The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to calculate "Mamicon" wide angle lens fov?

lowep

OK so I have an aging Mamiya 7 with an 80mm lens gathering dust in my cabinet. Right below it I have a Canon WD-58 0.7 x 58 wide-converter leftover from my dead video camera. Today I find out both have a filter diameter of 58mm so the Canon 0.7 wide-converter fits perfectly on the Mamiya 80mm lens.

Before I did not have a wide angle lens for the Mamiya 7. Now I do :)

The only problem is that since the Mamiya 7 is a rangefinder I have no idea how wide the field of view is when the 0.7 Canon converter is mounted on the Mamiya 80mm lens. This is not a serious problem as I figure it will give a surprise bonus every time I develop whatever I shoot this way ie I can be sure whatever I see in the yellow frame of the rangefinder will be in the photo but will not know for sure what else I get at the edges of the frame until I see the negative - a bit like shooting blindfolded.

But being a calculating geek, before I shoot a test roll I am now trying to calculate about how wide the resulting field of view (fov?) will be when the 0.7 wide converter is mounted on the 80mm lens.

Two questions:

Could it be something like: 80mm lens x 0.70 converter = 56mm fov?

Would 56mm fov on the Mamiya 7 (6x7 format) be roughly equivalent to (about 2x) 28mm on a 35mm DSLR?

If this is the case maybe I can count on whatever ends up in the rangefinder will be in view (not just whatever is in the yellow reference frame inside the rangefinder) :loco:

V

Vivek

lowep,

You may have even more serious of a problem than not knowing the angle of coverage. The wide converter on that lens may not let the combo focus correctly.

You can demystify the RF by doing a simple thing. Add a tracing paper or a ground glass plate at the film gate, open the shutter on the cam/lens and check if the infinity focus is correct.

Oh, in that process, you will also be able to find the angle of coverage.

lowep

Hey Vivek, thanks for this good suggestion about tracing paper. I will check. Maybe what I lose in focusing accuracy I gain in depth of field?

lowep

according to the specs this is a zoom-through (afocal*) adapter -- like the lens elements in the front part of this telephoto lens diagram -- so if i am very lucky the focus will not be effected.

* "...A "zoom through" wide-angle*adapter is what's technically known as an "Afocal" attachment. “Afocal” means that there is no focal point produced by the adapter, but rather a resizing of the image...."

Will try with tracing paper tomorrow (maybe more fun than actually using this thing to take photos :-/)

V

Vivek

Well, since I have tried many of these "afocal" adapters on various lenses, I said that you may not get the focus right with the combo.

Try it and let us know. ;)

lowep

Well, since I have tried many of these "afocal" adapters on various lenses, I said that you may not get the focus right with the combo.

Try it and let us know. ;)
OK I tried it with a piece of semi-transparent baking paper from the kitchen, some sticky tape, a magnifier, tripod and a reading lamp.

So guess who has for sale a pristine Canon WD-58 paperweight?

The 80mm lens focussed at 1.5 meters on the lamp whereas the superdooper-zoom through-afocal Canon WD-58 mounted on the 80mm lens focussed at 1.75 meters, the rest as they say is history - but it was fun to try and I do appreciate very much this suggestion that saved me a roll of film and a trip to the lab.