The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good options for underwater photography?

Hi everyone,

I am planning on doing some underwater photography along the Sydney coast.

This is my first foray into underwater photography, so I'm wondering what are some good starting option in terms of gear?

I am a student of limited funds, but with grand ambitions.

Henry

carstenw

AFAIK you have the choice between a Nikonos :))), an underwater camera housing (which can cost as much as the camera), and a water-sealed camera, like one of the Olympus tough compacts. With limited funds, I would start with the latter, and if you enjoy it, save up more money with time.

Udo

Henry,

you're not saying whether you already own any camera (and which type), which might be used underwater. And do you need it for scuba diving or for snorkeling? There are some universal transparent flexible underwater 'bags' available for many different camera types made by Ewamarine. Those can be used up to 10 m depth.

For some point and shoot digital cameras (especially from Canon) transparent plastic housings are offered at affordable prices. Some of them are suitable up to 30 m depth.

As Carsten already mentioned, there is a new bread on the market of well protected all weather cameras which can be used sometimes up to 10 m depth. At least there are models from Nikon and Canon.

The Nikonos which has been mentioned is a film camera, which is no longer produced. There was a rangefinder (Nikonos I....V) and a Nokonos RS (SLR). Both had excellent glass.

I am sure that there are way more alternatives in the meantime, so I'd recommend to check e.g. the wetpixel forum for further info.

Cheers from the Red Sea,
Udo

Hi Guys,
Thanks very much for the info and suggestions.
This would be for not very deep stuff, and not Scuba diving.

I'll investigate your suggestions Carsten & Udo.

Cheers,

Henry

MichaelS

I had a friend that loved his Pentax P&S waterproof crush proof style (similar to the Olympus Tough line mentioned above) for snorkeling and such.