The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The pen F lenses from Olympus

V

Vivek

I had posted a few pictures taken using my pen F lenses. They appear to be better and better when new technology comes in. First it was the incomparable Panasonic G1, now in 2011, it is the Sony NEX-7.

While the experience of using these lenses on film cameras is totally different than the ones with liveview and digital sensors, the bottomline is that they are still relevant and useful.

Let us have this thread for the pen F lenses to share photos and anything/everything related to them.:)

A pen F 42/1.2 on Panasonic G1:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

V

Vivek

I do not have any "real" pictures to share at the moment for several reasons. Here are a couple of test snaps (although shot RAW, only resizing, watermarking was done, all were hand held shots).

1. Olympus pen F 42/1.2 on NEX-7 (ISO400 or thereabouts, ambient (LED) lighting).

2. Olympus pen F 60/1.5 on NEX-7.

3. Olympus pen F 38/3.5 Macro wide open on NEX-7 (absolutely no justice at all for this fabulous piece of glass! :eek:).

V

Vivek

FWIW: here is my quick take on the pen F lenses on the NEX-7:

I tried the following pen F lenses (with their proper hoods):

1. 25/2.8 (fabulous @f/5.6 for infinity shots, no need to stop down any further!).

2. 38/1.8 not that contrasty wide open but still better than many other brands.

3. 38/2.8 pancake. Simply awesome for street shooting!

4. 38/2.8 (rarer tessar clone). OK.

5. 38/3.5 Macro. Superb!

6. 40/1.4 The best among the pen F!

7. 42/1.2 Dreamy bokeh.

8. 60/1.5 Awesome lens! Can’t find a better portrait lens!

9. 70/2 Really nice lens (find a good sample!).

10. 100/3.5 Superb!

11. 150/4 Very nice compact tele!

12. 250/5 Again very nice compact tele!

I do not have the 20/3.5. I have not tested the 25/4 (will not be better than the 25/2.8 is my guess).