The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The future of CCDs?

This morning I found myself in a waiting room glancing over a 12-month old issue of New Scientist. In it was a brief article that I thought was worthy of mentioning here in order to start a discussion.

In my own words:

If we take the example of the human eye as a camera, in principle, the lens system used is far simpler than the equipment we have for everyday use. This is due to the curvature of the back of the eye. With a curved 'film plane' we no longer have to correct for focus away from the centre of the image, we don't get those super-wide distortions, there is no light drop-off at the edges, etc.
If we assume a digital future (no bendy bits of film ;)) maybe the way forward is to have curved CCDs and much simpler lens designs.

Apparently some progress has been made in this direction, but (there's always a but) it's not currently an easy task to build CCDs in this way.

Speculations please...