The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your first (serious) digital photo.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I suspect most of us on this site shot film originally (many still do) but then made the transition to digital. I'd be interested in seeing your first digital pix, and knowing when you made the switch.

I "converted" in 2001 with a Canon 1D (4.2 mp) and this is my first serious shot taken at Haast Beach, South Island, NZ.

Let's see yours!

Bill

Last edited:

woodyspedden

I suspect most of us on this site shot film originally (many still do) but then made the transition to digital. I'd be interested in seeing your first digital pix, and knowing when you made the switch.

I "converted" in 2001 with a Canon 1D (4.2 mp) and this is my first serious shot taken at Haast Beach, South Island, NZ.

Let's see yours!

Bill
Awfully good first image Bill.

Woody

woodyspedden

When I first got my Digital SLR, a Nikon Dx1, I started a series on the barns of Colorado. These barns are disappearing rapidly and I wanted to do a book showing them in their final stages of decay before they were all gone, replaced by shopping malls and housing developments.

Enjoy

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was a little late to the game. I started with a 1D late in 2002, knew nothing about digital really, so I shot most everything in jpeg mode. Actually liked the results, so bought a 1Ds almost as soon as they came out, early in 2003. Ironically, due to a mess-up on my part regarding proper cataloging of digital data, I ended up inadvertently erasing about 80% of the 1D images I ever took, which is how and when I developed a more bullet-proof storage strategy. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is the first digital image I think of as "serious" enough to have printed, taken with the 1Ds on it's maiden voyage in January of 2003. It is of a side door at Mission Carmel:

PS: IIRC, the lens at the time was a 17mm Tokina AF which had worked very well on my Canon film bodies and the 1D. However, the corners were so bad on the 1Ds I needed to crop them out to about the 20mm FoV you see here. That camera and lens marked the beginning of my search for 'good' Canon wideangles -- and I'm still looking :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Very long time ago for me , maybe the first person on this forum actually. Anyone remember made by Nikon/Fuji a E2n and also a Kodak 420 which we paid 23k for at the time. Honestly I can't remember the year. The Mac AV 840 quadra came out at that time

Found it the Nikon E2n

You have to read this
http://www.nikonweb.com/e2n/

It's still in the cabinet at my old job

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow back in July 1993 the 840AV came out so maybe a year before that 1992 would have been my fist digital capture that's 18 or 19 years ago. Holy smokes

I was a somewhat recent convert to digital in about 2002 with a Canon D30. I bought it to shoot an annual report that was going from concept to print in about a month, and I knew I needed faster turnaround times than was reasonable for film. All the final images were delivered to the art director two days after the shoot. No way I could have scanned all the images in that time.

ReeRay

November 1998. Evidenced by the Pirelli calendar.
I'd just returned from the local camera store with my Olympus C2020 2 m.p. (!) and a friend called around. Inadvertantly, whilst setting it up I pressed the shutter. I liked it :)
Shot in jpeg mode

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Well, without a background in photography or photoshop at all, in 2003 I took on digital photography with a 5MP Olympus E1 and was fascinated by techniques later abused as HDR left right and center.

I will never forget the first 3 months I spent with photoshop. Until then I was not aware about my repertoir on f-words, and often I was tempted to lift that heavy 21" samsung and catapult it out of the window.

However, I still do not consider cameras or software to be the most essential tools for photographers, but boots. :D

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

bensonga

How about first serious digital photo still in existence? I lost quite a few of my early digital images when a hard drive crashed a few years ago. Yup, I learned the hard way and back up my drives regularly now.

This one taken with a Canon G2 in March 2002. Yeah, it was taken with a P&S, but I feel like it's more than just a P&S image. I'm still amazed at how well the G2's 4 megapixel images look today....7 years later.

Gary
Alaska

O

Oxide Blu

Amazing how good the Pirelli calendars can be! :D
The one thing (well 12 of them to be precise!) that I REALLY miss from the UK :cry:

Joking aside, I have admired the quality of the photography in the Pirelli calendars. Over the years some of the best photographers have been commissioned to produce those calendar. Unfortunately the calendars are only available to distributors of Pirelli product -- at least that is what Pirelli told me some years ago when I asked how to a calendar.

http://www.pirellical.com/thecal/home.html

Just goes to prove there really is a website for everything. :D

fotografz

Hmmm, let's see ... first serious digital images.

While I had been shooting digital for some time prior to it, my first important digital gig was about 10 years ago. It was important because it ... 1) was a paid job that I actually WANTED to do ... 2) was very visible in the local creative community ... 3) lead to more interesting paying gigs.

I designed and photographed promotional materials for "Fire Fabulon", a sort of underground act I first saw at "Theater Bizzare" Holloween venue here in Detroit. I think this group also performed at "Burning Man" and other venues like that.

It was the first shoot with my fresh out of the box, crop frame Nikon D1X ... mostly shot with a Nikon AF 28/1.4 ASPH ... a lens I dearly regret selling to this day... one Nikon should bring back in AFS/Nano coated updated form ... and start solving the lack of fast primes.

These are the actual poster designs that were printed around 30"X40" if I recall ... and they held up just fine.

:cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm cheating a bit here, since this is neither my first digital camera nor the first shot with the camera. First, we had a Canon A95 in the office for all kinds of silly things. A year later, in 2005, a friend of mine was going to sell his newly acquired S3, since he wanted to buy a D2x instead. I bought it very reluctantly, since I thought I would continue with film, and stock up on old OM-cameras to last a lifetime :)

Here's the first serious photo from the S3, frame no. 14 (you don't want to see frames 1-13). And don't ask me why I shot at f/9.5. I have no idea. Maybe I didn't know better :rolleyes: The "victim" was my caddie, and we repeated the exercise hundreds of times during the next two years :)

S3 with Tamron 24-135 @ 82mm and f/9.5

jonoslack

Well, Emma actually had a digital camera around 1998, but I stuck rigidly to film, until I bought an Olympus c3030z at the airport on the way to Crete in September 2000, the Contax gear holidayed in my bedroom, and I had to take a trip to Heraklion to get another 16mb card (which cost £128 - I can still remember the pain!).

Here is a shot of Giorgios taking us to Loutro (or possibly to the beach).