Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: "Capturing Infrared"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: "Capturing Infrared"

The moon with the Full Spectrum G1, and a 850nm in the Nikkor if-ed 300/2.8 + 2x teleconvertor TC300

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From a children's regatta on a nearby lake
    The traditional FS G1 with the 850nm external filter and some PP

C U,
    Rafael
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a solution for infrared white balance when changing filters on a converted camera. Instead of shooting/storing a custom white balance in the camera and wondering it it suits the scene capture a WB file at the beginning using that to set the WB for all files shot using that filter. It appears to be working as planned thus eliminating the need to "wash" the files through the camera software (in my case the really wonky Sony Image Data Converter) instead opening the files in either C1 or Adobe Bridge and setting the WB there.

It's showing promise and I have Ken Doo to thank for putting me on this path.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Been off chasing images so haven't had a lot of time to post images but hopefully will catch up (sort of) today.

Picked up a new 590nm filter and tried it out.

Top image is as shot in camera while the other represents some processing using C1 and PS-CC. Sony A7r Full Spectrum with a 590 filter attached to a FE 24-70 at 25mm. f/8 1/320 ISO 50

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Took this the other day driving through Miami on my way to Globe AZ to meet with a client.

Sony A7r Full Spectrum with a 830nm attached to a FE24-70 (39mm) f/8 1/400 ISO 1000 (ISO set to Auto)

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Last one today as I don't wish to bore anyone...

Shoot at the Golden Spike National Monument while driving to The Palouse.

Sony A7r Full Spectrum FE24-70 at 24mm f/14 1/125 ISO 64. This is the shot that started be thinking of getting the 16-35 which I've now ordered.....

Put the 830nm on for this shot.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Still testing/getting used to the Mitakon 50mm f/.95. From this morning, outside, handheld, f/1.1 1/640 ISO 100. Shot with a 590nm IR filter and later converted in NIK Silver Efex Pro. I really do like this lens!

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Soo many great images in this thread and it inspired me to convert my A7r to Full Spectrum for the flexibility of being able to shoot in any of the band/wavelength that the sensor sees. Should be fun. LifePixel is currently doing their 20% off sale right now so if you're on the fence there's a reason to get off of it. I used the link through Don's Blog and I don't see any reason not to help out if you're planning on conversion (unless someone else here is affiliated.)
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Soo many great images in this thread and it inspired me to convert my A7r to Full Spectrum for the flexibility of being able to shoot in any of the band/wavelength that the sensor sees. Should be fun. LifePixel is currently doing their 20% off sale right now so if you're on the fence there's a reason to get off of it. I used the link through Don's Blog and I don't see any reason not to help out if you're planning on conversion (unless someone else here is affiliated.)

Thanks for the support! Now you get the best of all - you can use just about any lens filter to get the look you're after.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Testing the new FE16-35 to see how well it plays in IR. This was captured using a Sony A7r converted to full spectrum and using a 830nm filter on the lens. f/8 1/400 ISO 640 (I normally keep the ISO on "Auto" when using the 830nm filter). No crop...

I've shared more on our latest blog...

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

While slower than I like for visible light it seems these FE lenses are great for IR seeing how shooting in high sun is he preferred IR method. Still contemplating the 70-200 and 16-35 but I'm through my lens budget until next year unless I sale something... So where did I put all those Leica lenses...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tre, I would have gone for an IR conversion ( say 590nm, add stronger filters on the lens when needed) than "FS", unless you shoot in the UV with special lenses.

I plan to make my 7r IR if i get the A7II.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A6000 full spectrum and Zeiss Touit 12mm with 590nm filter

-Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have a question though for you Don since you are specifically using an A7R. How's the noise and response on the A7R for near IR or UV compared to visible light? Are you seeing that you are shooting at lower ISO or higher shutter speed in comparison?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Tre, I would have gone for an IR conversion ( say 590nm, add stronger filters on the lens when needed) than "FS", unless you shoot in the UV with special lenses.

