The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3x rview at sportsshooter

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This is one of the few tests where the Canon 1DsMkIII comes out ahead of the D3x. I do believe that the differences are not significant and that either camera exceeds my ability ( and desire ) to optimize. Three things jump out though that make me question the test.

1. The shooter is a long time Canon user and has an investment in Canon gear. This makes Canon a clear advantage to his situation. The Canon is a familiar piece of gear and he knows how to get the most out of post processing. In his hands Canon should produce superior results. This is important ..switching for the heck of it may result in worse IQ.

2. Variation of results when viewing for sharpness...are much more likely to be focus errors that sensor,lens differences. These could be limitations of the AF system but are more likely just photographer introduced . And heck..sharpness isn t even the issue .

3. Having shot extensively with both the 24-105/4 Canon and the Nikon 24-70/2.8 ....sorry no comparison. This one isn t close the Nikon blows away the Canon zoom (it should its newer and way more expensive). But in fairness if he is working with strobes in the field then who cares .....shooting at f8-f11 , on a tripod and with strobes....only way to improve IQ is to go to MF.

But like any test ..its pulling out what insights are relevant to an individuals priorities..and you can always learn from a different perspective. Just thought the article needed a rebuttal of sort .