The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question to all members?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now Jack and i own this place and typically everyday I read all forums and mostly all posts. The question is and just for kicks , does everyone pretty much do the same thing. Or do you just hang in one forum and not look around much. Also what is your favorite section you like the most and what the heck, what is the least favorite section for you.

Guy Mancuso

Now if it is the B&S section . I am calling your spouse or significant other to take your CC away. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Just kidding but I thought this would be a fun topic. I love getting to know people and what there likes are. :thumbs:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I look all forums but spend most time in "Small Sensor", '4/3 Sensors', Leica digital, Canon, Analog Cameras (really like your adding this area) and Sunset Bar.

trisberg

I look for new posts and read the ones where the subject sounds interesting. I usually look at anything related to Sigma DP1, small sensor cameras and Micro Four Thirds plus anything related to film vs. digital.

I also look for posts from certain photographers that post some superb images here on the forums.

I would say that I look at about 20% of the new posts.

-Thomas

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Guy

I read the GETdpi forum everyday that I can get an internet connection. I find the interests here to be heavily focused on "Gear" and most photos are demonstrations of what the gear can do. I enjoy this and find the insights to be invaluable. I tend to think of this site as being about cameras and lenses . This is not a critique as I believe that understanding what you can do with your equipment is an important part of the process. Its one of the key capabilities of a successful photographer.

You and Jack have attracted an outstanding group of contributors . You actually moderate the place with some compassion. At the same time you get after people that go out of bounds.

I visit the LUF daily but have really given up on posting as they seem to have too many "experts". They are really not open to a discussion. Burn.org is my favorite website for discussion of photographs. I would admit that I still don t get it ..but I am learning form the discussion. I check out Luminous Landscape but this site is not publishing much anymore ..but its an excellent site for the "arm chair traveler" . I also read the Online Photographer and check out Nikon and Leica Rumors( on Leica stuff..I can send them the scoops from here!).

And I subscribe to both Digillyod and Reid reports for the in depth analysis of gear.

Thinking about this site ..I wouldn t really change a thing..you have niche and are very good at it .

Thanks to you,Jack and the moderators.

Roger Dunham

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Roger I would like to se more on the images also. We have some great shooters here and most of it does relate to the gear overall but I do encourage more discussion on the why and how of getting a image.

back alley

i come by several times a day and normally hit 'new posts'. i gravitate to the 4/3rds section always and then just look for an interesting title, especially in the classifieds.
i moderate at another photo forum so i am on the net quite a bit and like to roam to several sites to see what's going on.

i like gear talk but also appreciate many of the images posted here as well.

joe

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks Roger I would like to se more on the images also. We have some great shooters here and most of it does relate to the gear overall but I do encourage more discussion on the why and how of getting a image.
Guy My observation wasn t a critique ....there is a benefit to staying focused and becoming really good at one aspect of photography. It is unlikely that any site can really be good at all things. At GETdpi you can enjoy different types of photography (say the Magnum style of street shooting verse the perfection of an image as is seen on the MF forum)......and still benefit from the give and take on equipment. I think most of what I learn is how things actually work out in the field ...more discussion of how a lens draws verse its MTF readings in the corner.

GetDpi is my first site to visit when I log on .

Roger

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm addicted to the "New Posts" link and pretty much read the topics regardless of subject matter. I've learned stuff from every one of them and continue to be impressed with the quality of the images people share. Occasionally I'll give up on a thread if it veers off into deep waters that don't really resonate, like maybe advanced studio gear or some of the MF threads. But even then, there's stuff I can stash away for a maybe someday.

The image posting and "critique" are all of the friendly kind, it's very helpful and "safe" for folks to post. Nobody need fear that their photographic attempts will be sliced to ribbons or that they'll have to take a beating. More stringent critique has it's place for those who want it and have developed the skin to withstand it. But this is a good place for all skill levels to share--lots of encouragement and good nature. In order for a more "serious" critique thread to flourish we'd all have to take both the role of posting photos and the role of reacting to other's posted photos to a higher level. Not as easy as it sounds.

iiiNelson

I read many forums but I consistently read GetDPI, a few different 4/3 Forums, and I drop by DPreview a few times a week to check headlines. I also read a few Photography blogs with 'Stuck in Customs' being one of my favorite ones right now.

As far as the sections that I check off the bat here are the Small Sensor, 4/3, Leica, Canon, and Sony. At times I check the For Sale boards and I find myself scrolling down to check the Sunset Bar more frequently now than in the past.

Lisa

I check once or twice on most days. I look at the forums that are of any direct interest to me (which is something like half of them), and ignore the rest (for example, medium and large format are terra incognita to me). Favorite is "Destinations", but I also enjoy the "Small Sensors" forum a lot even though only a small fraction of my photos are taken with my Fujifilm digicam, because it's very active with great people doing a lot of interesting things with digicams.

Lisa

cjlacz

I normally check dpi everyday, but haven't been posting much recently. I tend to look at the 4/3s forum, small sensor, gear garage, sunset bar and sometimes image processing and nikon. I normally check the new posts and sometimes read other things that look interesting to me. For sale often gets glanced at, but I'm thankful I'm in Japan. Keeps some of the temptation away.

Lars

My participation goes in waves, depending on workload. LF and Analog Cameras (I have six LF cameras), Nikon, MFDB (wishful thinking), Image Processing, Gear Garage (keeping a sceptical eye on Mac and Drobo comments - surely you guys must be brainwashed :D), and of course Sunset Bar for my daily fix. I seldom look at New Posts as I feel that most discussions are outside my field of expertise or interest. I stay far away from the Leica forum, as a precaution, nothing good could possibly come from approaching that group ;)

GetDPI seems to still attract the "right" kind of people - knowledgeable, professional, unbiased (except for me of course :D). My guess is that it's the MFDB focus that drives this development.

L

LivingFiction

I've lurked here from time to time for awhile, but only started posting... tonight.

I usually keep to the Nikon forum, the processing forums, the image forums, and general discussion. Don't have much interest in reading the forums dedicated to camera equipment I don't own. Last thing I need is motivation toward more toys!

woodyspedden

I get on everyday that I have internet connection.

I read both the small format and 4/3 as i am thinking about buying the G1 as a backup to my M8. I have been following very closely for about two months as i find that as with any new product which has value there is initial euphoria followed by a lot of good data about limitations. So after a couple of months you can start to formulate some conclusions.

I always go to the M8 stuff as that is my primary camera.

I am stilll learning the Hassy 39 and MFDB in general so I always read the MFDB thread.

Finally, B&S. Go ahead Guy and call Phyllis. She thinks she has already taken my CC LOL.

Woody

Diane B

I generally read the 4/3rds forum first but check all the new posts and read those that appeal to me. Even though Canon is my main system, I admit I never read that forum LOL. I tend to check a couple of times a day--my 'home' page is set to open with getdpi as part of my 'home' tab set--not sure if that's good or not LOL.

Diane

fotografz

Every day, religiously. Best group on the internet IMHO.

MF is important, and the folks there are quite knowledgeable. The Nikon forum was VERY helpful when I swapped from Canon ... very grateful for the addition of the Sony forum. And the on-going addiction to the M keeps me reading that forum. Have had very interesting conversations on lighting both on forum and off with members.

Absolutely love the analog forum, and the pics folks are posting there ... stuff like that keeps that medium alive and gets people interested in exploring film or coming back to it.

F/S? Best place around.

What's to not like?

You and Jack are to be congratulated ... hip, hip hooray! :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Honestly it's all about you folks that make it what it is. Good , bad or indifferent . Certainly is my home on the web.