The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M3 that fell from the sky...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I've been laboring for weeks (no, months) about which M-body to get the M3 or the M4 (no electronics).

Now this morning I get an email from my photography, hunting and wine drinking buddy and Leica loving buddy Senior Chief Jake, He had his Leica kit stolen several years ago. Never replaced it but went to Nikon digital. He must know dozens of ex and working Phojos all over the world.

Well a bud of his who was with the L.A. Times had finally decided to sell his last his last Leica (and first Leica) an M3 since he's all digital these days. It just got back from a CLA and is a solid working piece of gear.

So, I'm now waiting for my M3 with a history....

Last edited:

johnastovall

Well the M3 Saga drags on. Current owner started having second thought about not having a film Leica after looking a his slides from Belize. Chief Jake took the role of meidator and (no bones were broken). Now the seller is going to move up to an M6 and I get the M3 at the original price.

Now, maybe it will be here by next Friday.

I still want an M4.....

johnastovall

Well the M3 fell off the back of the UPS truck. It's interesting. Early in it's career (not the buyer I got it from), it had M4 hardware put on it. It's a strange looking thing. It's of to Sherry K. for a full CLA, check over and M3 hardware and new strap lugs.

Front

View attachment 1905

Back

View attachment 1906

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow. The all metal rewind lever, self-timer, frameline selector and film advance lever are major BENEFITS of the M3 (and MP) IMO... Interesting that somebody PAID to have them swapped out for the plastic ones. Glad to hear you are getting it back to original.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It should be beautiful when it is put back to original. Sherry Krauter has done really good work for me in the past. I'm sure your M3 will "purr". Please post another photo of her when she comes back.