The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Will the other M-P be re-named "Slip"?

drofnad

Leica announces special edition M-P in red table tennis bat rubber: Digital Photography Review
"Leica announces special edition M-P in red table tennis bat rubber.
//
The red rubber will have the raised pips that table tennis players use to spin and control the ball, which Leica suggests will give the camera sure handling – and the nickname M-P ‘Grip’.

Only 79 kits will be produced world-wide, and when they become available in November they will be priced at $14,950/ "
It's been a lonnnnnnng time since I was more intimate w/ping-pong rubber(s), and so I did a quick --well, it was expected to be, but ... (wow!)-- check on the state of the practice, and, yes, there are still some many modern rubbers made with "pips out" vs. having smooth playing surface. And the prices are well higher than what I recall (such as I do), but still one could to self-wrapping/-gripping of your camera and have a LOT of change left over from $15k !! --even toss in a table & paddle & balls!

(and rubber comes in other than red, btw)
Table Tennis / Ping Pong Rubber at Paddle Palace

;)

ps: Wasn't sure if this post should go to Leica forum, or to allll of the others! :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Leica announces special edition M-P in red table tennis bat rubber: Digital Photography Review

It's been a lonnnnnnng time since I was more intimate w/ping-pong rubber(s), and so I did a quick --well, it was expected to be, but ... (wow!)-- check on the state of the practice, and, yes, there are still some many modern rubbers made with "pips out" vs. having smooth playing surface. And the prices are well higher than what I recall (such as I do), but still one could to self-wrapping/-gripping of your camera and have a LOT of change left over from $15k !! --even toss in a table & paddle & balls!

(and rubber comes in other than red, btw)
Table Tennis / Ping Pong Rubber at Paddle Palace

;)

ps: Wasn't sure if this post should go to Leica forum, or to allll of the others! :ROTFL:
Nah, but think about it: add a short monopod and your camera doubles as a ping pong paddle. If that isn't saving money, I don't know what is :lecture:

V

Vivek

"Leica is all about utility" and then they slap this coarse table tennis rubber on a thing of past.

A swivel LCD would be much more useful. :lecture:

drofnad

Nah, but think about it: add a short monopod and your camera doubles as a ping pong paddle. If that isn't saving money, I don't know what is :lecture:
To this end, we should want to know much more of the artist's design.
Where the rubber hits the ball (apparently a slightly larger one, now!) --such claims as:
Scramble 21 Ultima EX
Double-High Tension sponge adds an extra Ultima dimension, giving explosive rotation and speed. With the fantastic new JUIC Ultima sponge, JUIC compensates for the larger 40mm ball by successfully adding "Tension" to the sponge itself. Thinner, stronger ...
//\\
As a defender you are reliant on rubbers with a maximum of feeling and fault tolerance. Andro Backside 2.0 C offers you exactly these important characteristics! The extremely spinny, almost sticky surface allows precise balls full of rotation that will drive your opponent crazy.
//\\
Beautry is a great new short pips rubber from Nittaku with increased spin performance, enhanced by the unique design with maximum diameter, minimum height, and minimum pip density.
The vast number & variety of rubbers aside, I'm pleased to read so many compliments on a rubber from way back, still in use (I thought I knew of Mark >IV<, but ...).
I returned back to competitive play in 2008 after a 9yr hiatus. because of the changes in rules and technology it took me awhile to adapt to the modern game and its equipment. nevertheless, after 3 different blades and as many rubber sheets, i decided to have a custom blade built to my specs; after many different combinations of rubbers: chinese,german,japanese, tacky, sticky, etc. i decided to try 2 sheets of mark v that were on my stiga offensive from 99. not only is the mark v complete in all aspects of the game, its characteristics are consistent and trustworthy. unlike the current rubber technologies, mark v plays with you, not for you...call me a traditionalist, but you can have every so-called new rubber technology, because in the end its the true player that makes his play and equipment a weapon not the other way around.
(And, no, the writer wasn't named Godfrey! :D ]

And, yeah, something about "40+" balls, now. I need to get out more. And cameras get a nod in a comment:
Best TT balls In the universe !
Made in Japan means alot to me when it comes to quality. Japanese cars, Nikon cameras and Nittaku 3-Star Premium and Made in Japan...doesn't get any better than this.
Still, I think that GAS has less vigor in the TTennis world. They have pips (in or out, long or short), but not mega-pips.
And blades top out at less than $300 (rubber & glue not includ.

-d.