The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Things are bad...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We all know things are bad here in the States, but we may not know how bad. Here is a U-Tube video showing one of the many "Shanty Towns" popping up in Southern California. Folks, this is "Grapes of Wrath" stuff, only there are no grapes.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmeHiFZUWtE

Of course the problem is not limited to California. More info: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/us/26tents.html

Maybe an opportunity for somebody with extra time on their hands to do some Lange-ian style documentation...

Peace,

O

Oxide Blu

Not to distract from your doom and gloom, but to put unemployment growth in perspective:

http://www.slate.com/id/2216238/

The bigger the dot, the more jobs it represents.
Blue = job gains.
Red = job losses.
The actual number of affected jobs is in blue or red above the map.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Some of the Magnum photographers did a project on the impact of the recession (I think in December). Each photographer covered a specific location and then created a portfolio around the subject. You can find it on the Magnum site.

O

Oxide Blu

And we have to keep in mind the unemployment numbers do NOT include folks that are under-employed -- people working a parttime job (or two) while looking for fulltime work; and it does not include self-employed folks not able to make ends meet, and it does not include those that gave up on any hope of finding a job.

Real unemployment numbers for the US are estimated over 18%, minimum, and as high high as 22%. At its worse, the great depression was round 25% unemployment.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
My reactions , poor production values. They needed to have not just driven around like they were watching animals in a nature preserve but gotten out and put people and their stories in the images. They should have engaged us with the people living there. Even Bruce "In you face", Gliden does that in his "Forclosures" series. (Florida, Detroit)

helenhill

My reactions , poor production values. They needed to have not just driven around like they were watching animals in a nature preserve but gotten out and put people and their stories in the images. They should have engaged us with the people living there. Even Bruce "In you face", Gliden does that in his "Forclosures" series. (Florida, Detroit)
SPOT ON Right...Very Well Put, John
I totally Agree!!!!!

Its a very Difficult & Sad Time for THE WORLD

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, and hence my point that we need a photographer with some time on their hands to document it Lange-ian style. To be more clear, I wasn't trying to imply the video was good, but rather that the situation is dire and perhaps worth documenting photographically...

Lars

Youtube blocked access to that vid over here, says it's not available in my country.

Things still look reasonably good over here, the Swedish unemployment has climbed at a faster rate than EU average but starting from a lower level. It's likely to get worse before it gets better. At the same time, real estate prices in Stockholm are climbing fast, up 11% in Q1, as a consequence of low interest rates. It's a bit paradoxical.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Agreed, and hence my point that we need a photographer with some time on their hands to document it Lange-ian style. To be more clear, I wasn't trying to imply the video was good, but rather that the situation is dire and perhaps worth documenting photographically...
I'll put on my pedantic hat and say we don't need 'Lange-ian style' but rather Roy Stryker style. The FSA style of Dorothea Lange, Walker Evans, Arthur Rothstein, Ben Shahn, John Vachon, Marion Post Wolcott, Russell Lee, Jack Delano, John Collier, Jr., Carl Mydans and Gordon Parks was developed and fostered under him as head of the 'Historical Section' of FSA. :lecture:

waynelake

That video loaded Ok here. Quite a surprise to see its that bad over there...

In New Zealand the Govt has introduced, for Employers, Employees, to businesses that employ over 100 staff, and just announced for 50-100 staff businesses, a 9 day fortnight for workers. Its all voluntary to be agreed upon between employer/employee + ?maybe union? A few companies have volunteered an interest. The 10th working day is for employee education... paid 4 hours minimum pay by Govt, employer being asked to pay other 4 hours. Its a 2 year trial. A business can choose only one 6 month lot within the 2 years. I have not been following it all precisely though.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Very bad in deed! I wonder whether this situation will reach critical mass in the next 12 months or so.

From a theoretical point of view, the system has failed, and reform is urgently needed. Reform from the core, starting with the FED, ECB, IMF Worldbank etc. would be required IMHO. Currently, I consider the G20 meeting a failure in that respect.

I will not forget the interview with the Bank of Ireland CEO here, when asked about his paycuts, he mentioned to have cuts in the region of 50% this year. When asked what he has left, he answered ....around 2 Million Euro.... :wtf:

PeterA

A different view:

Basically a cabal of large Investment Banks or similar managed to grow their businesses by taping into Asian Countries mounting $US dollar denominated surpluses over the last 10 years. Leverage on leverage on leverage underwritten by a whole bunch of derivative contracts with no thoughts of counter party risk - because the game was the world's ever largest PONZI scheme.

