The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw

Thanks a lot guys!

Cal, I see only broken image links. Do you see the images yourself? What does everyone else see?

carstenw

I see two flower shots on pbase. From the leaves at the bottom of shot 2, it looks like your copy is quite good. How do you find it?

CVickery

I see two flower shots on pbase. From the leaves at the bottom of shot 2, it looks like your copy is quite good. How do you find it?
I'm not sure what's up with pBase...I can only see one of the 4 shots I posted earlier in the thread. What hosting service are others using?

I haven't used the 80-200 extensively yet, but I'm satisfied with what I'm seeing. The IQ isn't in the prime Zeiss league, but it does have the Zeiss look and the IQ is certainly very good. I've loaded up my Contax 167MT with some Ektar so I'm going to see how it and the 35-70 do with film.

Last edited:
B

BenjaminJ

Zeiss Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon on an IR converted Lumix G1.
That's impressive!

I found an annoying problem with the theme of this forum though: when reading a longer post, the red header "burns" into my retina, so when I scrolled down to looked at your B&W picture I saw this cyan/green bar in it, in the place where the red post header was before I scrolled down. Not really a problem with color pictures though.

carstenw

Haha, I would also prefer just shades of grey, but they are photographers here, not professional system admins, so this kind of thing is of lower priority. I do believe that the software here supports different themes, so maybe someone with some knowledge of forum software could lend a hand and offer to help set it up?

carstenw

Another Contax 80-200/4. I am slowly getting to the end of my folder of Tiergarten photos, and although I might go one or two more times, I am beginning to itch for something else, so hopefully within a couple of weeks I will start to post photos of a different nature, no pun intended.

A

akul

Wow Carsten. Beautiful color and detail.

NEX + CY28 ( Shot in JPG, minor process in PS)

philber

Carsten, that last shot is absolutely jaw-dropping, breathtaking, wall-hanging stuff! Heartiest congratulations!

carstenw

Wow, thank you! I personally find it okay, but not super-great, due to the too-close leaves in the top left, not enough in the foreground, and no great centre of attention, but my girlfriend walked by and also complimented me on it, so I guess there are at least two schools of thought.

Philippe, I would like to thank you for pushing me in the direction of the ZF.2 35/1.4. After closely examining many of your photos with this lens, I am sold on it, and it is only a question of time before I buy one. I have a bit of money freed up as of next week (due to a sale which is tantamount to making a pact with the devil), and although I will buy a Leica 180 Cron first, once I decide between that and my Nikkor 200/2 VR, and sell one of them, I will probably use the money to get the 35/1.4.

philber

Carsten, what really works so well for me is how my eyes go to a fro from the flowers to their refelction and back. It gives a sort of dreamy, fantasy dimension to the picture. Like something out of a Tim Burton movie. Everything looks normal and in place, but,somehow, you know that there is more to it, and that what you see is not the whole story. And, in this case, it is a positive feeling, not like in Stephen King novels.

carstenw

Haha, very nice explanation. Do you write a blog or anything like that? You should, at least when inspiration strikes you!

carstenw

Nice shots!

Now that is a lens that I am very curious about! It looks competent in all your shots, but in shot #2 and the last two shots, I get a hint of very nice rendering. How do you find it?

Unusual park, btw. Is there a swamp in it?

RonSmith

Thank you Carsten. I see what you mean about the rendering in those three shots. Can't quite describe it, but there's something about it that stands out.

I like the 28 quite well and also use it on my m4/3 Panasonics.

I'm considering getting another Zeiss ... perhaps an 85.

And parts of the lake there are a bit swampy. This is where I get most of my heron and egret photos.

carstenw

Ah, I get Great Blue Herons around Berlin, but not Egrets. Too bad, beautiful birds.

Yes, there is something very subtle and harmonious about the boke in some of the shots I have seen with it. How do you find it in the corners, and for CA in high-contrast situations?

The 85/1.4 is a neat lens, but suffers from quite dramatic focus shift, so if you shoot a lot around f/2-f/5.6, you will probably want to focus stopped down. It has beautiful rendering though.

A

akul

Ron,

Those are great shots with CY 28.

CY28 NEX5

Carsten
Great thing about CY28 2.8 for me, is its size. It is tiny ! For rendition, in comparison to ZF series, it feels like there is a slight blue-ish rendering. However, with NEX, I can't quit compare as they are completely different style cameras. One other thing with CY28 is its strong ( say compare to 35 ) field curvature, which seems to help render volumetric subject very strongly. Not so with planar subjects.

Luka