I plan to make my 7r IR if i get the A7II.
    I thought about that really hard at first but I really like to have as many options available to me. I can always get a UV filter, a visible light filter, and/or any combination of IR filters. I don't have any UV lenses yet (and I'm not sure about the response to UV on any of my current lenses) but it's something that interests me as well for fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I'm working on a solution for infrared white balance when changing filters on a converted camera. Instead of shooting/storing a custom white balance in the camera and wondering it it suits the scene capture a WB file at the beginning using that to set the WB for all files shot using that filter. It appears to be working as planned thus eliminating the need to "wash" the files through the camera software (in my case the really wonky Sony Image Data Converter) instead opening the files in either C1 or Adobe Bridge and setting the WB there.

It's showing promise and I have Ken Doo to thank for putting me on this path.

Don

I have mentioned this before, but for new IR users, I'll post it again. For each camera/filter combination make a camera profile in Lightroom or Adobe Bridge by:
    Save a Raw file to a .dng
    Open .dng in Adobe Profile Editor (download from Adobe for free)
    Under the Color Matrices tab, set temperature to -85
    Name and Export to Camera Profile

When you shoot a photo with that filter, select the Camera Profile in Lightroom or Bridge. You can then use the eyedropper to tweak the white balance if needed.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I have mentioned this before, but for new IR users, I'll post it again. For each camera/filter combination make a camera profile in Lightroom or Adobe Bridge by:
    Save a Raw file to a .dng
    Open .dng in Adobe Profile Editor (download from Adobe for free)
    Under the Color Matrices tab, set temperature to -85
    Name and Export to Camera Profile

When you shoot a photo with that filter, select the Camera Profile in Lightroom or Bridge. You can then use the eyedropper to tweak the white balance if needed.
    Thanks for this and I've read this I think on a previous page over the last few days. I still use Lightroom but I've been forcing myself to use/learn C1P8 the last couple months.

I saw there was also a lot of filter talk... Any filter recommendations from personal experience since some time has gone by since the last comments were made? I looked at the Kolari's earlier today and they seem to be decently priced but are there any systems that will prevent me from having to buy the same filers in multiple sizes? I'm most interested initially in the 550-590nm, the 800nm+ wavelengths, and the ability to take normal pictures as well. My lenses vary between 49mm, 67mm, 72mm,and 77mm.

On a side note this is a great thread that perhaps it gets lost in the "nether realm" between the camera boards and the Buy/Sell section. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to move it near the camera talk or have it in the alternative board or make an alternative EM spectrum location for those that do IR/UV/Astrophotography/forensics?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a sophisticated (but pretty expensive) way to WB. Use a spectralon WB disc to do an in camera WB (works with Sony cams and with Sony IDC) and shoot away.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought about that really hard at first but I really like to have as many options available to me. I can always get a UV filter, a visible light filter, and/or any combination of IR filters. I don't have any UV lenses yet (and I'm not sure about the response to UV on any of my current lenses) but it's something that interests me as well for fun.
    None in your list will do.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

None in your list will do.
    Yeah I haven't updated that thing in quite a white but I suspect none that I own would be good for anything except MAYBE UV-A. Have any recommendations?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It has been 10 years (or more) since I found the Novoflex Noflexar 35/3.5 to be suitable for UV photography and since then things opened up quite a bit with many finding other suitable candidates. See here an article by Alex H.

Ultraviolet Light Photography - Dyxum

Before my hiatus from here, I agreed with Jack that I will write a piece on UV for getdpi. One of these days, I will get to it. FWIW, I am equipped and practice UV photography from tiny format (m43) to large formats (film). Constantly learning and upgrading (me more than the gear).

For now, let us leave it here (PM me if you have any specific queries) and continue with IR.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been 10 years (or more) since I found the Novoflex Noflexar 35/3.5 to be suitable for UV photography and since then things opened up quite a bit with many finding other suitable candidates. See here an article by Alex H.

Ultraviolet Light Photography - Dyxum

Before my hiatus from here, I agreed with Jack that I will write a piece on UV for getdpi. One of these days, I will get to it. FWIW, I am equipped and practice UV photography from tiny format (m43) to large formats (film). Constantly learning and upgrading (me more than the gear).

For now, let us leave it here (PM me if you have any specific queries) and continue with IR.
    Cool. Thanks... I did see your name floating around on quite a bit on multiple sites related to UV Photography (white papers for testing I assume.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Originally posted by HiredArm...

I saw there was also a lot of filter talk... Any filter recommendations from personal experience since some time has gone by since the last comments were made? I looked at the Kolari's earlier today and they seem to be decently priced but are there any systems that will prevent me from having to buy the same filers in multiple sizes? I'm most interested initially in the 550-590nm, the 800nm+ wavelengths, and the ability to take normal pictures as well. My lenses vary between 49mm, 67mm, 72mm,and 77mm.

On a side note this is a great thread that perhaps it gets lost in the "nether realm" between the camera boards and the Buy/Sell section. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to move it near the camera talk or have it in the alternative board or make an alternative EM spectrum location for those that do IR/UV/Astrophotography/forensics?
    I use only MaxMax CC1 filters for regular photography. For IR, I have several brands, but mostly Kolari. MaxMax and Kolari are similar in price, so if you are ordering the CC1 from MaxMax, then I'd probably order all from them. Shipping costs always add up.

To start, I'd go big with 77mm and use step-up or step-down rings. That causes havoc with hoods and the size is awkward on smaller lenses, so you will eventually want more sizes. I have now settled on 52mm for my whole set (so that I can adapt to smaller Leica/Voigtlander lenses), and the big filter for the rest of my lenses.

BTW, I don't presently use C1, but I think that the white balance camera profile should be able to be loaded into C1.

I will pass your forum request onto the powers that be.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are only two major manufacturers of IR filters: Schott and Hoya.

The rest are resellers with fancy names like Kolari , etc.

Buy it from PRC (China). They use the same glass and it is far cheaper.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a question though for you Don since you are specifically using an A7R. How's the noise and response on the A7R for near IR or UV compared to visible light? Are you seeing that you are shooting at lower ISO or higher shutter speed in comparison?

I now use the 7r to shoot full spectrum, full color, 590, 665, 720 and 830nm. The first conversion was in 665 and I used the 720 and 830 then a couple months later I had the camera re-converted to full spectrum and use the color filter, 590, 720 and 830. Long winded explanation to get to the answer but please bear with me.

The only filter I routinely use "Auto-ISO" on is the 830. In most cases the camera will select 100 however it will go much higher due to the shooting conditions. When using the other filters I normally will shoot at 50 ISO however I have gone to Auto. I also routinely shoot in Manual mode which allows me the flexibility to choose shutter and aperture.

Regarding noise and overall responsiveness - I've seen little noise (of course it's there if I shoot indoors at extreme ISO and faster shutter speeds but clears up opening the lens, slowing down the shutter and bracing the camera on tripod. My goal with this camera is getting away from tripod as much as possible so I'l careful what/where I shoot. Responsiveness can be arbitrary - for me - I have had no problems with the camera. I've been extremely pleased with the files it produces - so long as I do my job. I think the relationship between camera and operator is a partnership - the camera is only as good as the person operating it and occasionally I'll screw up and get a terrible file; then again if I keep my head the camera works well.

On why I decided to go FS. I wanted a camera that was capable of shooting all types of color and IR and going FS fits that bill. FS is "nice" while adding a filter for color is outstanding. Shooting 590, 720 and 830 all offer great files and allows me to carry one camera yet have the ability to use it anyway I want without any loss of functions.

Regarding WB. I used to shoot with an in-camera custom WB however now that I have more than 3-filters to choose from I needed a better way. My main landscape camera for many years has been a technical camera where I'm used to shooting an LCC for each lens on site. This LCC got me thinking of using that with IR work and began testing the effects that a LCC plate or disk would produce. Will a custom WB shot as an LCC be the same as in-camera; the answer is yes. It's also much easier in post as all I have to do is bring up the LCC performing a WB on it and using that for each file shot with that filter; this works equally well in C1-Pro and Adobe Bridge. This eliminates the need to "wash" the files in Sony software. In the end we all have our own workflow and we need to find the one that fits us the most.

Returning to filters...

I had a long conversation with Life Pixel when I had the 7r converted to FS on which filter to get for color; they recommended MaxMax CC1 filters. I went to MaxMax and brought 3-CC1 filters (one for each lens). They work however I found I wasn't totally pleased with the quality and quickly replaced one filter (thread concerns) with a Kolari filter. I was so pleased with the overall quality of the Kolori filter that I ordered the 590 from them. The 720 and 830 filters are a mixture of B&W and Hoya.

I now use a combination of Sony FE 16-35, 24-70 as well as the Mitakon 50mm f/0.95 and a medium format Hartblei 45mm Super Rotator lens. I can capture in the wave lengths using the same type filters. I've found 590 and 830 both work very well for black and white (right now the 830 is edging out the 590 however the 590 is a new filter for me). I've found FS and 720 and 590 produce interesting types of false color and the color filter produces outstanding color files (using both the MaxMax and Kolari filters).

Long winded response to several inquires.

don

I forgot to add one downside in doing the WB as I'm currently doing. While it makes my processing life so much easier it leaves a lot to be desired while shooting. If you shoot with an in-camera set WB the camera (at least the 7r) shows exactly what the sensor sees which is the color of the filter used. Shooting the way I do the sensor sees the filter as red with the overall scene as red. Not a major problem once you get used to what the filter produces in the end however it can take some getting used to.

Based on the above I'd recommend for first time users to go slow. Shoot with the WB set in camera so you'll be able to judge the results as you shoot knowing that you'll add an extra step in processing with another software package.

Last edited by Don Libby; 25th November 2014 at 10:08. Reason: more thoughts...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I now use the 7r to shoot full spectrum, full color, 590, 665, 720 and 830nm. The first conversion was in 665 and I used the 720 and 830 then a couple months later I had the camera re-converted to full spectrum and use the color filter, 590, 720 and 830. Long winded explanation to get to the answer but please bear with me.

The only filter I routinely use "Auto-ISO" on is the 830. In most cases the camera will select 100 however it will go much higher due to the shooting conditions. When using the other filters I normally will shoot at 50 ISO however I have gone to Auto. I also routinely shoot in Manual mode which allows me the flexibility to choose shutter and aperture.

Regarding noise and overall responsiveness - I've seen little noise (of course it's there if I shoot indoors at extreme ISO and faster shutter speeds but clears up opening the lens, slowing down the shutter and bracing the camera on tripod. My goal with this camera is getting away from tripod as much as possible so I'l careful what/where I shoot. Responsiveness can be arbitrary - for me - I have had no problems with the camera. I've been extremely pleased with the files it produces - so long as I do my job. I think the relationship between camera and operator is a partnership - the camera is only as good as the person operating it and occasionally I'll screw up and get a terrible file; then again if I keep my head the camera works well.

On why I decided to go FS. I wanted a camera that was capable of shooting all types of color and IR and going FS fits that bill. FS is "nice" while adding a filter for color is outstanding. Shooting 590, 720 and 830 all offer great files and allows me to carry one camera yet have the ability to use it anyway I want without any loss of functions.

Regarding WB. I used to shoot with an in-camera custom WB however now that I have more than 3-filters to choose from I needed a better way. My main landscape camera for many years has been a technical camera where I'm used to shooting an LCC for each lens on site. This LCC got me thinking of using that with IR work and began testing the effects that a LCC plate or disk would produce. Will a custom WB shot as an LCC be the same as in-camera; the answer is yes. It's also much easier in post as all I have to do is bring up the LCC performing a WB on it and using that for each file shot with that filter; this works equally well in C1-Pro and Adobe Bridge. This eliminates the need to "wash" the files in Sony software. In the end we all have our own workflow and we need to find the one that fits us the most.

Returning to filters...

I had a long conversation with Life Pixel when I had the 7r converted to FS on which filter to get for color; they recommended MaxMax CC1 filters. I went to MaxMax and brought 3-CC1 filters (one for each lens). They work however I found I wasn't totally pleased with the quality and quickly replaced one filter (thread concerns) with a Kolari filter. I was so pleased with the overall quality of the Kolori filter that I ordered the 590 from them. The 720 and 830 filters are a mixture of B&W and Hoya.

I now use a combination of Sony FE 16-35, 24-70 as well as the Mitakon 50mm f/0.95 and a medium format Hartblei 45mm Super Rotator lens. I can capture in the wave lengths using the same type filters. I've found 590 and 830 both work very well for black and white (right now the 830 is edging out the 590 however the 590 is a new filter for me). I've found FS and 720 and 590 produce interesting types of false color and the color filter produces outstanding color files (using both the MaxMax and Kolari filters).

Long winded response to several inquires.

don

I forgot to add one downside in doing the WB as I'm currently doing. While it makes my processing life so much easier it leaves a lot to be desired while shooting. If you shoot with an in-camera set WB the camera (at least the 7r) shows exactly what the sensor sees which is the color of the filter used. Shooting the way I do the sensor sees the filter as red with the overall scene as red. Not a major problem once you get used to what the filter produces in the end however it can take some getting used to.

Based on the above I'd recommend for first time users to go slow. Shoot with the WB set in camera so you'll be able to judge the results as you shoot knowing that you'll add an extra step in processing with another software package.
    Thanks a lot for the lengthy yet concise explanation. I think I was seeing the same thing as far as slightly improved performance with the Kolari v. the Max Max filters earlier in this thread. It looks like the B+W were bleeding IR contamination through as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I contacted Jack Flesher with HiredArm's suggestion:
    Jack suggested moving this thread to the Alternative Forum. This seems to make more sense to me, since we are discussing our work with cameras, and not just new techniques. Feel free to start new threads here if you delve into UV/Astrophotography/forensics, etc.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I contacted Jack Flesher with HiredArm's suggestion:

Jack suggested moving this thread to the Alternative Forum. This seems to make more sense to me, since we are discussing our work with cameras, and not just new techniques. Feel free to start new threads here if you delve into UV/Astrophotography/forensics, etc.
    Thanks. I was just curious about it all. I've periodically followed this thread from a distance and I can say that everyone's included images all had a part in my decision to convert my A7r to a FS camera. So thanks for pushing me to compulsively spend more money... I think.

Post Thanks / Like

.... I can say that everyone's included images all had a part in my decision to convert my A7r to a FS camera. So thanks for pushing me to compulsively spend more money... I think.
    If it makes you feel better, I'm sure you're not the only one. I just sent in my IR converted A7r to be converted (again) to full spectrum.

I really enjoy IR converted cameras (still have my IR GF1) and figure converting the A7r to FS would make more sense than buying a second A7r for normal color. I think.

ken

p.s. Just so the record is clear, it was Don Libby's fault. Damn enablers are everywhere on this site....
    Last edited by kdphotography; 26th November 2014 at 09:25.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    ken

p.s. Just so the record is clear, it was Don Libby's fault. Damn enablers are everywhere on this site....
    I like how you think brotha!!!

...oh an really nice shot.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a lot for the lengthy yet concise explanation. I think I was seeing the same thing as far as slightly improved performance with the Kolari v. the Max Max filters earlier in this thread. It looks like the B+W were bleeding IR contamination through as well.
    Concerning Kolari vs. MaxMax: My opinion is that it is a lot more about technique, processing, lens and sensor, than the Kolari or MaxMax filter itself. I have some from both. They could possibly be a re-brand of the same filters, but I don't know that. For a full-spectrum camera, the MaxMax CC1 is the filter of choice for me for regular shooting. Both MaxMax and Kolari have good IR filters. Just my 2 cents.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stitch of 5 vertical frames. 590nm, then converted to black and white and toned. A6000 fs and Minolta 35 f/2

Nos. 2645 and 49 North Freedom Train Station by cindyflood, on Flickr
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not to flog a dead horse here however I too have both MaxMax and Kolari filters and yes there is little to no difference between the CC1 filters. As far as the glass goes. I've found the MaxMax filters to be very loose in their rings along with the thread to screw them onto the lens to be coarse to the point of cross threading. I brought 3 of the MaxMax CC1 and after a very short while one filter was unusable. I've found the Kolari filters to be very well made and very similar to my B&W filters with them attaching very smoothly. Based on my personal experience I'll stick with Kolari as I plan to replace the MaxMax remaining filters sometime down the road.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This was shot the other day near the Superstition Mountains in Apache Junction. Sony A7r (converted to FS) with a FE 16-35 and 590nm filter, at 26mm f/8 1/640 ISO 200. The file was opened in C1 to correct the WB and lens correction then over to PS-CC and NIK Software. I was trying for something completely different from this however around the 4th or 5th copy I stumbled on this effect and like it so kept working on it.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mesquite Tree on the Walkway 590nm on A6000 FS Sony 70-200 f/4 FE
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 27th December 2014 at 12:01.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony A6000 full spectrum, Voigtlander 35 f/1.2 II, 665nm
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

