The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you happy with your current system.

jonoslack

I guess you and I never discussed my definition of long time and how that has changed after meeting the folks around here. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
If you're a goldfish, 'long time' is, apparently, 27 seconds

If you're a photographer, it is, in fact 8.3 minutes.

clay stewart

Am I happy with my current system? No! I like certain aspects of the Nikon and Oly systems, but it's all still a compromise at the moment.

I'm currently rather fond of my most recent buy - a Panasonic TS-1. It sort of reminds me of the feeling I had when I had the Yashica T2 and T3's and being able to take pictures without the worry of the elements. Image quality is surprising and seems to best the Ricohs I've owned (newer technology I suppose.)

If size wasn't an issue, then the D700 would suit me fine, or maybe even the New Sony, but I've discovered over the past several years that size is a huge issue with me and determines whether or not the camera goes with me or stays at home, when it's not a paying gig.

I'm sort of hopeful that the new Oly M4/3 will be worth getting, but in all honesty, I'm starting to think that I would be better served by simply lowering my expectations and making due with what I have. After all I can get excellent images with my current set ups.

I just sort of long for the days with something like a M6, OM1, FM2, where the lenses and bodies were small and there was no crop factor and a body didn't set you back five or six grand.

ReeRay

Love my 5D kit, Rollei 6002 for MF and Contax G2 for walk around.
BUT, the G10 - aaargh!
I gave it to the girlfriend. They have a lot in common. Not sharp and too noisy.

So I'm still shopping (for both!) :LOL:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I did a bit of equipment rationalizing last year, unloaded my 1DsII and Canon lenses in favour of the a900 (with a700 backup) and a broad array of lenses. I need only a Sony 500 or 600 mm to be completely satisfied with the set-up. This is my "birds, critters and travel" outfit.

My Phase P45+ system is my first love and I'm ecstatic about it. I have most of the lenses but I'd really like a good T&S. It's my landscape and "contemplative photography"outfit.

So yes, I'm happy with my systems and don't anticipate changing anything except for getting the two lenses mentioned.

Bill

dseelig

I like my leica m8 system 24 35 50 75 all luxes. ad a wate and a mate. My canon system I like as well. though when I shoot with both canon and leica together I like the leica look better. My canon sysytem is 16-35 mk 11 24-70 and the 105 85 f1.2 135 f2 300 2.8 400 2.8 current and the 70 200 both f4 and 2.8 . I take the lighter zooms when not shooting sports and working for my local paper the 300 and 400 are for shooting profootball. I have a contax system as well but waitng for a cheap digital back. Me If I did not shoot for meney would prpbably go sony for my slr nice files

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Funny thing is, that with the OM gear that I used for 30 years, two bodies and three lenses, I was very happy, and didn't feel a strong need to upgrade or change. There was always a slight urge, but not enough to make me open my wallet. Now, there's stuff everywhere. Still, I mostly use three lenses (17-50, 80-200 and 85) and two bodies (S5 and D80).

I'm very happy with the S5, but it lacks resolution, which is a problem, since I sell photos on occasions. Some of the Nikkors are great too (85/1.8, 105/micro and 80-200/AF-S), but I miss small, fast, good quality primes, like the ones I used with the OM system. Size is a problem. I travel a lot, and carrying all the gear is tiring.

Plan A is to buy a Pentax K-7 with a few primes, the 16-50 and the 50-135. I'm a bit skeptical with regards to the sensor, but I have to try. If it's good, I'll buy another body and more lenses. Size, primes, viewfinder, ergonomics, in-body IS and weather sealing are the key selling points for me.

The alternative would be Olympus. I was very happy with the E-1, and I still have the 11-22, but the E-3 is such a big, bulky box, or at least that is the feeling I'm left with every time I try one. And there are hardly any primes, except my little collection of OM lenses, but they are all manual focus, and none are really wide on 4/3 :(

Lately, I've started using the OM-3 again. I can actually see myself buying another body, since the current one is a bit tired. I would even like to buy more lenses (I have seven now, spanning from 21 to 200mm), but the ones I would like are the expensive ones.

Conclusion? I'm kind of half happy. I don't think a Pentax will solve every problem on earth, but in combination with a Nikon/Fuji system (or Sony, if I can afford it) and OM for film, I'll probably have most bases covered. I might also buy an Olympus body for my 11-22. There's nothing like it anywhere :)

thomas

I work around (you will see me point on the ground 5 yards in front of a sport shot because I learned that where the Contax just insists on focusing) (maybe 25 lenses)
Obviously the screen is not aligned. If you ALWAYS have backfocus you have to lower the screen. The Contax screen is mounted on two little bridges. Under the bridges there are thin shims... remove one (but be careful: a difference of just 0.05mm [!] is clearly visible). Too you should check if the finder mask lifts the screen. The Contax masks fit to tight... you have to cut the notches on one side to make them a bit bigger - other wise they get strain and may lift the screen.
Regards, Thomas

fotografz

one curious thing about the sony/zeiss 16-35, 24-70 and 135/1.8 is that they are nearly exactly the same physical size and very similar looking (except for the missing zoom ring).
Can't tell you how many times I've grabbed the wrong lens when swapping them at a wedding ... especially easy between the 16-35 and 24-70. Gotta get some colored sticky dots for the end caps.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Well, I had some olympus gear, E1, E3 and some lenses, I felt the E3 did not continue what the E1 delivered in terms of colors, personal taste I suppose.

I pondered hard as to wether I keep it or get rid of it, as it was such a nice system, with all it's flaws. But I can not see msyelf shooting with it anymore after I got the alpha9, and no I do not regret that I sold it, I do not collect cameras.

Very happy with my choice so far, growing slowly into the new system, I know it will serve me for some time to come. I had a hard time to decide between canon and sony, at the end it was the Zeiss factor that made up my mind. Over time I want to buy all Zeiss Glas, except may be the 1.4 portrait lense, having said that, it might be useful for other applications as well.

fotografz

Happy is a relative term. "Wants and Gimmes" are always hovering in the background :rolleyes:

I'm happy with the lenses for the M8, but I am waiting for a camera that is the equal to the lenses. In the meantime the M8 does just fine. Wish they would make a smaller version of the new flash so I could bounce a few shots in lower light.

Very happy with the workhorse Nikon system now that I've added the D3X to the D3. I use mostly zooms for that work and the 14-24 & 24-70 do just fine. The beastly 200/2 VR is also pretty satisfying. :thumbup:

I'm relatively happy with my "passion system" the Sony A900 with it's Zeiss lenses. In the right conditions it's hard to beat. :thumbs: Would like a Zeiss 35/1.4 ASPH for this system.

My other passion system is the Hasselblad 203FE which I have always loved for film work using an Imacon 949 to scan with. :thumbup: A larger sensor CFV would be nice however.:clap:

My MFD workhorse H system just keeps delivering what I ask of it, and using the Zeiss lenses like the 40IF and 180/4 makes even more versatile and satisfying. :thumbs:

Pretty happy where I am now based on real-world needs. There is always something better or newer to lust after, but right now, I don't need it.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
LOL, I would get confused by switching from one to the next Marc.

You have a nice camera park there in deed! If I could afford it, I think the D3x would be nice to hang on my left shoulder balancing the alpha on the right. ;)