The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Giving Us a Power We Don't Have

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"I am stunned to learn, from a comment written by Peter Adamski to the previous post, that
"On the 16th of February, the U.K. Government passed a law (in the Counter Terrorism Act) making it illegal to take a photograph of a police office, military personnel or member of the intelligence services—or a photograph which 'may be of use for terrorism.' This definition is vague at best, and open to interpretation by the police—who under Home Secretary guidelines can 'restrict photography in public places.' "

To say this is a huge blow to freedom is an understatement. It is antithetical to the ideals and practices of a free people, and illustrates that the creep of totalitarianism continues apace in the West."

Full essay here.

Also read Bruce Schneier essay 'Are Photographers Really a Threat?'

LJL

Take heart, John. At least the U.S. has dropped that entire "enemy combatant" thing, and most of the dictatorial concepts that brought it to light for seven plus years. While there is a concern over how "terrorists" could use this sort of information, we are essentially losing that war every time we erode the existing freedoms we are fighting to preserve.

LJ

beamon

While I'd float the thesis that a greater advocate of civil rights than I does not exist; I do have the greatest empathy for the quandary that any PM or President in a western democracy faces.

Yes, good photographs of a police officer could reveal the necessary uniform detail such that an antagonist bent of terrorism would be more able to replicate to better carry out an attack. Stretching a point? Perhaps, but where to draw the line? Damned if you do, damned if you don't would seem an apt description. Better to err in the safe direction is the order of the day.

That said, the important thing is that the public MUST insist on and convey to their elected representatives that such legislation or fiat be written with "sunset provisions" that will terminate within a reasonable time frame. These "sunset provisions" would have to be specifically voted upon to be extended. This is not being done AFAIK at this time.

Here in the US, for the last 25-30 years, civics is scarcely, if at all, being taught K-12. Therefore, the younger element of our electorate knows next to nothing about how our Constitution, and by extension, government works. :mad: A democratic republic without an informed electorate is lick smacking prey for a corrupt government. Our founders must be very uncomfortable!

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
You don't need photographs for all the necessary uniform detail. Just stop in at your local police supply store, tell them what department and buy it.

O

Oxide Blu

You don't need photographs for all the necessary uniform detail. Just stop in at your local police supply store, tell them what department and buy it.

Ooooooh! You're going to Gitmo for saying that. :D

beamon

But, would terrorists know that much about the way it might be done? I say 'might be done' as I doubt that all supply stores are that lax, and most will require credentials before selling to unknown patrons.