The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Korean Air Travel Photo Contest (~8/31)

koreanair

Not Available
The 16th Korean Air Travel Photo Contest (~8/31)

[Theme]

“Memorable Travel Moment”
(Any entry which has been submitted for domestic or overseas competition will be disqualified.)

[Eligibility]

Anyone who likes travel and photography

[Application Period]

July 27, 2009 (Mon) ~ August 31(Mon), for 36days

[Details]

■ Photo Size
-Film Camera Photo : Black and White or Color printed photo, <11 X 14> inch
-Digital Camera Photo : Black and White or Color image,
※ In case of preliminary winners, original file registration (over 3000 pixel, available for printing)

■ Contest Submission
-Online: Visit to photo.koreanair.com to download the application form. After completing the form, please save it and send as an attachment.
* Submission is available via mail or in person (For digital camera photos, submission is available
only via online.
- Reception Office Address : HS Ad & Korean Air Travel Photo Contest Office, 12F LG Mapo Bldg., Gongduk-2dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, Korea (Zip code : 121-721)

■ Maximum Number of Submission : Five per entrant (for both film and digital photos)
■ Inquiries :

[Results Announcement/Awards]

■ Announcement : The winners will be announced on September 22(Tue) at our online contest gallery (photo.koreanair.com) and Hankook Ilbo, and notified individually by e-mail.
※ Announcement date can be changed due to schedules

■ Awards Ceremony : October 7 (Wed), 2009. 10:00 Seoul Sejong Center Annex Hall (Gwanghwamun Gallery)

■ Prizes (Combined judging for film and digital entries)

-Grand Prix Prize (1) : A trophy and two prestige class round trip tickets to any Korean Air destination + two domestic economy class round trip tickets-
-Gold Prize(1) : A trophy and two prestige class round trip tickets to any Korean Air destination
-Silver Prize(2) : A trophy and two economy class round trip tickets to any Korean Air destination
-Bronze Prize(6) : A trophy and two economy class round trip tickets to Japan/China/Southeast Asia Korean Air flies
-Meritorious Prize (50): A trophy and two domestic economy class round trip tickets
- Capture the moment prize (5): Canon IXUS90IS
※ The grand prix, gold, silver, and bronze prize winners will attend the Awards Ceremony to receive their awards. If the winners cannot attend the ceremony, their family members with entrusted certificate may attend instead.

[Exhibition/ Period]

■ Seoul - Sejong Center Annex Hall (10.07 ~ 10.13)
■ Busan - Yongdusan Arts Gallery (10.22 ~ 10.27)
■ Daegu - Debec Gaellery (11.04 ~ 11.09)
■ Gwangju - Lotte Arts Gallery (11.12 ~ 11.18)
■ Daejeon - Galleria Department Store (11.20 ~ 11.25)

[Rules]

1) All copyrights of winning photos will belong to Korean Air.
2) Awards will be cancelled for any entry which is imitated, composed, counterfeited, retouched, or have been awarded at any other competition.
3) The winning entrants should submit the original film (for film photo) and the original downloaded file (for digital photo) within the requested time period.
4) All submitted entries will not be returned.5) The supplementary prizes (tickets) are non-transferable except for direct family members.
※ The above timeline may change and for more information on the contest, visit to
{ photo.koreanair.com }

[Etc]
Hosted by Korean Air
Sponsored by Hankook Ilbo and Canon
Organized by Korean Air and HSAd.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
1) All copyrights of winning photos will belong to Korean Air.

That rule right there gives it the Guy no way in hell award. Not a chance

Guy Mancuso

Guy Is this a company sponsored member? or an individual. I would consider this post spam.
I do consider it spam , he is banned but I want to leave this up for the reason I pointed out. I want members to know that a lot of photo contests are like this with they taking your copyright and owning it. As a pro this is a major no no but even as a hobbyist you don't want to fall into this trap. You are giving up your image that you created for one and two you are giving up any potential income from that image and even worse three these bozo's will take you image and USE it for any propose they want for advertising. Just think if the image was good and they made 1000 billboards worldwide with it , you just lost maybe at the minimum 50 k in usage fees. Now folks that is just a scary thought.

Please read the rules before you even read the content and if ever a member has any question on this you can personally e-mail me at [email protected]. I never want to see a member giving up there images for nothing in return. This goes for anything, your images you create have value. This is EXACTLY how our industry gets screwed

Guy Mancuso

So this gets the GetDPI.com "NO way in Hell Award" :deadhorse:

As you can tell I am very passionate about value on your image

Guy Mancuso

BTW thanks to some senior members here that realize the rip off Roger and Don you are my hero's.

Guy Mancuso

BTW also this is a very good discussion just on this topic alone so please if you want to continue asking questions in this area that is what this forum is about.

Guy Mancuso

The thing is I know everyone would love to get published at some point in there life and totally understand that is a pride thing and just makes you feel damn good about your work and I totally agree with those sentiments. When i started out it was a cherished goal and i have done well on that over the years with International, National, Regional and local exposure but I get paid for that also, so it is a given. Hobbyist do not and if you want to get published work with a local newspaper or magazine on editorials and such. Yes there are some contests that are good and do not take all your rights away. Look for those. But their are avenues to get published even if you don't want the money but want the exposure and the newspapers and magazine editorials is a good avenue to look at. Just a couple examples here but their are many just don't give up your rights, money is meaningless sometimes to get published but holding onto your rights is mandatory.

Don Libby

This is a very good topic and more than likely people will have different ideas about what's good for them but the bottom line is never give up your rights.

Not all contests are like this where you sign away your rights however this is a very good case of reading and re-reading all the fine print and if you have a question on a particular item you should be able to contact the people running the contest and get clarification before doing anything else. If they don't respond run away, if you don't like the response and can't resolve it further run away.

This isn't exclusive to contests either. Avoid any contract/contest/function etc where you are signing over your photographic rights.

Guy also brought up the publishing vs money aspect which is also a good topic. You don't necessarily have to be paid to get the exposure case in point for me is I've been published several times this year in a local newspaper that also runs our gallery ad - we've gotten traffic because of that which is great. Another example is that I've signed with Phase One for the use of some of my images that will be used in their ad campaigns, trade shows etc. No compensation however traffic is up on my web gallery and blog because of Phase One. I did not and would never give up any of my rights in either case and yes as much as it's helped it would have been the kiss of death deal breaker if any form of it would have been in the contracts.

Just my 2¢worth here.

LJL

Some of this goes even a bit further. There was a discussion a while back about how some of the photo sites are doing the same thing. One in particular was a paid pro service for posting minigalleries for clients and such. It was Mpix Pro, as part of Millers (the printing operation). They were essentially gaining rights to anything you posted on their service for whatever use they wanted, meaning even reselling your images fro a wedding or something. Not a good thing at all. The insult to injury in this case was that to get the "Pro" service, you had to pay for that too. Bottom line, READ ALL OF THE PRINT, FINE AND OTHERWISE!! There is a lot of this sort of "rights grab" as it is known, so be careful with the contests and stuff as Guy, Don and Roger point out, but also know what is going on with some of the online services that are out there to help make your galleries and sales stuff easier.

LJ

fultonpics

it is nice keeping your rights---it means getting checks each month for old images that you wouldn't get otherwise. plus, why would you give up your rights to use your own picture as you see fit?

having thousands of images published over the years i can honestly say getting 'published' is WAY over rated. no one will read the photo credit other than another photographer, editors at other publications won't care as they see this stuff all day long. giving away rights to an image for someone else's profit is more insane--what if the new owner decides to run billboards, print campaigns etc with your image---you get nothing. so do check out the fine print when sending your pictures off--and make sure to caption them with your rights. if you are more concerned about this, you can go the step of registering them with the Library of Congress--which is very simple.

oh well, guess i won't be getting a free trip on Korean Air anytime soon.

Last edited: