The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

itune storage for wadia

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm playing around with the wadia ipod transport, sending the digital data to an external DAC. best results are from lossless stored files.

seem to be two choices: apple lossles or wav files. both will eat more space, that's ok, any advice for preference between these two?

jm

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Jim,
I would choose WAV just because it is more of a universal format. You might want to look into the new Chordette by Chord. We just started selling it and I like it.

O

Oxide Blu

Apple lossless is NOT lossless -- it is only "less lossy" than MP3.

WAV files are to audio what RAW files are to photography. And they are big -- very big.

routlaw

i'm playing around with the wadia ipod transport, sending the digital data to an external DAC. best results are from lossless stored files.

seem to be two choices: apple lossles or wav files. both will eat more space, that's ok, any advice for preference between these two?

jm
I am surprised the AIFF file format is not available given this is Apples official recording file format. I have yet to ever see any digital recording not be recorded in AIFF the more or less equivalent version of the PC WAV. This is not to say there aren't recording studios using PC computers for recording, but every redbook cd in my collection are native AIFF files. Regardless figure about 35-40 mb for each WAV or AIFF non compressed audio file around 4 minutes in length give or take a few seconds.

In any case you can store lots of audio with todays massive storage devices even with the non compressed files. I agree with Oxide Blu, apple lossless is not completely lossless, but how much difference you hear will depend upon the rest of your audio system and how resolute it is.

FWIW, my own personal preference is to use a computer based digital front end with external dac/hard drives with my apple laptop and iTunes for jukebox. Have compared this with some very high end digital players including Wadia but prefer the computer based solution.

Hope this helps.

Rob

O

Oxide Blu

... apple lossless is not completely lossless, but how much difference you hear will depend upon the rest of your audio system and how resolute it is.
I agree, thinking if someone already familiar with the source recording is listening they may hear the loss in audio quality, but I question if the loss from using Apple's lossless format will be noticed for casual listening.

I was going to suggest m4p (mpeg 4) compression, Apple is big on it and it is compatible with a lot of media players, should be available on all Apples, but the op limited the choices to only Apple lossless and WAV.

jlm

Workshop Member
went ahead with wav files; at 45meg average, that gives me around 2500 songs on a 120g ipod. tried it out and works very well. lexicon MC12b is doing the dac, BAT amp, watt puppy 7's