Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: "Capturing Infrared"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: "Capturing Infrared"

I have a faint hot spot when I use my Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 pro lens on my G1. It is noticible on the raw file, but when I'm finished processing, you don't see it. It is more of a loss of contrast, and only a bit of extra luminosity.
    Since the coatings inside a lens can give off IR and cause the hot spot, I imagine that the amount of bright sun would make a difference in the spot effect. If you are not seeing it, I would not worry about it. I will be getting that 16-50mm kit lens in about a week, and I'll try it out on my NEX7 665nm, and let you know if I see it or not in my photos.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the kit lens pretty good for such a small "kit" lens. I'd say pretty usable across the range. But it is clearly to see the 50 1.8 is better. The 20 2.8 is better too but less so. If I recall well, you have some Touit glass, right?
    Why do you need the kit lens? It nicely collapses when the camera sleeps but it takes time for it to be ready to take a pic. With my Nex 6 it was painfully slow. With the A6000 is much faster to deploy. I could live with it but with the Nex 6 it used to get on my nerves.
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I have a faint hot spot when I use my Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 pro lens on my G1. It is noticible on the raw file, but when I'm finished processing, you don't see it. It is more of a loss of contrast, and only a bit of extra luminosity.
    Since the coatings inside a lens can give off IR and cause the hot spot, I imagine that the amount of bright sun would make a difference in the spot effect. If you are not seeing it, I would not worry about it. I will be getting that 16-50mm kit lens in about a week, and I'll try it out on my NEX7 665nm, and let you know if I see it or not in my photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eduardo,
    You are correct. I have the Touit lens and some Leica lenses for on my IR cam. I'm going to get an A6000 to keep in my purse, and I want the kit lens for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Skies were perfect today for shooting IR so I went to the park with the NEX 5N-IR (720nm) and my new 12mm Touit (I couldn't resist the two Touits deal at B&H). Processed in LR with custom dng WB profile and then RB channel flip in CS6.

Really beautiful photos. Pretty amazing lens, isn't it?
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One more from today's shoot with the 12mm Touit on the NEX 5N-IR. The relatively compact little 12mm Touit also works nicely on my A6000 and A7R.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Really beautiful photos. Pretty amazing lens, isn't it?
    Thanks Cindy. Yes, I'm very happy with the 12mm Touit. I haven't done much yet with the 32mm Planar, but I'll give it a workout soon as well.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eduardo,
    I wanted to find out about the Sony 16-50 hot spot. It was reported on Dpreview that the lens is good at f/8, but the hot spot appears at f/16 and f/22. I was wondering what f-stop you used for your test photo?
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 11th June 2014 at 08:43.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Eduardo,
    I wanted to find out about the Sony 16-50 hot spot. It was reported on Dpreview that the lens is good at f/8, but the hot spot appears at f/16 and f/32. I was wondering what f-stop you used for your test photo?
    I just tried the 16-50 pz that came with my A6000 on the NEX 5N-IR and it does hotpot when stopped down below 5.6. LR screen grab below with f/22 in upper left followed by f/16, f/11, f/8, f/5.6, and f/4 lower right. Doesn't get really bad until about f/16.

Last edited by scho; 11th June 2014 at 08:36.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Carl. That is an excellent display of the hot spot. I could live with f/8 or below, but I doubt I will use mine on my infrared camera. I think the two Zeiss Touits will pretty well cover me.

I have over the years found a few lenses that would not go to infinity with my G1 665nm IR. My 50 f/1.5 Contax Carl Zeiss Jena and a Pen 60 f/1.5, among others. That is another thing to watch for when picking lenses for a converted camera. That can vary by individual camera conversions and lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Both NEX kit lenses, 18-55 and 16-50 result in hot spots. I've tried to stay below f/8 on the 18-55 and the result is not consistent. It depends on the lighting conditions and angle of the sun on the frame (front and backlighting result in hot spots).

Couple of NEX 18-55 IR:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Carl. That is an excellent display of the hot spot. I could live with f/8 or below, but I doubt I will use mine on my infrared camera. I think the two Zeiss Touits will pretty well cover me.

I have over the years found a few lenses that would not go to infinity with my G1 665nm IR. My 50 f/1.5 Contax Carl Zeiss Jena and a Pen 60 f/1.5, among others. That is another thing to watch for when picking lenses for a converted camera. That can vary by individual camera conversions and lenses.
    That is good to know Cindy. I haven't checked with my older MF lenses to see if there any inf focus problems, but will do so before using them. I also did some hotspot checking on the new 32mm Touit and the hotspot is quite pronounced at f/8 to f/22 with my NEX 5N-IR. No problem with the 12.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One last 12mm Touit shot from yesterday on the NEX 5N-IR. I did the usual R/B channel flip and then made a duplicate which was toned with my NW profile. I stacked the two images with the R/B color layer on top set to color mode with opacity slider at about 60 % to give this resulting blend. Slightly warmer tones in the tree bark and foliage.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is good to know Cindy. I haven't checked with my older MF lenses to see if there any inf focus problems, but will do so before using them. I also did some hotspot checking on the new 32mm Touit and the hotspot is quite pronounced at f/8 to f/22 with my NEX 5N-IR. No problem with the 12.
    Oh, that is too bad about the 32mm Touit. I have one on the way. The 12, I have used quite a bit on the Nex7 IR with no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice, Carl. My favorite thing about IR photography is that you can experiment and get so many different looks. It is always a surprise to find out what you can do with a scene!
    BTW, those were some amazing clouds that you had yesterday!

One last 12mm Touit shot from yesterday on the NEX 5N-IR. I did the usual R/B channel flip and then made a duplicate which was toned with my NW profile. I stacked the two images with the R/B color layer on top set to color mode with opacity slider at about 60 % to give this resulting blend. Slightly warmer tones in the tree bark and foliage.

-Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lidasan View Post
    Both NEX kit lenses, 18-55 and 16-50 result in hot spots. I've tried to stay below f/8 on the 18-55 and the result is not consistent. It depends on the lighting conditions and angle of the sun on the frame (front and backlighting result in hot spots).

Couple of NEX 18-55 IR:

Thank you for confirming this, Thor.

Since hot spots can be created by IR light bouncing off of the internal coating of the lens, I guessed that the amount and angle of the light could make it worse. When I used my Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 pro, I took over a hundred photos and some had the hot spot worse than others (at the same aperture). Funny thing about this all is that my little Panasonic kit lens has always been bullet-proof and my expensive Oly lens has a hot spot. Some Leica lenses were found to have hot spots back when I was shooting IR with a Leica M8. It has nothing to do with the cost or quality of the lens.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Carl. My favorite thing about IR photography is that you can experiment and get so many different looks. It is always a surprise to find out what you can do with a scene!
    BTW, those were some amazing clouds that you had yesterday!
    Thanks Cindy. Yes, there are many possibilities with IR, particularly for the newer IR conversions at 590 and 665 nm.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that is too bad about the 32mm Touit. I have one on the way. The 12, I have used quite a bit on the Nex7 IR with no problem.
    Don't worry. That little 32mm Planar is very sharp and certainly useable. This is at f/4.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, My IR cams are both 665nm. I like the fact that I can put 720nm and 830nm filters on my lens and have those looks, too. Next time, I will go for the Super Color conversion that Eduardo just got on his A6000. Then I would be able to have Super Color, 665nm, 720nm and 830nm with added filters.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, My IR cams are both 665nm. I like the fact that I can put 720nm and 830nm filters on my lens and have those looks, too. Next time, I will go for the Super Color conversion that Eduardo just got on his A6000. Then I would be able to have Super Color, 665nm, 720nm and 830nm with added filters.
    Sounds good. Do you use Lifepixel for conversion service? My last conversion of the NEX 5N was done by Digital Silver Imaging, but it took quite awhile as they had recently split and moved the conversion service to CA from MA. I may give Lifepixel a try next if you folks think that are doing good work.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine is from LifePixel. I bought it from Don Libby. He upgraded to an A7r LifePixel conversion. I think that Eduardo had his A6000 done by LifePixel. I will use LifePixel next time.
    BTW, LifePixel has a lot of Infrared shooting info on their website.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is from Life Pixel. So far so good but it is a bit early to evaluate quality of the conversion. What I can say is that the service and communication is top grade. I did my conversion by mail dropping from B&H and then I had to synchronize the converted camera sent to a hotel destiny in San Diego to my sisters name. Logistics worked because I planned it carefully in advanced and because Daniel Malkin at Life Pixel was all the help that anyone could need.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recomend anyone ordering a conversion from any country in the world. These guys stand behind all the time.
    Imagine, I live in Tulum, Mexico and I'm enjoying an IR converted camera that started selling just 6 weeks ago.
    Well, another boring day in paradise!
    Eduardo

Mine is from LifePixel. I bought it from Don Libby. He upgraded to an A7r LifePixel conversion. I think that Eduardo had his A6000 done by LifePixel. I will use LifePixel next time.
    Last edited by Uaiomex; 11th June 2014 at 22:00.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Mine is from Life Pixel. So far so good but it is a bit early to evaluate quality of the conversion. What I can say is that the service and communication is top grade. I did my conversion by mail dropping from B&H and then I had to synchronize the converted camera sent to a hotel destiny in San Diego to my sisters name. Logistics worked because I planned it carefully in advanced and because Daniel Malkin at Life Pixel was all the help that anyone could need.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recomend anyone ordering a conversion from any country in the world. These guys stand behind all the time.
    Imagine, I live in Tulum, Mexico and I'm enjoying an IR converted camera that started selling just 6 weeks ago.
    Well, another boring day in paradise!
    Eduardo
    Thank you Cindy and Eduardo for your comments about LifePixel and conversions. I'm not ready yet for another IR camera, but LifePixel for a SuperColor conversion is at the top of my wish list.
    Carl
    Gallery

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Palouse Round Barn, 650nm IR

Leaf Aptus 65M 650nm, Phase One DF+, 75-150mm
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Palouse Grain Storage Depot

Leaf Aptus 65M 650nm, Phase One DF+, 35D, 1/15s f/22 ISO50
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 12th June 2014 at 19:39.
    Ylem ...
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham, The color and detail from the Leaf Aptus is amazing.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, the test pictures before with no hot spots visible were shot at f5.6
    I conducted today another small test with the kit zoom lens thinking about what you said and closed down to f16.
    The first one is towards the sun, but I was careful to be in the complete shade under the tree. I can see a faint hot spot. After channel swap it is even harder to see it.
    The second one was shot almost perpendicular to the sun. If there is a hot spot in this picture is very hard to see.
    Next I'll try a bracketed test.
    Regards
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham, The color and detail from the Leaf Aptus is amazing.
    Yes, the Aptus sensor seems pretty amenable to IR conversion.

When you do this:

you end up with a spare IR cut filter frame so I had a local IR conversion house build this for me using the old filter frame and a 650nm cut off filter glass (I got a replacement std IR cut filter assembly so this was now spare). Btw, the BEST $150 I've spent in a long time to resurrect my dormant Leaf back that I'd long since replaced:

One thing I will say though is the 28mp of stopped down IR imagery has a LOT of dust spots at f/22 !!! Luckily I had nearly five hours on a flight home this week to spot my images!
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, yes....the silver lining to the nasty episode.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Two shots of the Inlet Island Fitness center taken with the NEX 5N-IR (720) and Touit 12mm Distagon. Note the strong IR reflections from the windows that behave like hot mirror filters. I guess it might cut down on AC energy costs in the summer. I can also see my reflection in the window in the second shot.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Been on the road traveling to Jackson Hole WY via Moab and haven't had a chance to visit. Thought I'd add this image and later after resting up return and catch up.

