The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great GetDPI Northern Arizona Workshop

woodyspedden

Thanks to everyone who commented on my images. I had a ton of fun and met the most delightful folks and some of the images turned out to be pretty good.

See you in New York

Woody

Lisa

Peter, I'm usually bored stiff by Antelope Canyon photos, but that first one of yours is really special. It's absolutely beautiful.

Woody, I really liked the one of all the guys standing around (and some under) the balanced rock. I'm not sure why, but it's somewhere between amusingly surreal and slightly alarming. I like it!

Many other photos here are nice, but those two in particular have a strong emotional impact on me.

Lisa

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
shift was 20 to the left
aperture was f11
hyperfocal distance
the back was shifted to the left... so the crop shown above from the right edge shows full 20mm shift?
very critical with digital. you can set back focus from infinity a little bit ... but be careful.
Where would it be possible to shift maximum?
in the first place with the Digitar 47XL.
Here are the image circles of the Digitars (source: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/digitare_d.pdf or English: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/digitare_e.pdf ) ... in addition a usefull outline of Capture Integration I modified a little bit...
In reality you can use the full range of +/-20mm and +15/-25mm of the WRS with the 47XL* if you can live with the sharpness fall off. The -25mm vertical is only possible when there is sky or something that does not require full sharpness in the respective area. Up to 17mm shift the 47XL is good (at f11 or f16), even 20mm is usable if you beat the file (depends on the subject of course).

* regarding the format of the P45/P25
Here is a diagram from my real world experience shooting this workshop with a P40+ on the Cambo Wide RS with a Schneider 35mm XL. Two frames at maximum shifts to produce an ultra-wide panoramic.

My assignment of "excellent" "good" and "poor" are, if anything, a bit pessimistic.

These results show the possibility to stitch a 100 megapixel rectangular image which is tack sharp corner-to-corner or a 64 megapixel 2:1 image tack sharp corner-to-corner.

The 47mm has an even wider image circle allowing for even higher resolution stitches.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, what was the viewfinder you were using on the WRS-1000?
Carlos,

I had to ask Doug on the viewfinder, as I did not pay attention to this - was so intrigued by the whole camera and back :D

Here his answer:

It's the "Cambo Viewfinder" (not a 3rd party viewfinder) which costs $789 (plus shipping/tax).

A picture is attached (shown with mask - masks costs $189 each) of this viewfinder on a Cambo Wide DS.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've been hard at work since I returned from the workshop, but I had enough time to process some of the images I took.

Here's a couple from Antelope Canyon. I was shooting with Peter's A900 (thanks Peter) since all four of the digital backs were on loan at the time.

Last edited:

etrigan63

Carlos,

I had to ask Doug on the viewfinder, as I did not pay attention to this - was so intrigued by the whole camera and back :D

Here his answer:

It's the "Cambo Viewfinder" (not a 3rd party viewfinder) which costs $789 (plus shipping/tax).

A picture is attached (shown with mask - masks costs $189 each) of this viewfinder on a Cambo Wide DS.
Thanks Peter. I too am intrigued by the WRS-1000 + P40 combo. With the T/S adapter, Cambo will have a very credible response to the Arca Swiss Rm3d (when it finally materializes).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is a HDR 3 shots and just not sure I like it yet. Yes I was hanging off the cliff, don't tell my wife. Than again make sure my life policy is up to date. LOL

kuau

Workshop Member
Guy, looks good to me. Curious, does this scene really require 3 exposures though?
Have you tried photomatix using there blend mode not HDR, very nice to use.
Steven

Guy Mancuso

Well the sky is washed out and part of the rock. So when I shot it was thinking about it but not sure I even liked the light to begin with. This maybe a wash out anyway , seeing if I can save the day on this one. Not sure it is worth it though. I have not tried photomatix but not very impressed with CS4 HDR. There photomerge is a much better tool, they need to work on the HDR side though

Guy Mancuso

BTW I pulled a lot of tricks out of the bag working on the Horseshoe bend shot. Actually this was a good learning lesson and wish i had the chance to show what I did. Next workshop more advanced CS4 tricks