The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HDR Images

carstenw

Okay, this is going to get me lynched, but I would like to see your HDR photos here, and listen to you describe how you shot and post-processed it, in as much detail as you like.

I will start off with a couple of oldies, which happen to be panoramas, in addition to being done in HDR fashion.

These were both done with the Leica M8, I believe with the Tri Elmar at 16mm and 18mm respectively. I used Photomatix Pro to process the HDRs and Autopano Pro to assemble them into panoramas.

I should point out that in general I am not interested in pursuing the wild-colour look, but I wanted to know how to do it, and had fun trying.

woodyspedden

Carsten

These look really good to me.

I too have been experimenting with HDR recently and find that, with work, you can get great DR shots without the so called classic HDR look! However if you go a little bit over the top you can end up with a real mess.

As a landscape shooter I am fascinated with what HDR could do for me if implemented properly. I am now using Nik's HDR Efex Pro and it seems to be one of the better ones. I also have Photomatix from a long time ago but haven't really used it yet.

Hopefully lots of folks will post here so we can see more of what is possible.

Woody

carstenw

That shot looks good, Richard, although it is a little hard to see where the shadow detail is which required it to be an HDR, since it is a bit small. Nice work though.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I guess this falls under the classic HDR look - but I always process the image I take away in my head, ie how I think I saw it.

This is taken with a Panosonic G1 with Meyer Trioplan 100mm and is a single image HDR processed in HDRExpress

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
. . and another single image HDR processed in HDRExpress, taken with a Ricoh GXR with 50mm module (cross posted in Ricoh thread)

Keith

ustein

Contributing Editor
>single image HDR processed in HDRExpress

Not sure what you mean by this. A single image from the G1 is never HDR (high dynamic range).

THere is:

1. HDR (like high dynamic range)
2. The infamous HDR look (can be done with single images)
3. Images processed in a HDR tool (e.g. HDRExpress)

You mean #3?

Uwe

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Uwe

#2. Just one image (not multiples, ie 3, 5,7 as per traditional HDR etc) processed in HDR Express, then tone mapped (I then tweak in LightRoom) Most HDR software seems to have this single image processing capability now.

Seems to work well for some images and gets rid of the problems of ghosting and/or movement

Keith

Bugleone

I love that train in station shot at the top of page,...Carsten. It's quite 'different' and not something you see every day,...the composition is superb for a panorama because all the curves compliment eachother,..one of the best shots I have seen here.

carstenw

Thanks! Maybe I should have another go at stitching, resizing and sharpening it, as well as working on the colour. I think it might look better a bit more realistic.