The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8, 28 'cron, 50 sonnar, fogg bag . . . gone!

Dale Allyn

Sorry to hear of the pick-pockets for you guys. When I travel in high traffic areas (southeast Asia, in my case) I move my wallet to my front pocket. And I carry my mobile phone in my hand or front shirt pocket with a closure (because mobile phones are picked as well). I don' t carry my "real" cash in my wallet, but in my front pocket anyway (together with at least one credit card), but there is usually a few hundred U.S. and at least one credit card in my wallet.

It's annoying to experience these kinds of situations, and I'm sorry that any of us do, but we can take measures to make ourselves less attractive to the "ne'r-do-wells". Jono's situation reminds us to wrap our camera bag strap around our leg, or place it between our feet. Bob (really sorry about your hassle too) reminds us to move our valuables to a front pocket, keep our carry bags in front of us, etc. Ignoring these methods in many congested places around the world, especially if you (we) look like tourists, will cause a lot of inconvenience and expense. Please don't ignore this stuff if traveling to Bangkok's high traffic tourist locales and the like.

Warmest regards,

Dale

Last edited:

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

I remember hearing somewhere that pickpockets often hang around close to where there are signs stating 'warning - pickpockets operate in this area' or the like. The reason being apparantly is that a reflex for a lot of people upon seeing such a sign is to feel their pocket for their wallet which the pickpocket then observes.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow , The camera Gods are certainly with you my friend . Your first first post made my heart sink like a rock, thanks for the second post that really made my day it was all back. Myself I have been very lucky , my wife on the other hand has not. Worse than losing the gear or purse it is the violated part that I think most folks get really upset about. Great post to remind ourselves to be more careful. The worst part of being a camera buff is the amount of money that sits in those little bags, it is not pocket change.