The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Despair

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"For a distinguished example of breaking news photography in black and white or color, which may consist of a photograph or photographs, a sequence or an album, in print or online or both, Ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

Awarded to Patrick Farrell of The Miami Herald for his provocative, impeccably composed images of despair after Hurricane Ike and other lethal storms caused a humanitarian disaster in Haiti.

(Citation for the 2009 Pulitzer Prize Winner for Breaking News Photography.)

More on the issue of 'Despair' and the photojournalist.

Powerful, moving, Hieronymous Bosch with a camera.

D

ddk

very sad, very powerful images, total absence of hope.
brought tears to my eyes...

thanks for posting.

woodyspedden

Dear God

And we sit here worried about whether we can afford a new lens for the M cameras.

The emotion in Patrick's voice was, in itself, so compelling.

These images evoke this response from me: "There but for the grace of God am I." Thank you dear Lord for my blessings and those around me." Please grant grace to the people of Haiti who endure such endless suffering.

Woody

beamon

Unless one has been on the receiving end of something similar, only photos like Patrick's can get one close to understanding. Dreadful!