The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quark to InDesign

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I did get Indesign in yesterday from this place which turned out to be a excellent price and totally legal http://www.ztechsoftware.com/servle...77&ProductId=41774180#quantity=0&smode=update

Nice part is the client bought it for me but what a change it is. I spent a lot of time watching demo's and such and starting working on a project and there certainly is a major learning curve. One thing that really helps is it is a Adobe product and having PS and Acrobat already on my system it is really tied in very nicely and also with tools but more important the thought process to work. It's the Adobe way for all of there programs and once you learn one it makes it a easier transition. There are some obvious road blocks that I need to learn and coming from Quark well things are a lot different in some ways. But so far a lot of time wasted trying to learn it but in the end it will be much better overall. Also interesting note the offset printer we use for all our stuff was thrilled for the change and in the end will actually save production time and save on final costs. I did ask them to redo my template for me for the program book I have to produce twice a year since it would serve me better right now to have them do it than waste a load of time and mistakes on my learning curve. So far looking good.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Excellent! Well worth the initial learning curve.

One thing I've found extremely helpful is to turn on "Smart Guides". It will help you automatically space things and line things up. Play with a little while and you'll be hooked.

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim ran into a issue that is making me a little crazy. Been doing type and adding effects and such and the file is just going beach ball heaven and taking a lot of time to render changes. It's not any other file or the system but this poster I am working on 24 x32 size. Not final stuff just trying to get a layout I like. Seems maybe I have my color destinations setup wrong. Any initial thoughts