The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tyler Hicks coverage of Afghanistan for NYT

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The NYT won a Pulitzer yesterday for its ongoing coverage of the Afghanistan conflict. Tyler Hicks is their primary photographer. I have followed his coverage daily in the Times. IMHO this guy really gets it. When I see an image ..I know he took it ..yet he is willing to try different things. e.g he used an XPan for an entire series with Tri x. Today I found a new essay..I found it quite moving .look carefully at how his technique adds to the images. A small detail is normally sharp but the rest of the picture almost looks like his lens is fogging up. Like he cleaned up the center but didn t catch the edges.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/04/19/world/20090420-aliabad-ambush/index.html

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Another NY Times photog who just won a Pulitzer is Damon Winter. His work has been recently been posted on Rob Galbraith's site at this link http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/politics/2009-damon-pulitzer/index.html

Take a look. I think these are simply stunning.

Woody
Woody

You are right on. Two of my friends Peter and David Turnley both followed the Obama campaign and created some great black and white work .. So I have been following this since the beginning. Damon had an earlier version of these images that I actually liked better. He was clearly working the strong lighting , high color saturation look . Its a lot different than the B+W stuff or the images that look like Sports Illustrated .

Roger

D

ddk

The NYT won a Pulitzer yesterday for its ongoing coverage of the Afghanistan conflict. Tyler Hicks is their primary photographer. I have followed his coverage daily in the Times. IMHO this guy really gets it. When I see an image ..I know he took it ..yet he is willing to try different things. e.g he used an XPan for an entire series with Tri x. Today I found a new essay..I found it quite moving .look carefully at how his technique adds to the images. A small detail is normally sharp but the rest of the picture almost looks like his lens is fogging up. Like he cleaned up the center but didn t catch the edges.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/04/19/world/20090420-aliabad-ambush/index.html
I haven't seen the rest of the series, call me a cynic if you want to but imo all these images fall flat on their face without the sound bite. I see no drama tension, or even interesting compostions in any of them. Personally I don't care what equipment he used, find them special in anyway, sorry.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
David

Regarding the equipment..it relates to a different collection that he did earlier this year in Afganistan..and the only relevance it had was that they were 16:9 format and shot with film. I thought in that instance the choice of equipment added to the effectiveness of his work.

In the case of this work ...I thought catching the moment trumped all the other attributes.

Roger

D

ddk

David

Regarding the equipment..it relates to a different collection that he did earlier this year in Afganistan..and the only relevance it had was that they were 16:9 format and shot with film. I thought in that instance the choice of equipment added to the effectiveness of his work.

In the case of this work ...I thought catching the moment trumped all the other attributes.

Roger
Hi Roger,

That's exactly what I don't see that in these images, they could be anywhere doing anything without the sound and the commentary, which we know were added later. He probably has more interesting work that turned you on to him but I don't see/feel it here.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Hi Roger,

That's exactly what I don't see that in these images, they could be anywhere doing anything without the sound and the commentary, which we know were added later. He probably has more interesting work that turned you on to him but I don't see/feel it here.
What you are seeing here is the future of Photojournalism. I like Dirck Halstead's term for it Platypus Journalism. It will combine sound, still images and video.

Check it out at "The Digital Journalist" and give the Platypus Papers a read to understand what this revolution is about.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
His normal work is structurally .......light,composition,color,moment ....better than this essay. But I was reacting to the impact of the presentation and the content of his essay...you are correct in saying he will not win the WorldPressPhotographer with these images.

I look at quite a few essays like this and many ..I don t get ..sometimes the photos are just sloppy work. Since I know Tyler s work ..he had something in mind and it resonated with me . Individually he will not turn heads ..but as a collection with the voice over..it worked for me.

I will try to find some of his cleaner work and post the link .. Don t want to give the fellow a bad name.