The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's your "home" page?

kevinparis

i go for a blank page... if i want to go to a page i use often its either in my bookmarks or a couple of keystrokes and I am there.. for the rest.. well just ask google.

customized pages or even tabs are not for me... I remember when the entire internet was about 6 pages :)

cheers
K

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I don't mean to belabor this, but I felt like I wanted to make note of something I've discovered after switching my home page to the NYT. Specifically, that there are a lot of terrific photographers out there!

I know that sounds pretty obvious, but I'd been using MSN as my home page for years. It wasn't uncommon to be faced with a page containing lots of "stock" photography. Which is fine as far as it goes. But every day and several times during the day, the NYT page delivers some truly wonderful photo journalism. Those guys are good.

So purely by chance I've discovered another place to view excellent photos. And I encourage you to look for a publication or blog, or whatever, that might serve as a jumping off point for you when you open your browser. Maybe the NYT isn't your cup of tea, but there's probably a newspaper or publication somewhere that will fit your bill.

If the newspapers are scrambling to stay alive, I feel like the least I can do is show up on their page and maybe count as a click-through. In some roundabout way it might even help photojournalism. Just a thought.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The last zillion years, it has been blank, since I often start the day browsing through a number of pages anyway. I consider changing to Facebook though. I find that a surprisingly inspiring network, and it keeps me in contact with my family as well as old and new friends, most of them living thousands of kilometers away.

O

Oxide Blu

... that & NYTimes are the Best Newspapers around ...:)

Not if you are looking for accuracy in reporting -- the NYT is at the bottom of that toilet. Maybe it is good for original photos, as TRSmith mentions above???

O

Oxide Blu

lxquick is interesting alternative.
I have used ixquick off and on for several months, or so. It's on my browser tool bar. The problem is that I am Google-ized -- trained to rapidly segregate the search returns from a Google search. ixquick's font and layout is more difficult to read and they embed paid search returns in with the regular returns.

Fwiw, Catherine Austin Fitts is associated with ixquick -- on the board of directors or something like that.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There is only one place. GetDPI.com

Seriously it is my home page because it is my home. Of course shared with the tall guy:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I use FireFox and have it set to start with a series of tabs, mostly forums for my various hobbies & interests.

I don't do "Portal" pages. Too much clutter, too much of which is noise. News sites -- nah. Nt the first thing I want to see.

helenhill

Not if you are looking for accuracy in reporting -- the NYT is at the bottom of that toilet. Maybe it is good for original photos, as TRSmith mentions above???
I go to them both for DIFFERENT reasons....
Politics & The World-The Guardian
Arts, photos,City Life ,Fashion- NY Times
:) - helen

Godfrey

I set the home page to one of my own websites.
Loads fast, I don't think about it. Most other things are just a click away.