The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's your "home" page?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This has little to do with photography, but I'd be interested to know what people are using for the startup or "home" page of their internet browser. I've been using MSN for a long time since it is fairly easy to structure the page with blocks of info I like to have handy. But lately, I am getting increasingly depressed with sensational headlines/links to articles that are often shallow and misleading. I guess it's time for a change.

So when you start up your browser, what's the first page that comes up?

Thanks!
Tim

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
google, and I use adBlocker in firefox
I use their customizable iGoogle and fill it with stuff including an rss reader aimed at this site.
-bob

Terry

I'm on the new Safari and have it setup with their new grid display of 12 different pages for one click access. Getdpi is one of my 12.

Dale Allyn

Home page in Safari on all of my Macs is news.google.com. I've customized it to aggregate news in regions that I follow closest. Other browsers that I use for various projects typically have no home page assigned.

For RSS I use NetNewsWire which is an excellent Mac RRS reader.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Google in Safari, but I'm about ready to can Google and just make GetDPI my homepage!

O

Oxide Blu

Google in Safari, but I'm about ready to can Google and just make GetDPI my homepage!

Don't do it -- the admins are a pain the ***. :D

I'm kind of starting to brewing the mindset that getting totally away from Google may not be such a bad thing.

beamon

So when you start up your browser, what's the first page that comes up?

Thanks!
Tim
Nowadays, blank!

After using several different and getting them customized just the way I want, they would change stuff and leave me unhappy. So, I merely go to the various areas in which I'm interested and accept that it's a few extra keystrokes and minutes. The beauty of being retar...er retired is that I have more time. :D

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Nowadays, blank!
I think I'd have to work up to that but understand the appeal. I've picked up some habits (both good and bad) after years of use. Like being able to scan the DOW, the weather, and a few other bits with one page. But the price to pay for that convenience, whether it's google or MSN is starting to bug me. Wish I could make my very own home page that avoids the pitfalls of a "sponsored" page.

R

roey

Blank page -- when I launch my browser I usually want to go to a specific URL.

To keep track of forums, blogs, and news I use a separate RSS reader application.

sizifo

I'm finding twitter awesome. It's like having hundreds of people browsing the web for you. I don't think I could ever go back to the old "check your 5 favorite sites over and over" mode.

With twitter accessed via an external app, I'm only using the browser for the google reader + facebook. Still trying to figure out how to be more efficient with forums (fori? ). Otherwise the browser has become a secondary tool in some sense

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks to everyone who shared their home page preference. After a short trial with several of the ideas, I've decided on using The New York Times as my home or startup page. That might change, but for now it provides a lot of possible avenues to explore.

Best,
Tim