The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canceled job.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I need to vent a little. I know my personal life has nothing to do with my business clients but when one screws up the other than it just pisses me off. Well my son Jack 5th grader had his end of elementary school class trip which the whole 5th grade goes to the Grand Canyon from Wednesday until today being Friday. Well Dad had a job early this morning to shoot for a big health care company and it was a golf tourney to shoot each foursome with cheerleaders and mascot from ASU Arizona State University. Well Jack and I had to drive back last night after most of the activities from the trip and they all come home today. Well we drove there so I can return to work. First off he was not real happy about this situation to start with that he had to cut his trip short with his classmates. So risking life and limb we drove back last night at around 8 pm and got home at 11:30 last night. 3.5 hour drive after a long day of exploring and as much coffee as Dad can suck down his system. So I get to the golf course at 7:30 am this morning. No one has any idea I was coming to shoot and the cheerleaders and mascot all cancelled because it was graduation. No phone call, no e-mail and still neither one. The ladies there said they had no idea i was coming and are not prepared for me with the print insert cards and all that. Obviously I was polite and on my way I left with a message to the lady that hired me what happened. So now i obviously lose some money on the printing and most likely have to fight the cancellation fees and worse yet my son is REALLY pissed off and I can't blame him. Only word that i can come up with is Courtesy and the lack of it.:wtf:

Sometimes I just hate this freaking business. :banghead::banghead:

Guy Mancuso

I know, Thanks Cam. Just really gets my goat and just had to vent a little. We all have life up's and down's just nice to have a place that you fell at home with friends to get stuff off your chest once in awhile. I don't normally complain much but some things just eat at your soul. As far as the business side who cares but the personal side affected my kid even though the two should never meet sometimes you just can't separate both.

I think a early cocktail hour may come today. LOL

cam

As far as the business side who cares but the personal side affected my kid even though the two should never meet sometimes you just can't separate both.

I think a early cocktail hour may come today. LOL
you deserve that cocktail, indeed! wish i was there to share it -- i will be in spirit.

and i would have preferred the setting to be with your kid. the Grand Canyon (my particular favourite -- Havasupai) is one of the most spectacular places on earth. i know you're a great dad -- but i do feel for your son too. it's good you have us to vent to as i doubt your son can comprehend that you are as upset as he is.... you just might have to make a special field trip of your own. outings with Daddy make it even more memorable in the long run :D

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Cam, now trying to get some reimbursement for this gig. This is going to be fun. LOL

He wants a new phone for his BD of course you know I will get sand bagged into something. Man wish I was a kid again.

Dale Allyn

Sorry to hear this, Guy. I get this kind of treatment in my business too lately. By lately, I mean in the last several years. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone (present company accepted, of course) has any class at all!

As I trim my client roster of the rude and inconsiderate, I may soon be my only client!

;)

ShiroKuro

The crazy thing is they probably have no idea what you went through to fulfill your obligation in a professional manner ...and yet you get the jobs you do because of your integrity and professionalism ..
More than likely make you jump hoops to get any kind of payment .....
anyway sorry to hear it .....

Henry Goh

Guy, sorry to hear that.

I find dealing with large companies a real pain. Most times the buyer or secretary thinks we are so desperate for their business that they either try to bully or put on airs. I only deal with business owners these days.

I hope you get properly compensated for your time in this incident.

viablex1

yeah dude that blows, everybody wants to "be" a photographer but the actual business end of it sounds like a pain in the ***!!!

atanabe

Guy,
Sorry to hear about your cancelled job. I hope that you will be compensated based on your contract with the sponsor. Too many cuts are being made in health care these days, at my company, all training and seminar expenses are gone. The person who was responsible for notifying all of the hired help must have forgotten to notify you and will most likely honor your cancellation fee. In health care, the email servers are backup up like the NSA and it will be hard to prove that they did not send a cancellation email to you. Good luck!

Al