The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Melody Ranch

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
On the way home from dinner at a friend's house last night, I accidentally discovered the Melody Ranch. I'd been sampling the latest from a local Micro Pub and halfway home on the pitch-dark back roads, I urgently required some, um, relief. Just as I was about to pull over and find a convenient snow bank, I saw the sign for what looked to be a roadhouse or bar. I gratefully pulled into the frozen mud of the parking lot and went inside. Instead of a bar, I discovered a dance hall/flea market/used book emporium. It was line dance night at the Ranch!

I went back to my truck, retrieved my M8 and proceeded to shoot a bunch of B&W jpegs at ISO 1250 and 2500. The people were friendly and didn't seem to mind. What I discovered is just how much I have to learn about shooting moving people in a dark space with a rangefinder. Wow. I now have a real appreciation for cameras that have higher ISO tolerances too. These jpegs were a bear to work with and the noise is, well, noisy.

So, for your enjoyment a Saturday night in rural Maine. Comments/ suggestions welcome. More than one of the dancers invited me back to this event as well as several other venues where they get together and dance. I might just go.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Tim,
Maybe we ought to go to Vasselboro to the Grand View cafe
-bob

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Great shots! Isn't it wonderful when one just walks into such a place and has a camera at hand.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks John! At least part of the wonderfulness was the friendly reception I received as a complete stranger with a camera. I felt like family in no time.

O

Oxide Blu

When I saw the title of this thread I thought for sure you were somewhere in Nevada getting yourself in trouble -- fun, but very expensive trouble. :D

That is a very nice series of pix. :thumbup:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Oxide. Very different kind of story for that other ranch! I bet they'd be friendly there too. ;)

ecliffordsmith

Hi Tim,

A nice series. I personally dont think you have done a bad job on the noise at all. Are Were they very bad out of the camera?

It says a lot of good things about the hospitality of the people in your area that you can walk in and be made to feel welcome!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Ed! I spent the first 30 minutes with the M8 set on DNG and Fine at auto ISO and they were all unusable because of noise. I then retreated to JPEG Fine at 1250 and seemed to hit a usable sweet spot. I don't think they're that bad and none of the ones shown here have had any noise reduction applied.

Lloyd

Wow. Great stuff, Tim. I especially like the final two shots.

I've also found that at high ISO, I tend to get better results shooting jpg. No in-camera sharpening, and contrast set to high or med-high.

Fun series. Love to see more.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd! I do intend to go back again. Hopefully I'll have more to show at some point. Next time I won't be carrying a load of Oak Pond Brewery's Nut Brown Ale which should make me a little quicker on my feet and with fewer thumbs on my hands. ;)

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd! I do intend to go back again. Hopefully I'll have more to show at some point. Next time I won't be carrying a load of Oak Pond Brewery's Nut Brown Ale which should make me a little quicker on my feet and with fewer thumbs on my hands. ;)
LOL...Got it!! :thumbs:

BTW, this shoot might be my fav of the series... brilliant!