The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cancer in the family - Week 5...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
It's been 5 weeks since Jeanne and I learned her entrometrial cancer had returned in a recurrent mode. She's gone through a lung biopsy, ablation of a broncial tube and carterization of locations in the lung which were bleeding. Then finally she has started Chemo last Thursday. The new antineausea drugs work wonders but she get tired very quickly and sometimes her feet and hands go numb (know side effect). We did get things organized where she has the treatment in Abilene and the weekly blood work is done in Stephenville.

But tomorrow she has to undergo having a stint put in to her kidney. one of the tumors in the pelvis is put pressure on the tube from the kidney to the bladder to the point of almost closing it off. If it's blocked the Kidney will shut down and she needs two fully functional kidneys to take the levels of chemo she requires.

We go into the hospital at 0630 tomorrow and if all goes well she can come home about 1600.

If she feels up to it, we are going out Sunday for some landscape shooting and just prowling the back roads.

I know it's a stressor when last Friday, I laid down for nap at noon and woke up at 7am Saturday.

She has her next chemo in two weeks and will have a power port put in that same day.

She's on Carboplatin and Paclitaxel.

I'm keeping busy doing laundary, reading on the treatments and designing my perfect film Leica.

Thanks for reading this. It helps some time to just write stuff down, put it in a bottle and throw it in the ocean.

W

workingcamera

From experience, it's a very hard and wrenching thing to go through, to see a loved one deal with cancer.

My thoughts are with you john, and sincere best wishes for you both.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If she feels up to it, we are going out Sunday for some landscape shooting and just prowling the back roads.
This sounds like good "medicine" for the soul. Does Jeanne enjoy photography, too? I know that you mentioned before that she was an artist, but I'm not sure which medium she enjoys working in.

T

TMGraphics

Will keep both of you in my prayers. Best wishes and have a speedy recovery.

Thomas

johnastovall

This sounds like good "medicine" for the soul. Does Jeanne enjoy photography, too? I know that you mentioned before that she was an artist, but I'm not sure which medium she enjoys working in.
She paint landscapes in both acrylics and pastels. Sometimes she works from my photos but mostly just watching me work and helping spot old buildings...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Dear John, the strongest wishes of Jeannes recovery, from me and my wife. You are both in our minds and hearts.
Steen

johnastovall

Some good news for a change. The stint has really helped take pressure off the kidney and improved her overall condition. The surgeon said the pressure from the tumor was far more constritive than the CT scan show.

Sunday, she actually wanted some special food. So it was of to Golden China for Won Ton soup, Crab Rangoon and fried rice take out. We later went driving in the country and I did some shooting and she enjoyed the time out.

This week is a slow one and I'm getting my iMac back so I should have pictures up.

Next week she has to spend a couple of days in Abilene having a med port put in and a day of chemo. We are going up the night before and she wants a steak at Lylte's (Best steaks in Abilene).

Just a little sad note, she had her hair cut very short rather than wait for it to fall out. But I think that shows she getting some control back in her life.

Thanks for listening...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
John,
I'm glad you both got to go for that drive on Sunday. I actually felt up to a day out shooting this week myself. It made me feel so good to get out (even though it was a dreary day weather-wise and I didn't get any good shots.) You have to keep on going. I'm praying for you both.