The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Poll: ONE thing that would make your pictures better

In what category is the ONE thing that you guarantee will improve your photography?

• IMAGING: Cameras, lenses, etc. and upgrades thereto

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • POST-PROCESSING: Computers, monitors, printers, software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AUXILIARY: Lighting and studio/field equipment

• TRAINING: Books, subscriptions, workshops, courses, etc.

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • SERVICES: Models, stylists, guides, assistants, translators, etc.

• OPPORTUNITIES: Publication, gallery exhibit, advertising campaign, etc.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
How about winning the Lotto? Money won't buy happiness but it will buy time and places.

R

Ranger 9

Clarification: Let's assume that time, imagination, experience etc. are all NOT "things" that can be acquired, at least not in one lump. It goes without saying that we all would like more of those.

And I've got a question for those who responded that their work would be improved by opportunity (publication, exhibition, etc.): If your work is lousy, how will the opportunity to inflict it on other people make it better?

(This is not a snarky question; I've actually got my own answer to it, I just want to see if the other people's answer is the same as mine would be.)

fotografz

Clarification: Let's assume that time, imagination, experience etc. are all NOT "things" that can be acquired, at least not in one lump. It goes without saying that we all would like more of those.

And I've got a question for those who responded that their work would be improved by opportunity (publication, exhibition, etc.): If your work is lousy, how will the opportunity to inflict it on other people make it better?

(This is not a snarky question; I've actually got my own answer to it, I just want to see if the other people's answer is the same as mine would be.)
I would like to aquire more ...

WORK!

That would be my number one choice. How will that make me better than I am now? Every new challenge helps make me better ... no two jobs are identical and each one teaches you something new while forcing new creative ideas to solve problems.

Work pays for the new and better whatever ... and pays to go somewhere else new to make photographs just for me.

jonoslack

More Inspiration.

If I can see it I can take it
if I can take it I can post process it
If I can post process it I can present it

The problem is seeing it . . . and there ain't nobody can teach me that :(

PeterA

Having TIME - everything else follows for me, be it taking a week off to do a workshop with Joel Meyerowitz in NY, or driving into the Simpson Desert in the middle of Australia, learning and being there..it is about having the TIME for me.

Lars

Having TIME - everything else follows for me, be it taking a week off to do a workshop with Joel Meyerowitz in NY, or driving into the Simpson Desert in the middle of Australia, learning and being there..it is about having the TIME for me.
Ahhh the Simpson Desert... :) I happened to cross when there was a full bloom, just billions of yellow and white flowers covering the landscape. Surreal. And would never have happended if I didn't give myself TIME to spend a year in Australia.

Robert Campbell

load of old bollocks.
Sadly, it's something one has, or hasn't :cry:
There are lots more quotations about this sort of thing -- your first 10k pix are the worst -- I've not failed, found 10k ways that don't work -- and so on.

I think that we have the same -- or a very similar -- problem; but I also think tthat 'natural genius' is a very overdone concept. All the evidence suggests that while there are people with inherent talent at doing things, still they achive greatness through hard work and practice. And those of us who don't have this 'natural' talent can achive through work -- and anyway, what is so 'natural' about photography? -- music I could understand, but not turning a 3D world into, say, a 2D black and white one.

jonoslack

There are lots more quotations about this sort of thing -- your first 10k pix are the worst -- I've not failed, found 10k ways that don't work -- and so on.

I think that we have the same -- or a very similar -- problem; but I also think tthat 'natural genius' is a very overdone concept. All the evidence suggests that while there are people with inherent talent at doing things, still they achive greatness through hard work and practice. And those of us who don't have this 'natural' talent can achive through work -- and anyway, what is so 'natural' about photography? -- music I could understand, but not turning a 3D world into, say, a 2D black and white one.
I think I already said about hard work and recognition . . call it greatness if you like.

I do agree that genius on it's own isn't enough, and I also agree that hard work will get you a long way without genius. I also know that these things are largely a continuum, so it isn't quite something you have, or haven't got. But I still think that it is a reality.

I don't agree with you about the distinction between music and photography - isn't it just music for the eyes rather than the ears?

N

nei1

Well all get there in the end so Ill just take some money to make the ride a little more comfortable.......thanks

p.s.Jono if you think music and photography are the same it could explain why youre photos are a little flat(big smile)

Ben Rubinstein

Personally? The biggest difference to my photography would be gained by an upgrade to my medical position. I have serious problems with my ankles/feet which make all walking and standing painful. I'm also pretty much useless on non even ground. The difference not having to overcome this would be huge to be able to actualise my photographic visions, both with my wedding photography and my other work.

Of course losing 70 pounds of extra weight which I'm lugging about on top of those dud ankles/feet would bring me back to close to where I was in my younger days in an anti-terrorist unit in the police on secondment from the army.

If you had to ask me for one more thing that would make a huge difference? If I could get out of bed in the morning for that incredible clean and clear dawn light. :ROTFL:

I do wonder though whether my work achieved despite my problems will always be more powerful due to the need to have to circumvent said problems....

Robert Campbell

I don't agree with you about the distinction between music and photography - isn't it just music for the eyes rather than the ears?
Didn't express myself well enough; I meant that some people seem to be born with perfect pitch, and others like me are tone deaf; there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it -- so, for some people, musical composition and appreciation is much easier -- easier to become a genius.