12 ageing photographers, most of whom are probably sick or dying already, since these photos were all taken as far back as last year.

Here's the original article:
Las cámaras del World Press Photo 2016 | Quesabesde

Here's an English language interpretation:
The Cameras That Captured Winning Shots in World Press Photo 2016

I will now go to the inner chambers of my apartment to rub some life-enhancing oil into the old DSLR, hoping that it will bless me with another few days of photography before it's ready to be melted down and later reborn as shiny new 500MP mirrorless wonder, featuring the latest Android-Windows 72.5b picture enhancement system and ready to mount the new 5.5 kilogram 50mm lens necessary to capture candidates for next year's competition :cry:

Last edited:

drofnad

... as many have suspected, professionals are leaving the ancient click-clack/flip-flap technology of yesteryear's DSLR cameras behind in droves.
I don't think that many suspected the mirrorless cameras to have replaced DSLRs for photojournalism, esp. of the rough-&-tumble nature. (Though when I saw photos of one not-large woman PJ in action w/her NikonS + pro lenses, I couldn't help but hope that she could benefit from some significant size reduction!) The comments were interesting, with one remarking at a basic problem :
People [who] risk their lives for photos aren't willing to risk their lives to change out another battery or find a place to charge the 8 spares they need to carry to make it through 1 day of active shooting.
Now, are there some other photo contests in other arenas to check?

I will now go to the inner chambers of my apartment to rub some life-enhancing oil into the old DSLR
Btw, I didn't see any D2Xs among the winners!
(But, as we all know --at least we who give up the GAS chase--, "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" : which implies that you (or maybe someonElse) rub yourself with that oil. :thumbup: )

On the more serious side (a risky venture for me),
I like to play a little "contest" game each time I come to GetDPI forums, seeing what the Viewing count is for each (will m4/3 "beat" Leica & Nikon this time?). I recall that shortly after the D800 shook the earth with its 36mpx someone posted to the MedFormat forum a query asking how this might affect users; he was hiss-booed not to sully the glorified e-waters of that forum w/35mm talk, and Bob moved him away to the Nikon corner. (I might've even reached out to ... someone, to convey an objection --I wasn't registered at the time--: I saw it not as a suggestion of equivalence, but of adequacy and meeting needs). Well, now some year(s) later, I usually see that it is the SONY forum that tops the tally, w/Med.Format diminished from its former overwhelming lead. Is that a coincidence, or has the old query found an answer in actions speaking louder than words?

-d.