The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PHOTOS in the NY Times today

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Dave

I just finished reading the article over at Starbucks. Last summer I spent two days on the Brooklyn Bridge trying to get similar shoots ..so I looked at the pictures and know what it takes to get them. I enjoyed the one with the tanks in the background as it provides the most "context" to the location.

Can I ask "how did you get the assignment" ..getting anything into the New York Times is a dream. I read the NYT ever day and try to get a feel for why the picture editor used each image. Best original photography I have found.

dseelig

How I got the assignment was easy after most of life in NY I moved to Idaho 10 years ago. I had some freelance photos in the times in the past, but never an assignment, a writer I know was doing the article and found out I was going to portland he suggested me to the editor and they looked at website and I got the job. They tried to give me a day rate of 200 bucks I held out and got double, newspapers are no way to big moeny these days. Thanks for the nice words. David

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
How I got the assignment was easy after most of life in NY I moved to Idaho 10 years ago. I had some freelance photos in the times in the past, but never an assignment, a writer I know was doing the article and found out I was going to portland he suggested me to the editor and they looked at website and I got the job. They tried to give me a day rate of 200 bucks I held out and got double, newspapers are no way to big moeny these days. Thanks for the nice words. David
Dave

Thanks for the insight......money aside it must be rewarding to see you stuff in the NYT. Nice work.

Roger