The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Next Road Trip

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay i'm still sick but been thinking about a road trip. Whenever i get bored this always comes up. Last one i did i went to the Flagstaff area and really enjoyed the time on the road by myself without wife and kids and issues on life. It's the Harley open road syndrome without getting run over. LOL

So what's next for everyone . This is your moment.

popum

My favorite road trip is to grab the commuter train and in 65 minutes be in New York City. I then spend the day just wandering, shooting and having a great lunch at some ethnic hole-in-the-wall. When I get tired I just hop back on the train.

New York offers a rich variety of shooting opportunities.

Guy, you should do one of your workshops here.

Mike

Terry

I'm supposed to be staying home and studying for an exam :mad:....clearly there is some procrastination going on :D

.....it is time for me to take a camera out on the streets and wander around the city. My wanderings are usually pretty good practice because I go with one body and one lens and make it work.

I think my next bigger outing will probably be the California Coast for the Carmel workshop....

Guy Mancuso

I love NY . I go as often as i can . I agree we should do a NY trip and one thing nice is i grew up there and know the city very well myself. Besides Jack has never been and he does need to experience it. I went to school there back in the 70's to SVA , yes i am a SVA brat of one year. I also go do a show there every July for 10 days and get my fill when i am there. Best food in the world.

I think a street workshop would be a real kick in the pants in NY. have to think about this one. But for folks in this area , i would say this is a excellent thing to do is jump on the train and go have a shooting day in NY.

Guy Mancuso

I'm supposed to be staying home and studying for an exam :mad:....clearly there is some procrastination going on :D

.....it is time for me to take a camera out on the streets and wander around the city. My wanderings are usually pretty good practice because I go with one body and one lens and make it work.

I think my next bigger outing will probably be the California Coast for the Carmel workshop....

This will be a excellent outing. Carmel and the surrounding area is just a awesome shooting area. I think you may see me out very very early in the morning shooting it up. I'll be dragging all of you with me too:D:D:D

Lars

My next real road trip will be driving back north from Malta to Stockholm mid-April, via Sicily, the length of Italy, Switzerland including Lausanne to see a friend, then the zip though Germany on the Autobahn and over Kobenhavn to Sweden. Total some 3300 km.

Lots of good shooting on the way, which conflicts with the purpose of the trip which is to get from A to B. Toscana is of course always interesting, as is the Alps, and Denmark.

Lars

Last edited:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
My next road trip will be tomorrow. I plan to get up at about 4am and take the M8 and Nocti out one of the very small rural towns in a 40 mile radius and shoot it in the dark and as the sun and people get up. Then have breakfast at the local cafe with the 75'Lux. To me a road trip now is just going out for a few hours in the quiet of the morning to places I may have been but not in that light.

Guy Mancuso

John you should try picking up a IR filter and give that a go early in the morning. Could be a lot of fun with one

johnastovall

John you should try picking up a IR filter and give that a go early in the morning. Could be a lot of fun with one
Yep, I've been thinking about getting a B+W 92 from PopFlash in a 60mm for just such things. Also got to get some Yellow filters for my B&W films stuff.

Lisa

My next real road trip will be driving back north from Malta to Stockholm mid-April, via Sicily, the length of Italy, Switzerland including Lausanne to see a friend, then the zip though Germany on the Autobahn and over Kobenhavn to Sweden. Total some 3300 km.

Lots of good shooting on the way, which conflicts with the purpose of the trip which is to get from A to B. Toscana is of course always interesting, as is the Alps, and Denmark.

Lars
Man, that sounds like fun! There are some wonderful places along that route, some of which I've been to (Malta, Rome/Florence/Tuscany/Venice in Italy, Switzerland). Enjoy!

Lisa

P.S. To Guy, re road trip ideas - have you driven the Redwood Highway (101) from San Francisco to the Oregon border? That's a favorite of mine.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Hahaha. Guy, you beat me to the punch.

My next long trip will be to road trip to all of the states I've not yet been; AND to visit about 2 dozen specific places I've always wanted to see. I figure the trip will take about 10,000 miles (plus a few thousand more I'm sure), and take about 2 months (maybe 3).

When I've actually got a departure date for the trip, I'll post it, and see who would like to grab a coffee. ;)

Lisa

If you haven't seen the Northwest, Olympic National Park in Washington is also wonderful, and has a lot of variety: driftwood-strewn beaches with sea stacks, the lushest, greenest rainforest I've ever seen, scenic mountain lakes, pretty little waterfalls, and snow-capped mountains. It's a huge park, though, and takes a lot of driving to get between the various parts (but that's OK for a road trip, right?). You can fly into Seattle and see a bit of it if you want before renting a car and taking off for Olympic.

Lisa

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Count me in --- i need a road trip too. Would love to do a couple of months, but a week may be all I can get... That is assuming I want to stay married :D

johnastovall

If you haven't seen the Northwest, Olympic National Park in Washington is also wonderful, and has a lot of variety: driftwood-strewn beaches with sea stacks, the lushest, greenest rainforest I've ever seen, scenic mountain lakes, pretty little waterfalls, and snow-capped mountains. It's a huge park, though, and takes a lot of driving to get between the various parts (but that's OK for a road trip, right?). You can fly into Seattle and see a bit of it if you want before renting a car and taking off for Olympic.

Lisa
If you get to the Olympics, you have to nip over Victoria B.C. for at least a night and tea at the Empress.