The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica forum is pathetic!

D

ddk

On dpreview.com that is. I often wonder what Irakly is doing there or why would any other photographer want to be associated with it. I'm sorry to be condescending but after seeing this, I just can't resist. Please take special note of his meticulous attention for listing all his image particulars and the value of equipment used for this amazing capture, in the wild!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1038&message=31791442 :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yup
Canon 5DII, crop from full frame ISO 400 1/320 sec f/4
EF- 70-200mm f/4, overcast day
The bird is a turkey
View attachment 15938
The camera worked without error and there was about 75% left on the battery
-bob

Last edited:

Knorp

On dpreview.com that is. I often wonder what Irakly is doing there or why would any other photographer want to be associated with it. I'm sorry to be condescending but after seeing this, I just can't resist. Please take special note of his meticulous attention for listing all his image particulars and the value of equipment used for this amazing capture, in the wild!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1038&message=31791442 :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
It seems a bit odd to me that one particular post renders a complete forum pathetic. What brought you there in the first place ? :angel:

D

ddk

Hi Knorp,

Unfortunately this quality of post is the norm not the exception there, though I have to admit that this one is extra special. It was Jaap's beautiful images (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7270) that took me there, hoping to find more on this lens and that's when I discovered this post and going through a couple of hundred pict threads I realized that he was not alone.

D

ddk

Yup
Canon 5DII, crop from full frame ISO 400 1/320 sec f/4
EF- 70-200mm f/4, overcast day
The bird is a turkey
View attachment 15938
The camera worked without error and there was about 75% left on the battery
-bob
LOL Bob, I see that you even ventured outside to shoot your beast unlike our friend there who started to but finally was too frightened to roll his window down.

N

nei1

Youre wrong,this ispathetic .............and this from someone with a life ban over there.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I got banned from Dreviews Leica forum for pointing out too frequently people were posting nonsense and didn't know anything about the history of Leica and it's products.

I get the feeling 95% of the people posting there just think Panasonic is another name for Leica.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have not posted there in quite a awhile myself. I look at the news once in awhile and that is about it. Folks wonder why we started this place. What's a good smile for that maybe:banghead::wtf::shocked::grin::rolleyes:

Knorp

Hi Knorp,

Unfortunately this quality of post is the norm not the exception there, though I have to admit that this one is extra special. It was Jaap's beautiful images (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7270) that took me there, hoping to find more on this lens and that's when I discovered this post and going through a couple of hundred pict threads I realized that he was not alone.
Really ? AFAIK my countryman Jaap can be found on RFF and LUF but not on dpreview ... for obvious reasons :rolleyes:
I'm sorry you find that forum pathetic, but I rather like it you know ... :eek:

Thanks.

D

ddk

I have not posted there in quite a awhile myself. I look at the news once in awhile and that is about it. Folks wonder why we started this place. What's a good smile for that maybe:banghead::wtf::shocked::grin::rolleyes:
and all this time we thought that it was for the money :eek:

jonoslack

Hi David
I guess dpreview has it's moments . . both bad and good, but there is good too. I don't spend much time there these days, but I have a lot of friends there, and there are lots of good photographers there as well.

Just have a look at some of those challenges. I challenge you to criticise the standard of photography.

D

ddk

Hi David
I guess dpreview has it's moments . . both bad and good, but there is good too. I don't spend much time there these days, but I have a lot of friends there, and there are lots of good photographers there as well.

Just have a look at some of those challenges. I challenge you to criticise the standard of photography.
Hi Jono,

I agree dpreview has its moments and I too have friends there. I know that both you and Tim were regulars there when the M8 first came out and Irakley is still there, but even at that time, beside you guys there were only a handful more Leica owners who knew what they were doing and the rest, well, that's why you're here now. I know this post isn't politically correct and might bother some, and I wouldn't make the same comment about any of the other forums there, but look at this image and all those in other threads there compared to the few on challenges and if you're brutally honest, given the quality of Leica equipment, would you still disagree with this post?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually if there is one forum over there better than the others than from my reading Leica seems better than the rest.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

I agree dpreview has its moments and I too have friends there. I know that both you and Tim were regulars there when the M8 first came out and Irakley is still there, but even at that time, beside you guys there were only a handful more Leica owners who knew what they were doing and the rest, well, that's why you're here now. I know this post isn't politically correct and might bother some, and I wouldn't make the same comment about any of the other forums there, but look at this image and all those in other threads there compared to the few on challenges and if you're brutally honest, given the quality of Leica equipment, would you still disagree with this post?
Hi David
I wasn't really thinking of the Leica challenges - Louis is an excellent photographer . . and Bart and several others, I had just been looking at the results of some of the new dpreview challenges, and there really are some good pictures.

dpreview challentes

I don't give a monkey's toss for political correctness (really), but I'm forever fighting off the GOM (grumpy old man) tendency, which I can see growing in myself.

Irakly has done lots of good on that forum (not least for me . . I still wonder whether there should be a crocodile in each of my pictures:bugeyes::) ). Bart (Knorp) is a positive pillar of wonderfulness (and has editors choice on LFI just like Irakly). Louis takes marvellous pictures, Jim Radcliffe and Steve Huff are contenders.

Do I need to go on?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
But what about my turkey? LOL
Lots of good photographers, but I think that the original point in the first quoted post is that there are two images spliced together that occurred when the battery ran out.
Actually that is pretty interesting, not the picture in any other way.
thanks
-bob
p.s.
My shot was through a double glazed kitchen window.

jonoslack

But what about my turkey? LOL
Lots of good photographers, but I think that the original point in the first quoted post is that there are two images spliced together that occurred when the battery ran out.
Actually that is pretty interesting, not the picture in any other way.
thanks
-bob
p.s.
My shot was through a double glazed kitchen window.
Bob
I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY sorry
We're neglecting you and your turkey shot
inexcusable I'd say - and a wonderful capture
:)
PS - I'm sure that's a turkey . . .but in England they look quite different

dammit - I've just realised you're a super moderator . . . I'm about to be banned . . eeek

fotografz

There was just a really long thread on the p.net Leica/Rangefinder forum about why so many people left ... which I oddly stumbled on after not going there forever.

Some friends there still trying to make a go of it. I let them know why I left, and so did others ... in the end I'm not sure the moderators wanted to hear it and closed the discussion. But I may be wrong ... some seemed to want to revive it again.

Maybe it'll get better ... but they'll need stronger Troll filters. Best of luck to them.