The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is Photography?

Don Libby

Photography is the expression of ones feelings. What made you capture the image in the first place?

Okay I need to speak solely from a landscape point of view. It's a combination of capturing a moment in time along with a fleeting moment of emotion. It's the capturing of a location some people may never get to visit either through distance or ill health. It's also about the prevision of history.

I believe as a landscape photographer I have a debt to repay by capturing the landscape in all its glory, warts and all. Look at how much change has happened in just our lifespan to the glaciers in Glacier National Park? It's conceivable that in a very short period we may have to rename the park.

Everyone is right about light, color, composition but why not build off of it and add painting with pixels?

I've had people actually stand in front of an image in our gallery and weep because it evoke an emotion in them that had been bottled up.

I guess for me photography is sharing.

Once more just my 2¢ worth

Don

By the way a very good question!

LJL

I am much more of a minimalist on this. For me, it boils down to one of two things: Artistic Intent or Editorial Intent. Both contain many of the elements mentioned, but they are only tools to capture, enhance, define, suggest, or reveal what the intent is.

LJ

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Georg, I just love #3. They are all wonderful, but the way you distilled her look to just the essentials has nailed it for me. Light.
Thank you Meilicke. Distilled sounds about right. ;) I remember I had a trial copy of Tiffen DFX when I did that and ran a variety of filters on smart objects until I got to that stage, only I do not remember what filter etc. Really should have safed that process. LOL

Which reminds me, I really liked Tiffen DFX a lot, had it on PC last year before I got my Mac. May be I should buy them, if memory serves they were really top notch stuff.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I am much more of a minimalist on this. For me, it boils down to one of two things: Artistic Intent or Editorial Intent. Both contain many of the elements mentioned, but they are only tools to capture, enhance, define, suggest, or reveal what the intent is.

LJ
Ditto....it's not all there is....but in the end, it's all that matters.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

LJ
I agree. If there's no intent, or message, it may still be a photograph, but it probably isn't mine. Still, Guy's original list is important, since it defines the technical quality of the photo, and establishes how well the message is conveyed.

But what it all boils down to of course, is an excuse to buy more gear :LOL: