The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Uaiomex

Thanks Cindy for such kind words bout the image.
I will try your directions and see what happens.
I used super clunky Sony IDC after the limitations of ACR. I'd love to use ACR even more then LR. Need more reading, haha.
I haven't tried profiling shooting green grass. Do I use it as a grey card? If so, isn't it the same thing sampling the grass in the effective image?
If I use a filter (850nm) on my lens, do I lose speed as when using a normal sensor? Is it deep? This image was shot handheld without any sweat. I don't want to lose this.
Tripod time will be fine for the Rhinocam. :)
Well, thanks again for everything.
Have a great weekend
Eduardo

PS The camera came from LifePixel with the WB set at 2500K. The jpegs come with no red cast and both camera monitors look cool to me. Nice!

Glad to have you here. I LOVE this super color. I will get this conversion next time.

What kind of trouble are you having converting to black and white?

Are you doing a custom white balance (shoot green grass). Your Sony will probably show an error, but it will set it.

If you are using LR or ACR, there is a problem getting the WB to set properly. I made a profile following this: Setting White Balance on Infrared Images with Lightroom (with video) | Luminescence of Nature Photography I set the profile on each photo in LR.

I notice that you did not reverse the red and blue channels. By doing that, your false color will have blue in sky. It is not necessary, but it might help to do that before changing to black and white.

Are you converting to black and white in LR or PS? If so, you can move the sliders of the individual colors to help to get the black and white look that you want.

If all else fails, you can buy a 830nm filter for your lens and use that when you want black and white images.

I'm looking forward to more of this awesome Super Color! I wouldn't change a thing in this photo. I really like it just the way that it is.

Last edited:
Graham, the color image "sings." It draws one's eyes to the wedding party, while yet leaving the trees as the major player. Absolutely lovely! (And I'm normally a b&w IR person.) --Barbara

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Eduardo,
The filter factor of the B+W 093 that I have is 20-40. I lose about 5 stops. With the Sony sensor, I can still hand-hold on sunny days, YMMV. For lanscape shots, I would use a tripod.

scho

PS The camera came from LifePixel with the WB set at 2500K. The jpegs come with no red cast and both camera monitors look cool to me. Nice!
The problem with in camera custom WB is if you shoot raw, then the Adobe ACR engine (both in LR and CS6) does not use the custom setting (defaults to min 2000 K). C1 will let you set a custom WB below that and get a better result. If you are shooting jpegs then the in camera custom WB is fine.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The problem with in camera custom WB is if you shoot raw, then the Adobe ACR engine (both in LR and CS6) does not use the custom setting (defaults to min 2000 K). C1 will let you set a custom WB below that and get a better result. If you are shooting jpegs then the in camera custom WB is fine.
The custom profiles that you can set using the tutorial that I linked to allow you to set a lower K value in LR.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carl,
Seems like there are several ways to handle the WB. Don Libby "washes" his files in the native converter. I use the profiles in LR and you use C1. It is great that we can share our ideas and knowledge here.

I just converted about 50 photos (from a shoot with my G1 665nm) using your Canson Platine profile, and they look great.

Uaiomex

Hi Cindy, I dowloaded the Adobe DNG Profiler according to the video.
Life is so much easier now, thanks so much. It seems my monochromes will come fine now.
Possibly too, the weather didn't help much. It's been really chromy here lately.
Best
Eduardo

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thankyou for the feedback everyone. I normally channel swap my raw images (I'm a custom white balance and process in C1 Pro person) and work them in PS/Color Efex/Viveza before deciding whether to keep the faux colour version or not. Silver Efex Pro works well for me for that.

This image was a challenge because there was a very distinctive change in the colour of the trees from the far shadow end to the more open end. I tried to tone it down/blend and in fact there's a lot of cyan desaturation in the file. Converting to B&W seems so easy by comparison :)

It's fun to feel like a newbie plus also be able to shoot ALL DAY and not be a slave to the 30s of morning & evening lightor shooting only intimate landscapes in low contrast light.

f6cvalkyrie

An IR pano consisting of 8 shots from the FS G1 with the 14-45 kitlens and an 850nm external filter

CU,
Rafael

scho

Three walkabout shots taken today with the NEX 5N-IR (720) and 28mm f/2.8 M-Rokkor. I used a custom WB profile as suggested by Cindy to adjust WB in LR.

RB channel flipped image blended with NW tone duplicate. Kept a little color and warmed the highlights.

Ditto above

Just a RB color channel flip.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carl, I like all three, but the middle one has a very surreal feel to it.

Raf, Thank you for the look at the big file. You did a beautiful job of shooting and stitching the exposures.

scho

Carl, I like all three, but the middle one has a very surreal feel to it.
Raf, Thank you for the look at the big file. You did a beautiful job of shooting and stitching the exposures.
Thanks Cindy. Yes, I wanted a bit of drama in this scene.

Uaiomex

Hi there! I was doing some informal tests trying to confirm the so called "hot spot" that seems to show with the Sony 16-50 kit lens.
I've been shooting a few here and there but not seeing anything.
I conducted this informal comparison between the kit lens and the Sony 20 pancake and the Sony 50f1.8
The 16-50 set at 20mm. But its clearly wider than the 20 prime. All were shot at f5.6
I can't see it. Do you?
These pics are straight from the ACR withe the DNG profile. Only changed I did was to equalize brightness as it was a windy-cloudy day.

scho

Hi there! I was doing some informal tests trying to confirm the so called "hot spot" that seems to show with the Sony 16-50 kit lens.
I've been shooting a few here and there but not seeing anything.
I conducted this informal comparison between the kit lens and the Sony 20 pancake and the Sony 50f1.8
The 16-50 set at 20mm. But its clearly wider than the 20 prime. All were shot at f5.6
I can't see it. Do you?
These pics are straight from the ACR withe the DNG profile. Only changed I did was to equalize brightness as it was a windy-cloudy day.

Looks OK to me.

scho

Skies were perfect today for shooting IR so I went to the park with the NEX 5N-IR (720nm) and my new 12mm Touit (I couldn't resist the two Touits deal at B&H). Processed in LR with custom dng WB profile and then RB channel flip in CS6.