"Hidden"

Sony A7r FE16-35 (16mm) 590nm f/8 1/500 ISO 100. There was a slight hot spot that was easily corrected.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nex7 665nmAttachment 85678

A6000 665nm Attachment 85681

A6000 590nm Attachment 85679

A6000 590nm Attachment 85680
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com

Post Thanks / Like

not experienced with IR photography. Can you reproduce most of these shots/effects in post?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    not experienced with IR photography. Can you reproduce most of these shots/effects in post?
    The answer is a more of a yes and no. Depending on the program used, depending on the amount of time you want to spend on the file, and depending on which effect you're after. In the end it's much easier and better to have it done in-camera rather than attempt to force it in post. Likewise there's at least 2-separate ways to capture IR; one is using a non-converted camera with a lens attached. This method requires extremely long exposure and a very steady position for the camera. The second is shooting from a converted camera. The converted camera allows you fast handheld shutter speeds. You also use additional lens filters on an already converted camera without loss of speed.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can make a stab at making a regular photo simulate an IR photo in post, but you will not capture the IR light that comes off of plants in the form of a glow, and you will not capture the detail in clouds that is captured with an IR filter.

Post Thanks / Like

At my niece's shamanic wedding back in September in Tepoztlán, México. Supercolor A6000 with the 50mm 1.8. Slight crop.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for quoting old post, but I've just converted my DP1m and keen to learn from your trial and error and so wondering which filter you ended up on to reduce the IR enough but still pass visible light?!

Thanks and love the images. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lidasan View Post
    Here is the screen grab an IR+visible spectrum image via the Sigma DP1 before post-processing a raw capture (X3F file, Sigma-speak for raw). The Foveon sensor captures both the IR and the visible light spectrum when combined with a filter that attenuates the intensity of IR. It took me several trial and errors to find a filter that decreases the intensity of IR and at the same time let the visible spectrum pass through.

Is this "false-color"? I don't know. By convention, "false-color" IR is a term used during post-processing when we adjust the sliders in the Channel Mixer portion of Photoshop. As you can see in the screen grab, the image is a raw file and all sliders are all in neutral setting:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got my return tracking number from LifePixel yesterday after shipping my A7R last week after I was done with all my holiday travel. Looking forward to some multispectral shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

I've shared elsewhere using the same technique/adapters for the Cambo----but really I acquired this for the ease in changing filters shooting my Sony A7r full spectrum.

This is what I'm talking about: XUME 67mm Lens Adapter and Filter Holder Pro Kit B&H Photo Video

They are available in a variety of filter ring sizes as well as individually. By attaching a simple lens adapter to the lens, and a holder on to your filters, you can change filters quickly and easily simply by "slapping" them on. The rare earth magnets hold the filter onto your lens securely. No more twisting filters on and off, no more filter thread jams. Fewer fingerprints on the filter glass. Changing filters on the A7r is so much easier now, especially since with full spectrum I am much more apt to change filters.

Add a filter pouch on your belt: Tamrac MX5388 Filter Belt Pack MX538801 B&H Photo Video

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My IR entry won second place in the annual "Mill As Muse" photo contest held at Raleigh's historic Yates Mill.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got my camera back but my 590nm filters won't be here until tomorrow. In any case this is straight out the camera with a white balance and slight manipulation of highlights and shadows in C1P8. Degradation in sharpness isn't the camera... I shot through a screen in the window because it's cold outside. The camera is as sharp (if not sharper) as usual. Going to do more testing with PS CC when I get the time.

A7R-FS + 55FE

FS_Test by HiredArm, on Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No.

The tonality can't be reached by post manipulations.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

First shot with the A7r + 55FE + 590nm IR filter. I have a lot of refining of my own technique to accomplish still.

IR590_Test by HiredArm, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First IR captures of this beginning spring ...
    Of course, with my FS Panasonic G1 and a 850nm external filter

Overlooking the "Etang du Gris Moulin"

Chateau de La Hulpe

C U,
    Rafael