This game saw every major financial center and government benefit massively from the associated growth and taxes received - a virtual circle of BS. The same cheap pool of money that underwrote the Clinton Administrations instructions for Freddie and Fannie to lend to the poor. A Government created subprime mortgage DISASTER - a PONZI scheme encouraged and condoned by Government Agencies - a politically expedient con created by the Politicians who are elected by the same interest groups who demanded access to capital - because it was their 'right' a small detail that they couldn't afford the money - no problemo! Except the no problemo has become a big problemo - for everyone - spreading a cancer of panic and loss into ever nook cranny of the capital system.

Now what galls me the most is the common person - unfamiliar with just how much of an indebted serf he/she has allowed their person to become - fed on a diet of high fat other people's money - has the temerity to criticize and demean anyone associated with the finance industry at any level - because these 'evil capitalists' - gave us exactly what we asked for - with Government/ Central Bank and Treasury encouragement.

Now the same personality type - has discovered an evil greater than smoking and climate change to point a sanctimonious finger at. Now the braying dogs of the left and all its sympathizers and are out for the blood of the idle, stupid and criminal 'rich'.

Good luck with all that - capital is scarce, is on strike and is very mobile. Good luck with encouraging economic growth and jobs for your children by destroying the people who actually DO things.

I am heartily sick of all the innuendo and smart arsedness that is permeating every corner of the world and creeping into the DNA of everyone.

For sure don't blame the general failure of governance and regulation on those responsible for these issues - just blame your local banker for doing what his/her own shareholders demanded be done over the last 10 years.

People are just so stupid - and they are going to stupid themselves into a Depression by supporting BS from BS artistes of the left and their loony friends. Feel good about chasing the evil 'rich' and the overpaid this and that.

I dont feel one iota of sympathy towards people who over committed themselves and got into trouble - I feel sympathy for the people who actually saved their money and it ended up being 'loaned' to a bunch of care for nothing buyers of sub prime mortgages - most of who are now conveniently out of them - leaving their creditors with nothing except the keys to an empty property..

both types of idjot got what was coming to them - the same for a whole bunch of thieves whose livelihood depended on keeping that Ponzi scheme going.

Some people have actually preserved their clients money and been able to profit by careful management of risk and common sense. Some clients of good managers and decent banks - have been able to not only preserve their savings but also gain enormously because of the wisdom of going with the right broker or the right funds manager or the right banker.

Your health is important - closely followed by your finances. Dont take either for granted.

<end rant>

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
For sure don't blame the general failure of governance and regulation on those responsible for these issues - just blame your local banker for doing what his/her own shareholders demanded be done over the last 10 years.
The local banker has nothing to say anymore since years here in Ireland. You know, in former times, your personal relationship with your local banker was important, not anymore. He/She has no power to take any decisions at all, they are nothing but glorified HR managers and paper pushers. Decisions are made in HQ by suits you never spoke with in your lifetime!

Flippin Greed is the very cause of this failure in my opinion.
;)

O

Oxide Blu

I just have to... :rolleyes: Now if you get 140 points, you are in... or 100-140 maybe/probably... :)

Any way around this requirement:

People invited to apply for residence (in New Zealand) will have to provide police certificates as evidence of good character for everyone 17 years and over included in their application.

Some of us were just a lot of fun to be around -- what else can I say?!?
:ROTFL:

waynelake

People invited to apply for residence (in New Zealand) will have to provide police certificates as evidence of good character for everyone 17 years and over included in their application.

I know what you mean... :ROTFL:
But the other side of all the fun...
I did a few times let young people here know to stay out of trouble...
Like with a minor conviction, can not go to USA...
I'm all good though... :angel:

stephengilbert

I had to drive from Los Angeles to San Bernardino this morning and passed the rail yards in Fontana. There were rows of idle locomotives lined up on a track alongside the freeway. I didn't pay attention to my odometer right away, but from when I did, there were almost three miles of locos, nose to tail. This is a graphic indicator of how slow things are.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Damn that leaves me out , next country please.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: