The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Interview with Andreas Kaufmann, CEO of Leica

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
In an exklusive interview with Handelsblatt.com, Andreas Kaufmann, owner and CEO of Leica Camera AG, talks about the sacking of former CEO Steven K. Lee and Leicas plans regarding the M- and R-system. Kaufmann points out that he has a lot of patience regarding Leica. "Our commitment in Solms has a long term perspective", Kaufmann says. "We do not want to make a fast buck here."

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice interview and answered as expected. Pretty upbeat if you ask me. I think Photokinia is worth the trip over there, I see lots of nice products announced.

Terry

Kudos to the interviewer for being very well prepared and asking all the right questions. I concur with Guy. The answers weren't forthcoming but left me very upbeat that he knows exactly what the problems are and what he needs to solve for. The comments about the pricing on the M system Summarit lenses and the CL are very interesting to me and R users seem like they should be encouraged as well.

So Jack and Guy.... Does Andreas have a secret screen name here as well or perhaps there might be some guests looking at the posts on your site as well.

LJL

John,
Thanks for the link. This is an interesting article, and one without speculation and hype. It was interesting to get a peek into Kaufmann's perspective, though he rightfully is playing a bit more close to the vest. Not sure I came away with much more of an impression than the timelines are going to be long for development and products. There might be a lot in the pipeline, but it sounds as if they are tackling a couple things at a time and not going to talk about too much.

His comments about the "mis-match" of Summarits and M8 with respect to price was interesting, along with the hint that there may be a CL type offering under consideration. Not committing anything, but just reading between the lines of his comments.

I still remain confused about the R line. He suggests something very interesting, which I think good, but he is non-committal about other things that folks may still be concerned about (backward compatibility of R lenses). I am not going to speculate on that topic at all, since there has been enough of that already.

His comments about the Digilux 3 were also a bit like shifting sand. He does not seem particularly warm to it, but there may be some longer range commitments that must be supported. Sounds like he likes the concept, but is not completely convinced it is enough for a larger professional customer base at all.

He still seems to have on some rose colored glasses with respect to service. There may be fewer really problematic issues than get blown to larger perceived proportions on the forums, but there must be an awful lot of Leica service techs having a lot of "bad days" as he describes things. He still seems to be avoiding the issues of turnaround times and accurate repairs/adjustments. Because he does not want to talk about them does not mean they do not exist and are not real issues for customers.

On balance, his message was more of stability with a positive tone, which I think is important, given all the tumult lately. Thanks again for pointing this out. Good read.

LJ

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So Jack and Guy.... Does Andreas have a secret screen name here as well or perhaps there might be some guests looking at the posts on your site as well.
If he does, I don't know what it is... But even if I did, I would not divulge it.

:D,

Guy Mancuso

Yes all Leica employees are welcome to be here no doubt and we do have some that I know of but I ain't talking. LOL

But Jack and I do encourage folks from all companies to be a part of the GetDPI forums and a lot are here and have there company info in there signatures. I do send each one a message if they would provide that info in there signatures for the forum members benefit. I like to keep things open like this.

Terry

Not to worry, I was just joking around. I'm just glad they read some of the infoation. I know that if I owned or managed a company in an industry with very active user forums, I would certainly make a point of understanding what the users are saying.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Now this interview sounds like it is from a proper CEO.
I think he did a very good job.
-bob

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
In the "Leica Questions" thread I asked a couple of questions, one of them (post # 38) about R lenses compatibility. Did you ever get an answer or an semi-answer to that question, Guy and Jack ?

At that time I put my question in this way:

"Dear Leica

Would you advise me to continue buying R lenses, or would you advise me to sell the ones I've already bought ?

I don't like to use adapters !
And I haven't got an R camera, I'm just preparing for the "R10".

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634&page=2

Guy Mancuso

In the "Leica Questions" thread I asked a couple of questions, one of them (post # 38) about R lenses compatibility. Did you ever get an answer or an semi-answer to that question, Guy and Jack ?

At that time I put my question in this way:

"Dear Leica

Would you advise me to continue buying R lenses, or would you advise me to sell the ones I've already bought ?

I don't like to use adapters !
And I haven't got an R camera, I'm just preparing for the "R10".

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634&page=2
Great question that I cannot get a answer for.