The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Terry has a Camera system dilemma

Terry

I'm with Mike on this one (but then, I'm always with Mike :sleep006::sleep006:)

Except that, for those extreme wide moments, a 12-24 sigma produces the drama without sacrificing too much on the IQ, and it's light and reasonably small as well.
Ha, what about Oly gear? It's getting no respect here :ROTFL:! Considering I have a G1 and then could use that as a back up body to an Oly kit, surprised that didn't come up.

Terry

M8 + a few lenses
Alpa 12 TC + Schneider 35XL, Schneider 47XL, + any back you prefer (film or digital)
DMR + 100 macro, 180/2.8, 280mm or 2x for the 180, + another 1 or 2 in your desired focal length

That should cover it.
Yeah Charlie.....dream on. Unless you rent your DMR. The Alpa just isn't happening! Remember folks last time I checked I was still working for a bank that got TARP money and if it were up to Mr Rangel and friends I would be taxed at 90% and I will be getting disposable cameras.

Terry

If it was me I would take an M8 and probably a Mamiya 7 (or 6). But then I have an Imacon scanner sitting on my desk.:D

All depends on what one's style/end purpose/etc is. I've done plenty of wall size pics shot with 35mm Tri-X and old Nikons that are stunning. And with good software and PS skills 12mp (or 10 in the case of the M8) can be plenty.

I think it should be about what one is comfortable with and what one can afford. All of this equipment jumping doesn't make one a better photographer. Finding something that works for you and sticking with it does.
I think this trip calls for longer lenses. I would love to just take my M8 but sadly it may be left at home.

charlesphoto

I think this trip calls for longer lenses. I would love to just take my M8 but sadly it may be left at home.
I have a friend who traveled to Iceland and he took his Fuji SW690 and the Fuji GW690 (with the normal lens) and shot some amazing landscapes. Real big vistas and his trick was to put a person in them.

Anyway, how about getting a 90 Elmarit for the M8? They can be had on the used market for $700 or so and are exceptional.

It may be interesting to do something totally radical, like bring along a Holga and shoot some NPZ800 for a totally different look from all the clean freaks.

Have fun, and don't let picture taking get in the way of the experience itself.

BTW, your old M8 is going strong after the upgrade. Totally love it.

Terry

I'm curious why Iceland demands long lenses...not to worry, it's a serious question. :)
This is from the workshop leader:

Speaking in 35mm terms there is use for wide angle lenses down to 16-20 mm and telephotos up to 300-400 mm. Personally I use telephotos quite a lot in landscape shooting to frame distant mountains and find that 300 mm is usually enough reach although I will go up to 500 mm on occasions. For the Puffins 300 mm is enough reach as they are quite tame birds, but longer focal lengths don’t hurt.

This is from our fearless forum leader:

You'll want longer glass for Iceland: lots of distance to see across with not much blocking your views, but often over difficult terrain to cross... All that equals longer glass than you're used to using in Manhattan and San Francisco where you can barely see across the street.

Terry

I have a friend who traveled to Iceland and he took his Fuji SW690 and the Fuji GW690 (with the normal lens) and shot some amazing landscapes. Real big vistas and his trick was to put a person in them.

Anyway, how about getting a 90 Elmarit for the M8? They can be had on the used market for $700 or so and are exceptional.

It may be interesting to do something totally radical, like bring along a Holga and shoot some NPZ800 for a totally different look from all the clean freaks.

Have fun, and don't let picture taking get in the way of the experience itself.

BTW, your old M8 is going strong after the upgrade. Totally love it.
I had a 90 and sold it. Don't laugh but I could never stay within the framelines there was always too much outside the little square and I didn't like framing that way. I am going to take something small and interesting with me.

The idea of going wide but with people is a good one. Thanks!

Terry, the economy is in the toilet so go buy something new. A special trip is as good of an excuse as any to get new stuff. In addition to helping the economy you will have some more good stuff to post on getdpi for our pleasure.

All kidding aside, I have found that new equipment does re-invigorate my photographic vision. However, the same can be said for visiting a new and exciting place to photograph (e.g., Iceland). I believe you will be happy with your existing equipment in Iceland. On the other hand, if you have your eye on a new system (e.g., Sony A900 system or Phase 30+ system) then this trip is a great excuse.

I hope you have a great trip. I am jealous.

Mark

iiiNelson

Ha, what about Oly gear? It's getting no respect here :ROTFL:! Considering I have a G1 and then could use that as a back up body to an Oly kit, surprised that didn't come up.
I was thinking E3 originally before I knew you had a D700. Then I saw you weren't really considering taking the G1 (otherwise the two kit lenses offer the focal range you will probably "need.") I figured though if you were questioning whether or not 12 MP would be enough then it wouldn't make much sense to recommend 10 MP outside weather sealing capability.

Terry

I was thinking E3 originally before I knew you had a D700. Then I saw you weren't really considering taking the G1 (otherwise the two kit lenses offer the focal range you will probably "need.") I figured though if you were questioning whether or not 12 MP would be enough then it wouldn't make much sense to recommend 10 MP outside weather sealing capability.
I know, I was just joking with Jono since when I bought the Nikon he tried in vain to get me to buy the E3. The D700 is my best camera and the only weather sealed one that I have so that is why it became the starting point of what to take on the trip. It's that guy GUY :rolleyes: who has been planting the more megapixels bug because he wants me to go MF and drops tons of money

iiiNelson

Ahhhh... Gotcha. Well I wouldn't want to spend your money on MF (well I would) but I think the Sony a900 would be nearly perfect as high ISO doesn't seem like it would be a huge concern while shooting from dawn to daylight to dusk.

Terry

Ahhhh... Gotcha. Well I wouldn't want to spend your money on MF (well I would) but I think the Sony a900 would be nearly perfect as high ISO doesn't seem like it would be a huge concern while shooting from dawn to daylight to dusk.
With dusk and dawn only about 3 hours apart, that leaves a lot of time for daylight. :ROTFL: which is actually when we will :sleep006:

jonoslack

I know, I was just joking with Jono since when I bought the Nikon he tried in vain to get me to buy the E3. The D700 is my best camera and the only weather sealed one that I have so that is why it became the starting point of what to take on the trip. It's that guy GUY :rolleyes: who has been planting the more megapixels bug because he wants me to go MF and drops tons of money
Ah yes - taking the mickey out of Jono is now the forum passtime :ROTFL:

Worth mentioning that my Nikon gear is long gone, by my E3 stays, as does all the excellent Olympus glass.

Still, it's not just the megapixels which makes me think the Sony is a better bet for landscape and travel. Of course, it's nothing like as good as the D700 for low light . . . but the IS gives you a stop and a half (at least), which gets you some of the way back (as long as you can persuade the subject to keep still!).

N

nei1

Hi Terry,I misunderstood the original post,......so to be a little more helpful...have you considered hiring some really healthy glass in Iceland,its quite a civilised place.But you might be better off with nikon than sony,Ive no real idea if its a possibility but it might be worth looking into,.......Neil.

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm surprised Stuart hasn't chimed in...

by the way, what is the workshop?
tripod work, no doubt? may influence your choice

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

I had not noticed the thread! But now I'm here, so I'll kick in my advice.

Frankly, I think you will be fine with either, but I have not used the Sony, so I will confine my advice to generalities.

I would recommend something that is not so heavy that you will not want to lug it around. You will have to carry the equipment over rough terrain, up hills and so on. Carrying boatloads of lenses in these conditions is a pain in the ***.
I would also recommend that your camera system is weather sealed and that you bring some UV filters for your lenses. The weather here often goes from sun to rain to sun again in a matter of minutes, and those times are often the best to shoot in. The wind will also be howling, so a camera may have water hitting it from all angles, so a well-sealed camera is an important asset. The wind also makes UV filters a good choice -- sea spray is hard to avoid near the coast, and in the glacial flats there is often fine blowing sand that will do a number on your lens.

For lens choice -- I agree with your workshop leader -- having access to wide angles like a 16-35 or 17-35 is quite useful, as is having something around 180mm. If you want to shoot birds, something like a 180 with a 2x TC will go a long way. I would not bring a lens bigger and heavier than a 70-200. In fact, I would consider looking at older prime lenses in the longer focal lengths. I don't think the zoom is really that important in these sorts of shooting, but I gravitate towards primes anyway...Having something like a 180mm f/2.8 and a 2x or 1.4x TC will be easier to carry and versatile. Or just the older version Nikon 300mm f/4 with the 1.4x -- that will give you all the reach you need. To be honest though, the longest lens I have ever had is a 180mm and a 2x converter and I have not felt the need for more reach than that.

Basically, my way of shooting here is with the D3 or M8 and a medium format film outfit. I found that this gives me a really good blend of digital versatility and weather protection with the resolution and look of medium format film. Like Charles, I would be happy with the M8 and a Mamiya 7, but since you are focusing on nature photography, I would say the D700 or A900 and the Mamiya 7 would suit you well. If you don't shoot medium format, then maybe the resolution of the A900 would be nice to have. I have not shot with it, so I cannot say, but holding it in the hand, I must say the D3 felt a lot more ergonomic to me. But perhaps that is just getting used to it.

Finally, on the topic of ISO -- 800 will probably be plenty. There will not really be much darkness at all in July. The solstice is June 21st, and even today there is no true night -- I was out at 1am last night and there was still light in the sky. Sunset is now 10:18pm, and it does not get "dark" until 11:30 or so. When Terry is going is even closer to the solstice, so there will be even more light. Most of your shooting will be done easily with ISO 100-400.

Terry

Hey, Stuart I hoped you would pop in!

S**T !!!!!!! I sold the 180 f2.8 that I bought from Guy !!!! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

That is a pretty good idea the 180 is much easier to handle than the 70-200.
Then I would need something in the 100 or 135 focal length.

Life would be perfect if one could use the 2x converter on the 24-70 that would solve from 24-140 and then I would have 180 and 360 covered. Alas, no such luck. :cussing:

Off to ponder life and lenses....:rolleyes:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Told you not to sell that. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The 180 is light and small and very sharp plus it's cheap

Sony 135 1.8 is the one lens that would make me buy that system. Now if it only took a 1.4 or 2 x but the other 135 does

Hate to say this but Canon oh God can't believe I said the word. LOL there 135 f2 and there 200 2.8 are extremely nice lenses and not pricy but I always liked Nikon's 180 even though it is a old dog like me it can still hunt.