The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw

Another three ZF.2 28/2 shots, wide open, from last weekend's excursion to Spreewald with a photo buddy:

engel001

Long anticipated, but finally formally introduced: new 25mm f2.0 Distagon in ZF.2 and ZE mounts. Interesting for Zeiss the use of two aspheric surfaces in a prime lens. Details here.

carstenw

Yes, that looks interesting! It would take a fair amount for me to swap my 28/2 for a 25/2 though, so at this point my interest is more academic, however.

Brian S

On loan to me- probably the first Zeiss lens made for a Leica.

Wide-open at F1.5.

from a small test batch of lenses made in 1933.

Last edited:

carstenw

Another couple of ZF.2 28/2 shots, taken on consecutive evenings, both at f/5.6 and ISO 3200. Gotta love that D3. This is the view from my office. Unfortunately, I will probably be moving down to a lower floor at some point in the not too distant future.

arionelli

I wanted to post a few CZ-taken photos here from my pc but couldn't get it going...they are about 4mb tif files...I tried the manage attachments then browse from my pc but nothing seemed to load up...appreciate a little assistance as I'm not at all digital savvy. Thanks,
Martin

carstenw

I would change the resolution to about 900 on the long side, the colour space to sRGB, and the file format to JPG, and then retry. TIFFs are huge.

carstenw

Thanks Ron, although I think I will get wheel-level shots, and they will be cropped somewhat by the edge of the tracks, not so interesting. The building will stick up a little bit, I think. Really not the same.

I like that second shot a lot!

arionelli

Thanks Carsten
I haven't more than a few photos digitalised from my (mostly) Zeiss lenses, and I haven't any extra programs yet to play with digital files other than what is packaged in windows vista, as yet still awed by chromes on a lightbox under Pentax x5.5 loupe (probably start learning something in next year or so).
Here are a few from the 'blad straight off the film scanned cheaply at dev time...PP=0 intentions to post them are for critique and hints from artistic and tech pov.
1st is my 2yo with 120/4 makro-planar cfi in 2010 (?delta 400);
2,3 & 4 with biogon 38/4.5 cf on swc903 in 2006 (velvia 100).

Martin

arionelli

The horizon falling off on rhs of 4 is an illusion, ie the ground rolls away...the rock line itself is the horizon line

arionelli

Thank you...btw I just had a read of something lloyd chambers has to say about the new ZE 25/2 on his site, he has one, and it's quite superlative...this fl has long been my favourite wide in 35mm photog, and I have had 4 previous C/Y copies over the years on RTS II & III...I am still quandering(?) about a return to 35mm slr, now digital, or to slide down the mfdb route with my present C645...I have noticed you are/were into the C645 also...do you think the current or possibly next gen dslrs wielding Zx are or will be good enough to make satisfying 60x90cm ish enlargements?

carstenw

Lloyd Chambers is a bit unreliable with his praise. This lens appears to have weak extreme corners, like the 25/2.8 and 28/2 before it (I own the 28/2, great lens), and the 25/2.8 was also extremely sharp. Both have mustache distortion, the 25/2.8 about 2.3% max, and the 25/2 2% max. The old 25 already had great colour and contrast, and could focus closer, with somewhat messier corners. The main advancement of the new lens is improved CA, and a secondary aspect is the somewhat better corners. Considering that the old lens can often be found for 500 Euro used but in perfect shape, and the new one costs 1500 Euro or so, I think this lens is not really worth it. I picked up my ZF.2 28/2 for about half of this lens, and it is perfect with the packaging and everything, and is a great lens.

In summary, it is undoubtedly better than the old 25, but the price more than compensates for that, and we are into diminishing returns territory. I think Lloyd Chambers is fair on the old lens, but too easy on the new lens. I personally wish that Zeiss would make certain lenses 5% larger and fix those corners (25/2, 25/2.8, 28/2, 50/2MP).

---

I had a Sinar 22MP eMotion 54 LV back for my Contax, and when it worked well, it was a fantastic combination, high DR, beautiful tonality, and fully able to extract the most from those awesome Contax 645 lenses. However, there was something not reliable about the combination and I had way too many exposure problems, so I sold it again. I think I would get a D3x before trying that again. I doubt I will ever need more.

Of course, if I had lots of money, I would love another MFDB, and were money more plentiful in my life, I would pick the P45+, and if it were much more plentiful, I would choose either Leaf Aptus-II 12, P65+ or IQ 180, the important thing being the full frame sensor.

bensonga

Ron -- I love the shots with your Contax Zeiss 28mm, both the B&W and color. Lots of terrific work on your Flickr Photostream....I look forward to seeing your images on a regular basis now.

The many excellent images here inspired me to take the Hasselblad out recently. This photo was taken with with the 60mm CFi lens on Velvia 100.

Gary

dude163

here is a 1953 CZJ Tessar T* 50/2.8 on a pentax KX ( m42 mount)

Contax Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 on a Canon rebelXT