The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Poll: ONE thing that would make your pictures better

In what category is the ONE thing that you guarantee will improve your photography?

• IMAGING: Cameras, lenses, etc. and upgrades thereto

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • POST-PROCESSING: Computers, monitors, printers, software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AUXILIARY: Lighting and studio/field equipment

• TRAINING: Books, subscriptions, workshops, courses, etc.

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • SERVICES: Models, stylists, guides, assistants, translators, etc.

• OPPORTUNITIES: Publication, gallery exhibit, advertising campaign, etc.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

jonoslack

Didn't express myself well enough; I meant that some people seem to be born with perfect pitch, and others like me are tone deaf; there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it -- so, for some people, musical composition and appreciation is much easier -- easier to become a genius.
Hmm
you've heard of 'cloth ears' . . . well, I've long believed in the concept of 'cloth eyes'. Lots of people are colour blind, which might be construed as the same thing?

jonoslack

I've just looked at the results.

(I didn't vote myself, because, as stated I don't think any of those things are guaranteed to improve my photography - we need a 'none of these' button)

Still, not a single person has voted for better camera equipment, which is fascinating considering the terrible outbursts of GAS around here.

Should one construe that although we all like to buy new kit, none of us really believes that it will improve our photography?

boys toys indeed!

Ben Rubinstein

I don't think any real photographer believes that the equipment will make their vision better. What most do believe is that it will make their achieving that vision easier.

It's like the old crack that amatuers discuss cameras and lenses while pro's talk about bags and tripods. Most all purchases by serious photographers are simply to make their life easier...

jonoslack

I don't think any real photographer believes that the equipment will make their vision better. What most do believe is that it will make their achieving that vision easier.
Ah, but the proposition was that it would improve their 'photography' not their 'vision'. I don't think of it as the same thing.

It's like the old crack that amatuers discuss cameras and lenses while pro's talk about bags and tripods. Most all purchases by serious photographers are simply to make their life easier...
:ROTFL:
I hadn't heard that one before . . . I have a nice new bag coming from FOGG, I've just been tracking it, unfortunately the french post office seem to like it as well (it's currently in mid-pyrenees).

Ben - I'm sorry to hear about your legs -

Ben Rubinstein

How do you seperate photography and vision Jono? Is the definition of the former just the technical aspects? If so then why would books and workshops be relevant? I'd understood it that the umbrella of photography traditionally covered both the vision and the methods used to actualise that vision.

To be honest, I always see the phrase 'photography' to belittle what is great about the vision of great art achieved with a camera. Kinda like calling an artist 'painter'. Gives the impression that the greatness achieved is only due to their prowess at the technical aspects of the making of the piece.

jonoslack

How do you seperate photography and vision Jono? Is the definition of the former just the technical aspects? If so then why would books and workshops be relevant? I'd understood it that the umbrella of photography traditionally covered both the vision and the methods used to actualise that vision.

To be honest, I always see the phrase 'photography' to belittle what is great about the vision of great art achieved with a camera. Kinda like calling an artist 'painter'. Gives the impression that the greatness achieved is only due to their prowess at the technical aspects of the making of the piece.
Hi Ben
yep - I think that's how I separated it, at least, 'photography' would include technical aspects which 'vision' would not. as might books or workshops

cam

:ROTFL:
I hadn't heard that one before . . . I have a nice new bag coming from FOGG, I've just been tracking it, unfortunately the french post office seem to like it as well (it's currently in mid-pyrenees).
ooh! does that mean you'll be putting up your old one for sale???

first dibbs!