The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How well respected is Obama ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have no knowledge of the rest of this meeting. But I think as photographers we all have a good collection of images which in one frame tell a story very different of the rest of the frames.

Also in international diplomacy "respected" and "liked" are very separate (sometimes opposite) terms.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to agree this could actually have been to late for the actually decisive moment. Obama could have held that pose longer than Medvedev and he turned to face the audience. Need the video here. LOL

bensonga

....I think as photographers we all have a good collection of images which in one frame tell a story very different of the rest of the frames.
Agreed. You would think that as still photographers, we would all appreciate this fact all too well.

Maybe the phrase should be "Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics....and Photographs".....in recognition of the reality that both statistics and photographs can be misused, misinterpreted and misunderstood.

Gary

D

ddk

The picture might tell the truth, Obama has no track record, no history in international politics and even his domestic experience is relatively limited, the man has a long way to go to prove himself before people start respecting or liking or even fearing him. Its only at home that people blindly believe that he walks on water... I still need to see him actually do it!

bensonga

The picture might tell the truth, Obama has no track record, no history in international politics and even his domestic experience is relatively limited, the man has a long way to go to prove himself before people start respecting or liking or even fearing him. Its only at home that people blindly believe that he walks on water... I still need to see him actually do it!
Unlike Sarah Palin who was so well qualified to be VP and a potential P. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Gary

bensonga

Whatever you think about Obama....the guy is hardly wet behind the ears or uneducated when it comes to foreign policy etc. Quite the contrary, unlike our fearless leader George W. Bush (let alone Sarah Palin).....Obama has actually thought about the "big issues" of our day long before he ran for elected office:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/world/05nuclear.html

Just one of the benefits of having a well educated and intelligent person in office....they are not coming to the job completely unprepared for it.

Gary

D

ddk

Actually let me start again, what doe's Bush's, McCain's or Palin's shortcoming or strengths have to do with Obama's experience or competence? Wether you like him or not, the man hasn't proven himself and is short on experience, I doubt that even he'll argue that.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I know I shouldn't ....

Something I don't understand is the dogged determination of some folks to continue attacking Sarah Palin. Why is this? Are they afraid of her that much that they feel a continued need of attacking her? There appears to be a downright feeling of hate for this woman that I just don't understand. I may not like Obama and didn't vote for him however I don't hate the guy. I seems to me if a group of people continue attacking a person well after the fact there's more to their hate than meets the eye.

I also disagree with the image provided as I feel that it's cherry picked from what may have been a burst. What do the next couple frames so? Was this picked from a single video frame?

I agree with Gary regarding the multiplication of statistics and photographs - both can be interpreted to meet the goals of many different groups.

Lets put our petty political differences aside and return to the discussions of photography as an art form.

And there you have it - my one and only political response.

Don

By the way the questions posed were hypothetical in nature and require no response.

bensonga

No doubt there are many irrational Palin and Obama haters in this country....we saw alot of that in the campaign. It cuts both ways. However, as much as I have always disagreed with Sarah Palin's actions as governor of Alaska....I do not hate her.....but I sure as heck don't admire her or worship the ground she walks on. I think she is a person capable of great deception and self delusion (as do many of my Republican friends here in Alaska). You'd almost have to have lived here and watched her career and actions over the past several years to understand what many Alaskans think about her performance as an elected official....well before she entered the national arena.

I'm always surprised at folks who think Obama is so unqualified and yet were willing to accept McCain's choice of Sarah Palin for VP. In my own view, it's hard to find someone less qualified than Sarah for that role, let alone President, if it had come to that.

David....I'd be interested to hear what you think (in a PM) after you actually read the NYT article, if you ever do decide to read it.

Since we all know how this can drag on and on with no end in sight....this is my last comment on the topic.

Gary

monza

I'd respect him a lot more if he got out of the private sector...leave healthcare out of the government please, let me buy health insurance like I buy car insurance, life insurance, freight insurance, and homeowner's insurance...let me price it myself and let ME decide what is best for ME, not a bureaucrat. We need competition for healthcare, not the lack of it...

(None of those are tied to my employer, nor do they force me to go to specific providers.)

Next step: actually implement a stimulus that will work -- lower the corporate tax rate to zero, and lower the cap gains tax to zero, for the next 5 years. Want to see the stock market jump and the economy actually be stimulated, with jobs here instead of overseas? That's all it would take. :) And then tax revenues would actually go UP...oh, leave the Bush tax cuts in place, of course.

Guy Mancuso

Let's keep it on the light side folks. Keep it friendly, end of the day we are all forum friends. Thanks from your very non political admin. LOL

bensonga

This was a politically charged thread from the very first post.....with predictable results. I tried not to take the bait and responded (in my first post) in keeping with Doug's and Guy's comments about the nature of the image itself (with all too familiar limitations of time and place).

Sorry for my part in subsequently not keeping it at that level....which in and of itself could have been a very interesting discussion.....if only politics were not involved. ;)

Gary

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guys, no offense, but this can only end badly regardless of what side you are on... So I am going to lock it down.

Guy Mancuso

No issues Gary or from anyone , just know where these threads wind up ( hurt feelings). I actually saw this on CNN earlier . Looked pretty cordial, of course they may have cursed at each other afterwards who knows. Actually the news was to reduce both our nuclear arms by 30 percent.

Hey bud how are ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.