The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Too Much of a Good Thing

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"The theoretical physicist who ignited the biggest firestorm in the history of the American photography market was simply trying to figure out if his vintage photos were genuine. By the time he learned the answer, two of the country's best-known photography scholars had come under a cloud of suspicion"

Full story...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Makes me very happy that I'm to far too occupied by the visual qualities of an image to worry about the age of the paper it's printed on.

R

Ranger 9

A fairly old article by now, but still interesting. And I wonder how the notions of "vintage", "lifetime", and "original" are going to translate into digital images?

"Yes," says the dealer, "this print has been authenticated as coming from Jeremy Thudpucker's original .NEF file, and he personally clicked the 'Print' button to start it coming out of the Epson." It's just not going to have the same ring, but I'm sure that somehow dealers are finding ways to convince rich people that some digital images are more "original" and consequently more valuable than others.

Arjuna

The Hine prints 'should' have been fifty or more years old: no doubt in fifty years the dealers will be saying: 'they don't make ink-sets like the Epson 3800 Ultrachromes / paper like Epson Velvet Fine Art (choose any printer/ink/paper) any more, that's how you can tell this is a vintage print!"