The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica User Forum

iiiNelson

Okay I don't normally start flame threads on any forum I belong to. I think it's somewhat pointless most of the times but I know a lot of people here have more experience over there than I do.

Is it me or do a large number of those people seem to have an inferiority complex. I just visited there after getting tired of looking at the newsletter from last week in my email inbox and I noticed I had a few photo comments. I don't mind having my photos being critiqued (in fact I prefer it as it presumably helps me to become a better hobbyist photographer.) For the love of God though, is it too much to ask for mature constructive criticism only? Do I really need to know other people's sociopolitical stance (on a photography forum) in relation to a particular photograph (the same one in my gallery here with a picture of a gun.) Do they really think I care enough about them to change how I feel? I guess this isn't so much a post to be negative of LUF, after all that's how I found this great place, but it wouldn't be a bad thing for some of the people over to play in traffic on a busy 12 lane highway during rush hour... just my opinion.

*Okay maybe that's a bit harsh...

fotografz

That's the internet for you.

A dollar to a donut ... that forum and a few others is why this one exists ... at least in some part.

Guy and Jack are the antithesis of some people over there ... and it's apparent in the intelligent and forthright manner which members of this forum exchange information and even disagree. It's civil and mutually respectful in tone and manner, and seems to be staying that way.

When I found out this forum had been formed, I purged the LUF and the p.net Leica forum out of my bookmarks bar and threw confetti in the air. :clap:

Just my personal opinion.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I could add maybe a novel here on that but lets leave it at the cliff notes for now. First and foremost is photography and the pursuit of it is to learn , share and bottom line have fun. Than the ultimate goal is to produce art and anything outside those lines is BS. Even as a commercial shooter that does this for pay at the end of the day we should love what we do. In that vein is why there is a GetDPI.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
When I first bought my M8 I was over there all the time trying to dig up some Leica wisdom. It didn't take long for me to realize that while there may actually be some wisdom planted in there, the amount of compost and rocky soil makes it too difficult to harvest. I haven't been back there in months and actually feel better for it. I don't think there's a single question regarding photography that I couldn't get answered right here in GetDPI-land.

iiiNelson

I agree. I went there originally to get some information on the D-Lux 3 and the M8 which I thought about saving up for at some point. I stayed around for information on the D-Lux 4 and figured I'd upload a few shots over there. I just happened to go there a few hours ago and saw people had left me comments. One was favorable and the two others were very immature and were not necessary in any way.

That said I'm very happy this forum exists. I tell most of my friends interested in photography to check it out and it's one of the tabs automatically generated when I open Firefox.

jlm

Workshop Member
crazy as it may sound, i do go there from time to time. after a while you get a thicker skin and the popcorn eating icon starts to make sense as you watch the soap opera unravel

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It seems to be a problem that hits all forums as they get larger, and it's unfortunate that it has now hit LUF. IMO it is a product of uncontrolled and/or poorly managed forum growth, and frankly something I hope we never have here...

iiiNelson

crazy as it may sound, i do go there from time to time. after a while you get a thicker skin and the popcorn eating icon starts to make sense as you watch the soap opera unravel
I have pretty thick skin actually but I really don't have time for nonsense when it comes to invading what I consider my "personal space." Like I said I can take constructive criticism but when I get the maturity of an 11 year old from an adult consistently enough I tend to be "turned off."