The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The "other" Nikkors

V

Vivek

After my NEX-7 arrived, I put one of my old favorites, a Nikkor-O 55/1.2 (AKA CRT-Nikkor) in a focus helicoid to use. While a fast lens in this focal length range is just superfluous for actual shooting purposes, for my needs, this old timer is just nothing but full of pleasant surprises.

So, I thought I will start a thread on these to share some experiences. Everyone, needless to say, is welcome to share their thoughts/experiences/images. Any old Nikkor that was not originally designed as a photographic taking lens is welcome! :)

Out of madness, I have actually used this 55/1.2 on a Bessa-L, previously. Very limited area of a full frame is in focus in such cases. On an APS-C sensor, it seems to be brilliant (more info on 55/1.2 CRT Nikkor can be found on Akiyama's site). I will add some pics later.

The lens mounted on a Bessa-L:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Normal photographic images from this lens, one would not find it anywhere. Here is a snap from an Ultramicronikkor 55/2.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-7, Ultramicronikkor 55/2 @ f/2.8

This was a wafer lens made for the semiconductor industry in the 1960s. I bought it after seeing an advert from a local camera shop in a camera magazine. At that time I had no clue what this was made for. I found Michio Akiyama's site through google and saw a picture of this lens. I requested him to translate the pages in English so that more could get to know about such lenses.

This would focus to infinity on a NEX-7 (and cover the whole frame) although it was made for a magnification of 1/5X (resolution >500 lp/mm in green light).

V

Vivek

Thanks, Michiel!

The one on the Bessa L is a Nikkor-O 55/1.2 and the sample shot I show is from an Ultramicronikkor 55/2. Both are very different lenses.

I have way too many lenses.:eek: