The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is BestBuy the next.....

Terry

....Circuit City or Comp USA? I've been having trouble with my printer which is bluetooth so I went to get a cable. Best Buy sells one (and only one) in the store. It is $33.95. Yes, I walked out.:eek:

OWC - $7.95
at my NY apt this weekend - Free:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry, when you are in SF you need to find the closest Fry's Electronics Store

:D,

Terry

Terry, when you are in SF you need to find the closest Fry's Electronics Store

:D,
How about I just pack a suitcase full of useful stuff from NY that is just gathering dust. I have a whole drawer full of cables and other goodies.

There actually was a Fry's near my old apartment in SF but according to their store locator there are no longer any stores in SF proper... my closest choices are Condcord and Palo Alto. :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

That's how they make their money... On accessories. They have to make the money from "giving" the free printers somehow. I worked at Best Buy when I was in college and sure enough I could buy the $40-50 USB and Ethernet cables for $1-3 depending on length. The markup on some items is just ridiculous.

Terry

I would accept that if they were price leaders on their main products but sadly they really aren't. There are a few specials at good prices each week and for all else they are priced quite high.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I went with an Amazon Prime membership ....which provides FREE 2nd day UPS shipping for most items. This makes one at a time small purchases cheap and easy.

Similar solution thru B&H is thru NAPP which then translates to free shipping.

With these two...all the small one off purchases are faster and cheaper(and you know its in stock).

Amazon will overnight most things for $3.95.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
In SF we don't have a Fry's, but Central Computers on Howard St. has all the nitty gritty at reasonable prices. (http://centralcomputers.com)
The other day I was hunting for a dual link DVI to HDMI cable and made the mistake of checking Best Buy. $50 for a single link cable!!! They didn't have a DVI-DL one, can only image what they'd ask for that! Ended up ordering one on Amazon, for $5 IIRC. (Central didn't have a DVI-DL either.)

I like monoprice.com for cables. (But alas, they didn't have a DVI-DL to HDMI either.) http://monoprice.com

I can see paying extra to support a local store, but $50 vs $3.50 for the exact same cable made in China?! C'mon...