Shafer Canyon Overlook, Island in the Sky District, Canyonland Nation Park, Moab UT. Sony A7r (converted to 665nm) using a FE 24-70 (36mm) F/6.3 1/125 ISO 200 and a 830nm filter attached to the lens.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7r IR (665nm) with a FE 24-70 (70mm) and 830nm filter attached. f/6.3 1/125 ISO 160. I've found when shooting with the 830nm filter it easier to set the ISO to "auto" which is something I normally dislike doing yet it work with this filter.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A vineyard inn the hills above Keuka Lake. Nex 5N-IR (720) with Touit 12mm.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Three shot pano using a 830nm filter on the FE 24-70. Handheld, f/8 1/160 ISO 200. I've also tested Sandy's FE 70-200 yesterday and will share shortly.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I tried out Sandy's FE70-200 on the 7rIR yesterday. Driving along Horse Creek Rd in Dubois WY we spotted this small herd of horses and thought it would be an ideal way of testing the lens. Handheld, 200mm f/8 1/125 ISO 100 665nm IR. Yes the lens works.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Three images from the NEX 5N-IR (720) + Touit 12mm down at the waterfront market.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Three beautiful shots. I especially like the false color shot. Post-processing is perfect!

Three images from the NEX 5N-IR (720) + Touit 12mm down at the waterfront market.

-Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Three beautiful shots. I especially like the false color shot. Post-processing is perfect!
    Thank you Cindy.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just checking out the Mamiya 645 55mm f/2.8 N on a Rhinocam adapter with the NEX 5N-IR (720). Yields a nice 80 MP wide angle image (stitched from 6 images), but I still prefer using single shot with the Touit 12mm directly on the NEX 5N.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I tried out Sandy's FE70-200 on the 7rIR yesterday. Driving along Horse Creek Rd in Dubois WY we spotted this small herd of horses and thought it would be an ideal way of testing the lens. Handheld, 200mm f/8 1/125 ISO 100 665nm IR. Yes the lens works.

This is really nice - really nice!!!!! - did I say really nice?

Phil
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

These were posted a while ago - but now they have a "Home"

Full Spetrum converted to B&W P45+ / DF+ / f14 1.3 sec ISO 50 Phase 45mm

Thanks

Phil
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Full Spectrum P45+ DF+ f12 1/50 ISO 50 45mm

Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P45+ Full Spectrum 45mm DF+

Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Many nice additions here, interesting subjects and cameras !

This one is from my FS G1 with an external 850nm filter on the kitlens 14-45

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Phil, thanks for the very kind words.

This is that's left of the cabin from the movie Shane. Shot inside looking out towards the Tetons. Sony A7r (665nm IR) FE24-70 (24mm) f/8 1/160 ISO 100 handheld. Had a little fun processing it.

Off to Yellowstone
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the 12mm Touit on the NEX 5N-IR (720). Three from the Newman Arboretum at Cornell University.

I also processed the last one in false color, but preferred the monochrome for this scene.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony Nex7 665nm, Sony ZA 55 f/1.8 FE
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the beach with full sunshine with the Sony 20mm prime shooting @f8. The sun was at my 7 o'clock. This lens produces hot spots, yes, in plural.
    First one is channel-swap only. You can see a big circle with normal color and outside of it a magenta cast
    Second one is only with +75 saturation just to show how bad can it get.
    I think most lenses if not all will produce hot spots under the right circumstances.
    I'll have to learn to live with it.
    Best
    Eduardo

Last edited by Cindy Flood; 19th June 2014 at 19:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eduardo,
    I tried to see if I could fix your links, but I couldn't. I can not see your photos. Would you please try to re-post them.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Two more market shots taken with the NEX 5N-IR (720) and 12mm Touit.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, I finally tried the like you shared awhile back to set a custom profile. I watched the video on how to do it and was left with the impression that while it might work what happens is that you are setting what you "think" the white balance is or should be. While it helps in resetting the white balance after the setting is saved and opened in LR it nevertheless is not an exact file of what the camera actually captured - it might be close. While it does give more room to work in I'd rather keep doing what I've been doing; that is opening my files in Sony software, saving the RAW file to a Tiff. It might be more time consuming however I know the Tiff is an exact file of what the camera took. I then open the file in either C1 or PS CC for processing.

I've also found that while I can not duplicate the WB of either a 665 or 720 I can come very close to 830nm; but not close enough.

Photographing in infrared is exciting yet very time consuming but I wouldn't trade it. If I ever have a Graham moment with my IQ160 that just might turn into an IR back .

There so much great work here that if I don't visit everyday I feel I loose out.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